Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ti-58c my first real programmable calculator. RPN, yes nice, especially for snobs (trolling the HP fans).

10-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #17

I used a K+E Log Log Duplex Decitrig

Last edited by bobrapp; 10-03-2010 at 06:25 PM.
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Amen, Arpe! I *still* use my HP-41CX.
*thread hijack*
Too big for the pocket for me. I'm now using a HP 35s, needs to be pocketable for field use.
10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

While it's a good idea to get the PENTAX name out there I don't think it would fly.

I cut my teeth on a K1000, like many here, back in 2002 with countless hours of reading on which body to get. Everything pointed back to the K1000 as it was touted as the best beginners camera being completely manual, recommended more than any other especially for photo classes. I was sold! I learned a lot. A few months after I bought a Canon AV-1, lol.

5 years later in 2007 shopping for a digital body I was immediately drawn to PENTAX again only for the fact they carried over the K-mount. It was cool to think I could use all my K-mount glass of which I never use anymore due to less than stellar optical quality, either bad CA, low resolution, poor contrast. If it wasn't for that or being seduced by all these stunning primes, which I never did buy, I'd probably be shooting Canon or maybe Nikon.

While it's a good idea to get the PENTAX name out there I don't think it would fly. A lot of people jumped ship back in film days after putting the K1000 on the shelf, perhaps due to what wasn't available sticking with the brand. The same holds true now. You start with a K-r, the only real upgrade choice is a K-5 and you're always on the precipice of anticipation of what new lens they may pump out next. What a horrible addiction, damn you PENTAX, I want my K-5.

10-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i had a HP 38g, and 15 yrs later, I still have this calculator on my desk and it still working well... I actually think its only had 3 sets of batteries too lol :P
10-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #21
Inactive Account

But can you load a bastardised version of Tetris on a Pentax?
10-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
I'm a Sharp guy.

I get confused when using Casio.

10-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
I used a K+E Log Log Duplex Decitrig
I came back to this thread to post my experience .... and found that someone beat me to it! With a tan leather belt case.

I think it was that experience that sold me on approximation: three significant digits are enough for almost any purpose.

The IRS, of course, takes a dim view of this approach. I learned that when I proposed it to them regarding charitable donations. They asked me to be a bit more specific ....
10-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, used a slide rule till '62.
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #25

something like this happened at my school, my teacher uses a nikon d90 and like 90% of my classmates bought a nikon, there are only 2 canons, 2 sonys and like 25 nikons
10-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #26

Still got my solar powered Casio fx-85 from university 22 years ago.
10-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Nope, used a slide rule till '62.
Same here, used slide rule through seven years of engineering school.
10-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I sure wish I'd had a TI calculator when I did algebra. It might have actually helped me pass the f- class! LOL Seriously, I just found a TI emulator online and I'm using that along with an Algebra program to tackle learning it on my own. No pressure, no grades, no deadlines this time. I've always had a real problem with algebra and I've never been able to learn it and I want to see if I can learn it sans the pressure, if it's actually something called dyscalculia or not.

I've been diagnosed with that but I have problems believing that it it sometimes, the source of this difficulty with higher math. Fact is I don't have any problem at all with practical math, only with this type of math and I can't think that I'd do so well with the lower math and then not with the higher math if I really had a learning disability in that area. They tell me it's possible though, because I'm considered extremely bright in other areas that are the opposite (language areas) and that happens sometimes apparently.

Anyway, just an FYI there are several freeware TI emulators aka clones that you can run on a laptop now if you can't actually afford to buy a $100 calculator. I'm playing with a TI83 clone and I have to say I'm impressed with it. Looks and works just like the real thing. There's actually a wiki for TI emulators and several links....
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #29

Heck, I used this one through the first two years of college:

Most of my younger coworkers at HP never saw one. They grew up with RPN calculators.

Back on topic, I don't know what would be the most effective way for Pentax to grow market share in the Americas... but my gut feeling is that they have to get both the buzz going (reviews, magazine advertisements) and get it into stores so that people can see it for real.
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I did my degree in Theoretical Physics so, no I didn't buy a calculator. We never even saw numbers, those were for the spoiled applied maths people.

The year after I graduated I bought an HP. With RPN. Of course! Cost as much as some computers these days.