Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

KENKO DGX tele converter to be given a pentax look

I guess this a rumors.. I was told the reason why the new Kenko DGX tele converters are not available in a pentax mount is that hoya plan to use the design for a weather sealed versions in 1.4x and 2.0x.. I asked why are not the older TC's available for pentax. Answer.. The older TC's could not communicate the focal length for proper shake reduction function.. The new TC have chip in them that can work out what the FL is when attached to a specific lens. I was told The TC's will be fully compatible with DA & D FA lenses.

10-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
I guess this a rumors.. I was told the reason why the new Kenko DGX tele converters are not available in a pentax mount is that hoya plan to use the design for a weather sealed versions in 1.4x and 2.0x.. I asked why are not the older TC's available for pentax. Answer.. The older TC's could not communicate the focal length for proper shake reduction function.. The new TC have chip in them that can work out what the FL is when attached to a specific lens. I was told The TC's will be fully compatible with DA & D FA lenses.
Told by who? Kenko is part of Hoya too? Maybe they should get their act together and just have one or two names for the optical stuff they sell, haha.

That would be nice to have, but when? The least they could do is tell us of their plans on something like this. It would have saved me and probably quite a few others $150 or more on half baked solutions to our desire for more reach. Pentax Japan didn't even give me a hint when I asked about *any* type of TC (mentioned WR too).
10-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A local ex worker for the importer.. 1st. half of 2011. But I will believe it when I see it. I wouldn't be surprised if hoyatax designed the DGX TC.. As it makes so much sense for a system with in body IS..

Last edited by Adrian Owerko; 10-01-2010 at 10:14 PM.
10-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . .weather sealed versions in 1.4x and 2.0x... chip in them that can work out what the FL . . .
Yes Please.

One of the problems with the SDM TCs on the market is that the camera AF signal over corrects. This is especially noticeable at close focussing distances - I've assumed it to be a result of the camera not knowing that it's dealing with a longer focal length.

10-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A local ex worker for the importer.. 1st. half of 2011. But I will believe it when I see it. I wouldn't be surprised if hoyatax designed the DGX TC.. As it makes so much sense for a system with in body IS..
Yeah it does. Thanks for the information.
10-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Kenko Manager give me a big NO about converter for Pentax and Pentax Product Manager told me that Pentax Japan is answering the Country offices about a chance to sell a converter.
There is no exactly plan to bring a converter.
It will be the same like with the 645.
Pentax was asking all offices for importing the 645 and now we have one.
Maybe the same way to get a converter in early future.

Best regards,Andy
10-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've got a Kenko 1.4 right now that works with HSM.... not sure what the camera thinks is on there focal length wise. It didnt ask me put it that way.
10-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I've got a Kenko 1.4 right now that works with HSM.... not sure what the camera thinks is on there focal length wise. It didnt ask me put it that way.
Inspecting metadata should give you the answer.

10-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Inspecting metadata should give you the answer.
The TC appears to be transparent. The exif in DCU-4 and PhotoME show a focal length of 100mm with my D FA 100mm, regardless of whether the Kenko 1.5 is mounted. What surprised me is that the camera and metadata shows f2.8 wide open. Shutter speed is a stop slower with the TC.

In case anyone is interested, I checked SDM focussing with a 50-135mm yesterday. Focus was automatic, but slowed considerably. It went zzzzzzt zzzt zzt zt, kind of crept up on the focal poiint.

I've only had the Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ for a couple of days, but so far my impression is that if you're just looking at images on a computer screen, you're probably better off to crop. The TC could be an advantage for large prints.
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
was this the old MC4 version that got discontinued? because the new Kenko 1.4x are not available for the Pentax mount.

it's true that Pentax should put their acts together because they are becoming increasingly annoying with these rumours that keeps us guessing. the least they could do is give a hint or announcement of such plan on making. honestly, it didn't make any sense from the start when they made the new 1.4x TC for the other mounts which works while they left Pentax without a single one. the older TC's were working fine to begin with, and all this focal length communication alibi is nothing but baloney. the old 1.5x for example is working fine, except that it's IQ rendering is not up to the 1.4x IQ, even with the 1.7x. for what it's worth, CaNikon for sure are enjoying their time with the cheaper and excellent TC alternative. while Pentax users looked like beggars asking for alms.