Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #16

I for one got tired of waiting for a FF Pentax and now have a FF Nikon, although I still have most of my Pentax gear.

It is interesting that many here are willing to accept the present APSC technology, but if Pentax can sell the 645D at $12,000 a copy, a FF Pentax DSLR should be an easy sell at around $2.500, which many are asking for.

I could no longer wait for Pentax to offer what I needed in my style of Photography, which is why I went elsewhere for my needs. If the K-5 lives up to its hype (IF) I may be able to live with what Pentax has to offer, but my FF Nikon gives me options I can not get with the present Pentax offerings.

Tom

10-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
imho there is no room for pentax FF DSLR.

however if they make it a FF EVIL with fully functional K adapter and shallow mount to be able to adapt rangefinder lenses, it will be a huge hit, even if priced well over 2500$
They'll sell at least one, presumably to you

I don't see the point in EVIL cameras personally. For the same price or cheaper, you can get a full DSLR like the K-x and use the same lenses as your "other" camera.

Sure it's small but so is an H-90 or I-10
10-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
7. PROFIT!

Seriously, stop dreaming. I`m putting half my Pentax stuff on sale here soon, because waiting for the thing that might never happen is a big mistake.
All this moaning and groaning about Pentax equipment not providing your particular needs is becoming monotonous and boring.If Pentax doesn't provide your needs then buy something from a Mfg.that does.The majority of girlish bitching probably comes from users who have never had to shoot film or know how to shoot manually,maybe someday a camera will be available that provides all your needs including making coffee and reminding you to brush your teeth and wash behind your ears,if you shoot video as much as stills, or more, buy a video camera and please stop degenerating Pentax forums into a teenage pyjama party bitch session and buy someone else's product offerings,I am POSITIVE Pentax forums and Pentax will survive without you!!.
10-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
All this moaning and groaning about Pentax equipment not providing your particular needs is becoming monotonous and boring.If Pentax doesn't provide your needs then buy something from a Mfg.that does.

If you like ONLY Pentax lenses (like me, for example) and want AF, no any way...It's impossible to buy something from another brand. Do you understand that?
If only Ricoh could make FF camera with K bayonet...

You never can make the same picture at APS-C as you can with FA43/1.9 or FA31/1.8, or FA77/1.8 and FA*85/1.4 wide-opened at FF. It's unreal.

There are no DA lenses with aperture f/0.95-1.2.

10-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm just thinking aloud. Join, please...But, I ask you to think twice and take account of limit resources of HOYA/Pentax.

First steps to offer FF system.:ugh:

1. Put 2 old PRIME 2 processors to the body.
2. SONY 24 MP sensor
3. The same menus, controls and functions as in K-5.
4. Redesign K-5 body.
5. Redesign in WR DC version THREE old lenses -
FA20-35/4 (still in production, by the way), 28-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8
6.....????
well this is not the cheapest way. It all depends on what kind of camera you want to make. I think it can fit into the K-5 body, redesigning the prisma (and loosing the incamera flash for the space). There aren't many sensors to choose from and making a new one isn't cheap. So choose either a CMOS (what's in the marker availeble: 24 mp (D3x) or 12mp (D700)) or CCD (18 MP from Kodak). With CMOS you ad video and low light performance. The cheapest way is using just one PRIME II processor, since Pentax is only using this one at the time (or design a new faster PRIME III for future camera's). It's slower but if you design a photographers-camera and not a real sportscamera then you won't have any problems. Lenses is a different thing, without good glass no customers and it is expensive to develop for just a small customer base. So I don't see a big chance for it at the time and current marketshare for FF and Pentax's share of the total market.
10-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #21
Forum Member

I would like to see a FF foveon chip or at least a pentax body with the last 15mp foveon aps-c chip.
10-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Why so much conceit and snobbery??? We just dream and communicate here and nothing else...
Do you work for HOYA? Or do you have any psychologic problems?

There are several FF threads here and nobody suffer from it...

If we have a look at last HOYA's actions - it's easy to see that
K-5 is just K-7 super, 645D has menus close to K-7, the same battery and e.t.c.

If HOYA knows, where is FF?

And I don't ask you to say your opinion about this thread...
If you have nothing to say, why do you write here?
Are you squabbler?
Wow, ogl throwing insults - that's something new. NOT! What's next, calling me a Romanian gypsy?
The truth is, you don't have any clue about designing a camera. You can insult me as much as you'd like (and as much as the moderators will allow you), but you can't change this fact.
Even by calling the K-5 "just K-7 super" shows how clueless you are. Nope, there were most likely some extensive changes. Obviously, the sensor and sensor-related circuits. The AF system, completely redesigned. The mirror now must cope with the 7fps, probably they also had to tweak it (more importantly,not the mirror itself but the sequence mechanisms). The software also had gone through some extensive changes.
This had to be tested, tweaked and tested to death. No, it's not easy at all to make a camera; that's why there are only a handful camera makers, and not thousands of them. One should not try to diminish the effort those engineers are putting into such products. You're insisting on the similarities, but how about the differences?

Yes, Hoya/Pentax knows exactly what making a camera means; are you saying they don't, and they need to be told by you?
Of course, having knowledge about this doesn't mean they will make (launch to market) the product itself. But maybe someone thinks that, by starting a stupid thread everything's solved

Btw, there is another big logic error in here. Pentax must not, under no circumstance, make the cheapest "FF" - it'll flop. They should make the kind of "FF" that makes sense for them (yes, that means making a profit), when/if it makes sense for them.
And we all know that, if such a camera appears, our Siberian friend won't buy one.

