Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax have seen the light!

Those of you who has played with the original K-x color simulator may have noticed that this was built with the sad flash technology. Resource hogging, crashy and proprietary Adobe.
Needless to say, it did not work on iOS and the iPad. Pentax did notice, and for the K-r it has chosen a better way that actually works! NB, the iPad (and the iPhone) are quite popular in Japan too.

DCWatch is an invaluable resource for news and details of all things Pentax. Although in Japanese, you can usually gleen a lot from the excellent photos and by using a translation service also learn some interesting things.

The page that presents the K-r and the new Optios is no exception. The gold colored K-r is beautiful! The miniature K-x that is installed in the flash shoe is cute but propbably useless. The Optio RS1000 can be decorated with your own work or professional stuff, for example from the guys behind the robotic K-x (korejanairobo). I guess we will see many cool skins from the fantastic Japanese world of manga and anime for this compact. The Optio NB1000 is even weirder with its [LEGO rip-off] nanoblock surface. Cool but useful? Playing with the blocks may be fun but why on a camera?

Of more interest are some facts about the K-x. It sounds as if the design and the color options was significant for the growing group of young people getting a DSLR for the first time. I think they say that the K-x became the best selling DSLR for Pentax, maybe as a result of the popular color choices.

The "pyramid" image is significant. Where do you see the place for a FF DSLR here? I certainly don't.

The colored versions of the DA35mmF2.4AL should become available in November.

And the color simulator? Yes, it works well on my iPhone and iPad, and loads much faster than the flash version.

Attached Images

10-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I have as much use for a colored camera as a Boar Hog has for tits, yet in my old age and non-conformity I do see this as an excellent Marketing breakthrough for Pentax......and they certainly need help in that area! Although not for me, I can see your excitement, and applaud it!
Best Regards
(Old) Rupert
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Hey, is that putting up the FA 43 F1.9 Ltd as a lens option! Guess they've not forgotten them after all!
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

good to see Pentax invest in the really important issues

10-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I won't be in a hurry to pick up a multi-coloured body, but I've come to like the idea that Pentax are offering such things.

Obviously, there's a certain market *cough* young women *cough*, for whom the colour of their camera is a prominent consideration. So that's a few easy sales for our favourite camera maker. That's obvious enough.

More generally, why should cameras look so serious? Photography is fun, so the tools of the trade might as well be fun as well. I thought that the lego stuff on the little Optio was hilarious.

Last of all, here's an unexpected benefit. On the one hand we are witnessing a continuing encroachment on the freedom of candid street shooting, as the malign forces of paranoia and bureaucracy exert themselves upon our little domain. What's needed, I suggest, is a little humour. If you're in the business of candid street work, one of these "toys" might be your best tool -- people are less likely to feel threatened by these overtly playful devices.
10-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, the silver K-r with the brown grip looked pretty "retro-cool" with the FA ltd. on it!

But then who am I to talk? I bought my wife a red K-x and have no problem "borrowing" it all the time!
10-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You know, I have as much use for a colored camera as a Boar Hog has for tits, yet in my old age and non-conformity I do see this as an excellent Marketing breakthrough for Pentax......and they certainly need help in that area! Although not for me, I can see your excitement, and applaud it!
Best Regards
(Old) Rupert
I gotta smile at your responce Rupert!

Cheers,
Ray

10-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
good to see Pentax invest in the really important issues
This is serious business because the more they sell K-X or K-R , the more money they do the more money they can spend for new camera. At the we win ,
10-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The fastest growing segment of the dSLR market is likely the 20-somethings buying their first dSLR, including an increasing number of young women.

Coloured cameras definitely don't hurt sales among the group.
If Pentax can sell more cameras, it may well provide more funding for more lenses, faster AF etc. ...and well all benefit.
10-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I so wish for colour options for a k5. And of course that is never going to happen. Why not? It is like with cars, always dull black or beige interiors. Blah. Tried a white kx, being from Europe I could not have a turqoise one at that time. But really missed the second wheel. Still use it a lot, next to the K7. Which is by far the superior body. Will upgrade it to K5, and will regret the no colour option deeply. Not even a white one ... deplorabe and dull black it will be.
10-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Actually, the silver K-r with the brown grip looked pretty "retro-cool" with the FA ltd. on it!
\

Thats the colour i got my k-x in
10-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You know, I have as much use for a colored camera as a Boar Hog has for tits
For me this is the line of the week
10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Silver + brown grip + silver 35mm or the 43mm ltd

Brown + tan (pale orange as they call it) + brown 35mm

Actually..... I wanted one of those silver K-7 really bad, but they were just too expensive from 3rd party people who got a hold of them after they were released.
10-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Best Regards
(Old) Rupert
Using a colored camera like hot pink will definitely make everyone think you're much, much younger (where it counts!) ... shades of Hugh Hefner and his bunnies perhaps...
10-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Come on, coloured versions are a not just a "girls thing", to say that is actually detrimental towards woman.

I for one would love a K-r like this:

While everybody makes black, boring entry-levels, they're thinking outside the box and making fun, well-featured DSLRs. Props for Pentax.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 10-03-2010 at 06:27 PM.