Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I think there is merit in the OP's idea....but I doubt it will catch on at Pentax. Marketing is so different now from even a decade ago...... Maybe naked Pentaxian girls on Youtube.........nah, there is already plenty of that! That's old....Topless Pentaxian Squirrels?
[IMG][/IMG]

I never used a slide rule, or a TI calculator......I am a plumber, all I need to know is S*#t don't run uphill...and how to make out a Bill!
Best Regards!

10-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used a TI calculator because there was no = sign, so it could not be stolen because nobody knew how to use it... :P

I use Pentax because there is no DOF button, but a slider, so nobody can use it... )
10-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
Heck, I used this one through the first two years of college:
I remember Dad buying a slide rule for me as a kid. Not for any practical reason, just thought it looked cool.

Later, I was at a garage (well, company's-gone-under-storage-shed) sale, and picked up a few ex-RAAF compact photoreconnaissance slide rules - for navigators to help work out the altitude and speed for better photos, as well as for afterwards for judging size, azimuth, etc, when they were developed.
10-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Later, I was at a garage (well, company's-gone-under-storage-shed) sale, and picked up a few ex-RAAF compact photoreconnaissance slide rules - for navigators to help work out the altitude and speed for better photos, as well as for afterwards for judging size, azimuth, etc, when they were developed.
Cool. I would have bought those too! Any pictures?

10-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I remember Dad buying a slide rule for me as a kid. Not for any practical reason, just thought it looked cool.

I bet that comes in handy when you are cruising around in your reconnaissance plane.
10-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #36

In my photo classes I typically see half or more Canons, about a third to half Nikons, a few Sonys and occasionally a Pentax or Olympus, and once in a great while a Panasonic.
The percentage of Nikons has been growing as I've noticed that the local Wolf Camera stores really seem to be pushing the Nikons. Others have told me when they go there for an advertised sale, they are all sold out of the other brands but have Nikons still available and try to convince them that Nikon is what they really want anyway.
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #37
Inactive Account

I wonder what kind of profit margin TI and HP make on their calculators. It must be obscene, TI 84/85/86 have been the same price for more than a decade and the hardware has to cost only pennies at this point.

10-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
I'm a Sharp guy.

I get confused when using Casio.
Play on words there? If so. I love it.
10-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
I'm a Sharp guy.

I get confused when using Casio.
Yeah I was going to say, not so sharp after all...
10-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I bet that comes in handy when you are cruising around in your reconnaissance plane.
I got them cause they were cute. Also, three for two dollars.

What I really regret is not buying that cubic metre of Ansett refresher towlettes.
10-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
I started a tertiary level photo course this year, we're the part time mature age class. The only advice from the school was the we needed a DSLR since they are fully digital. It is almost 50/50 Canon/Nikon except for me with a K7 and one other student with a KX which will probably get traded on a K5 this Christmas. While the lecturers obviously have their own gear preferences I have never heard them advise against a particular brand or say that we need FF gear or any of the other nonsense you hear on forums. It's all about the image not their image with them.

Last edited by Paul Ewins; 10-05-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo
10-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I can't help but think that comparing the K1000 era Pentax to today's Pentax we're comparing a then industry leader to a now unit of a company that has many other, more established business lines. That said, I like the innovative suggestions that are coming out of this thread!
10-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Personally I think Pentax should get the RS1000 into advertising for other companies. They should have a "Your Company Name Here" vert for the thing. Buy 10,000 for a bulk price of 10% over cost.

Thank you
Russell
10-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Personally I think Pentax should get the RS1000 into advertising for other companies. They should have a "Your Company Name Here" vert for the thing. Buy 10,000 for a bulk price of 10% over cost.
Hell, insurance companies! Right there - for assessing claims, just place a card with your logo in the holder.

Or real estate companies. Or architects.
10-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #45

Calculator?

When I was at school, we used log tables up to the final year ('72) when we were allowed to use slide rules!

Calculators didn't come out for another 3 or 4 years. The first one I got was a Sinclair Cambridge that used to eat batteries.

When I did the OU maths in '92 (it took me a LONG time to get into further education) I got a Casio graphing calculator that I am still using now in my job in oil metering.

Bill