10-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Just look at the 645D, K-7, and K-5 for how Pentax would best produce a cost effective FF body.

1. Their connection to Kodak with the 645D would allow them most likely reasonably priced access to their FF sensor(s). While I don't know the specifications of current or future Kodak CCD sensors off hand, let's just assume it would be similar to the 645D's sensor, but physically smaller. Let's say it can do 3.5 FPS.

2. Use the K-7/K-5 body structure to save on manufacturing tooling and raw material costs.

3. Do not including shake reduction as with the 645D. Well, only include it if they can fit it into the K-7/K-5 body.

4. Focus on image quality like the 645D.

5. No video because I don't think the Kodak CCD can't handle it. However I think most who buy the FF would use their APS-C body for that instead. I would not want them to sacrifice still quality for it either.

6. Use all of the electronic/AF/meter/etc from the K-5. Similar to how Pentax uses things cross platform with the 645D and K-7/K-5. In the case of the FF, it would have slower FPS, so existing electronics in the K-5 would suffice (A lot of electronics in the K-5 seem to be the same as the K-7 too... look at the buffer for example).

7. EDIT: somehow get a nice large beautiful viewfinder in the K-7/K-5 body. Maybe remove the flash... and widen the back eye area a bit.

Imagine a full frame camera the size of the K-5 with CCD sensor dynamic range and features (like turning off dark frame subtraction in the K10D), yes please! I would consider pre-ordering that, and I've never done so in the past... The K-5/K7 and K-1 (FF) would be a seriously awesome interchangeable combo (accessories, batteries, lenses have more usefulness, etc). I would carry both bodies around with two primes lenses. It would be easy to flip the lenses to get different focal length too.
10-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And we all know that, if such a camera appears, our Siberian friend won't buy one.
How right you are...
10-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
All this moaning and groaning about Pentax equipment not providing your particular needs is becoming monotonous and boring.If Pentax doesn't provide your needs then buy something from a Mfg.that does.The majority of girlish bitching probably comes from users who have never had to shoot film or know how to shoot manually,maybe someday a camera will be available that provides all your needs including making coffee and reminding you to brush your teeth and wash behind your ears,if you shoot video as much as stills, or more, buy a video camera and please stop degenerating Pentax forums into a teenage pyjama party bitch session and buy someone else's product offerings,I am POSITIVE Pentax forums and Pentax will survive without you!!.
Why being so hostile?

JFYI: I`ve got ME Super and going through rolls of film with it regularily ( some stuff even posted here ), my favourite lens is manual focus and definitely am not a teenager having two kids of my own. And I will surely follow your kind advice about buying stuff elsewhere that will suit my needs.

Did I offend you in some way?
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

FA 4,0 20-35mm is not in production.
10-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
I for one got tired of waiting for a FF Pentax and now have a FF Nikon, although I still have most of my Pentax gear.

It is interesting that many here are willing to accept the present APSC technology, but if Pentax can sell the 645D at $12,000 a copy, a FF Pentax DSLR should be an easy sell at around $2.500, which many are asking for.

I could no longer wait for Pentax to offer what I needed in my style of Photography, which is why I went elsewhere for my needs. If the K-5 lives up to its hype (IF) I may be able to live with what Pentax has to offer, but my FF Nikon gives me options I can not get with the present Pentax offerings.

Tom
If Pentax doesnt indicate a coming FF by Summer 2011 I will be looking for either a D700 replacement (some think their D300 will be made into a FF - nice!) or a 5d mkII (maybe replacement also?)

I am impressed enough with the K5 specs that I will try to get one as a body for myPentax glass - which I do not want to get rid of. If the US price is above $1400 then that is all off and I may start looking for a used FF to await the replacements next year

So until 2011 K10D and maybe K5 - then Summer 2011 firm up plans for having a FF, Pentax or otherwise
10-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Why being so hostile?

JFYI: I`ve got ME Super and going through rolls of film with it regularily ( some stuff even posted here ), my favourite lens is manual focus and definitely am not a teenager having two kids of my own. And I will surely follow your kind advice about buying stuff elsewhere that will suit my needs.

Did I offend you in some way?
Hi ilya80,I apologise if you thought my reply was to you personally,it was not, but rather to your statement "stop dreaming,and you are selling your Pentax equipment because why wait for something that won't Happen. ergo I am selling my Ferrari because it doesn't have the comfort of the Rolls Corniche I am replacing it with.NO my comment was aimed at the never satisfied and you sir have the intelligence to replace your Pentax with something that provides your needs
10-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
If Pentax doesnt indicate a coming FF by Summer 2011 I will be looking for either a D700 replacement (some think their D300 will be made into a FF - nice!) or a 5d mkII (maybe replacement also?)
Well, you can start looking now.
Seriously, there will be no FF for Pentax in the near future; definitely not by Summer 2011.
10-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Well, you can start looking now.
Seriously, there will be no FF for Pentax in the near future; definitely not by Summer 2011.
A year or 1.5 years seems to be the amount of time they need to release an upgrade with some substantial improvements. (K-5 has sony sensor, faster AF, etc). For full frame it would probably take 2 years or more, especially if they want to release it with SR and other stuff that is available for the physically smaller APS-C sensor.