Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #31
fry

Gentlemen,

In my opinion, your hype about full format sensors is misguided. The future is APS-C, just like in the film age - newer cameras were smaller not larger. So look who's making the beautiful small DSLR today? Right, Pentax. That's the future.

With the exception of the Leica M9, all full format cameras are HUGE, simply because the mirror swipe needed is related to the sensor size. The price to be paid for “Full format” or “Medium format” is: much bigger and heavier equipment (e.g., Nikon D700, Pentax 645D) or lack of features (e.g., Leica M9 with rangefinder in place of autofocus).

FF only gives you less noise if the pixel size is bigger, and then only for some 3 years, until the next APS-C sensor generation matches that noise level. So FF is just bridging the time until APS-C sensors have the noise level you need, which may be now, with the latest Sony sensor.

Higher resolution? Yes, but with the vast majority of the glass available, the sensors will outperform the lens, so what's the point unless you pay 20k+ for a system? Still, Pentax is there, with the 645D, (which I admire but will never buy, since I want to CARRY my camera not lock it away...)

Lenses like the Pentax Limiteds give you beautiful bokeh in APS-C. For my taste, beautiful enough.

With the new K5 sensor, ISO 3200 is very good, 12800 is acceptable (maybe with post processing) and 51200 available (and for small print formats, using noise reduction post processing, probably ok).

Best, C

10-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax already has a full-frame body- the *istD- now it's time to re-release it with a full-frame sensor inside!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
but rather to your statement "stop dreaming
That was addressed to Ogl, original poster, who still seems to be waiting for FF to happen. I believe there is even a quote. Hence I tell him to stop dreaming - I myself have dreamt for too long ( whilst I could have shooting instead )

Oh well.
10-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How on Earth does this thread qualify as either news or rumour?

This site needs a dedicated 'FF Whinging' forum. These repeated and endless wishful thinking threads make this site, as a whole, devalued.

10-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #35
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wow, ogl throwing insults - that's something new. NOT! What's next, calling me a Romanian gypsy?
I don't care who you are...Don't talk with me, please, and it will be enough.
10-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graham67 Quote
How on Earth does this thread qualify as either news or rumour?

This site needs a dedicated 'FF Whinging' forum. These repeated and endless wishful thinking threads make this site, as a whole, devalued.
I agree, time to move and stop dreaming
10-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
How right you are...
Crows do not pick crow's eyes :ugh:

P.S.
I have enough money to buy even MF camera. It's not your problems.
To discuss money in another's purse is mauvais ton.

10-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #38
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
To say honest, I think if HOYA ever makes FF camera -
1. it will be FF EVIL with new bayonet
2. or it will be classical FF camera, but with new bayonet too.

K mount won't last at new FF system.
10-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #39

lol
After that long, throw away the K...

IMHO, it would be like shooting themselves in the foot.
I will but the next pentax camera because I like the brand AND because I can re-use some of my lenses/flash/remote... If they change the bayonet system it will be easier for the customers to move to another brand.
10-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #40
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dotchoucou Quote
lol
After that long, throw away the K...

IMHO, it would be like shooting themselves in the foot.
I will but the next pentax camera because I like the brand AND because I can re-use some of my lenses/flash/remote... If they change the bayonet system it will be easier for the customers to move to another brand.
You will see
10-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
[...]
[...]
Reaching new heights of cluelessness!
Erm... of course Pentax would really like to shoot themselves in the foot, getting rid of all it's customer base without a valid technical reason. Silly me.

Adam, now it's time to re-release an *istD-level camera (but "full frame)?
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, and so will the rest of the market.
Come on, people - there are no shortcuts, no magic way, no "just use an old body which happens to be available and pop in a new sensor" trick.
10-03-2010, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #42
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Bayonet K is a brake of progress. It's valid technical reason.

We can see now that HOYA develops amateur APS-C system with DA lenses and pro MF system.
FA LIMITED is already NOT MADE IN JAPAN. The days are numbered.
We will see only slow DA and 2 macro (DFA) lenses for APS-C system in the nearest 1-2 years.
DFA and FA line of lenses died. And 90% of FA and FA* died on 2004.

And - remember, the man -
No Pentax. Pentax is just name of brand and photo division of HOYA.
10-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. it will be FF EVIL with new bayonet

K mount won't last at new FF system.
Well, point 1 is possible. #2 is not. A classical FF with mirrorbox would end up with a very similar bayonet (size wise) which is unthinkable imo.

Pentax should put the R&D resources on a FF model and let the aps-c models share the technology afterwards. R&D cost would not rise too much in total and add a FF body.

Also, a FF can be sold with greater margins than a aps-c. I hope none here belives that Nikon D3 and Canon 1D is sold for only development cost + parts price. These are very high margin products!
10-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Also, a FF can be sold with greater margins than a aps-c. I hope none here belives that Nikon D3 and Canon 1D is sold for only development cost + parts price. These are very high margin products!

That's true. Problem is, no one Pentaxian would buy a Pentax D3/Eos1D, they want D700/Eos5D priced less than the Alpha 850... and I fear there is no margin, going there.
10-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Please, people, stop dreaming about FF. It's just as likely as Pentax developing a new film camera. Or a new flatscreen TV, for that matter.