Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax launches industry-leading tele lens

Well, the headline is true, but it is for a 12-660mm CCTV lens :ugh:

It is for the PENTAX PAIR 02 ZOOM LENS MODEL H55ZAME-F-PR02 - 1/2-Inch Format 55X Power Zoom Lens f=12mm~660mm(~1680mm with Built-in 2.5x Extender)F4.0 -> PENTAX Introduces Next-Generation PAIR Technology - Technology | Centre Daily Times - State College, PA | Penn State, Nittany Lions, weather, news, jobs, homes, apartments, real estate

The interesting thing is their "Pentax Atmospheric Interference Reduction" (PAIR) technology:
QuoteQuote:
Building on the first-generation PAIR 01, winner of the 2010 ISC West “Best in Video Device” award, the new PAIR 02 adds an industry-first Heat Haze Reduction function.
I recently wrote about the problems of atmospheric turbulence for tele photography in my blog: Falk Lumo: LumoLabs: HowTo long range telephoto shots

It would be amazing if this technology can be brought to 35mm lenses. All of a sudden, Pentax could leapfrog from last to first in the tele realm

10-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Video of PAIR 1

Well, I found the following video demonstrating the previous PAIR 1 lenses. The turbulence is still visible (not reduced). So, what I see are some of the methods I described in my blog. Not sure how much this helps in still photography where you have RAW file treatment.

Nevertheless, the video is rather impressive. And it is previous generation only

10-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the headline is true, but it is for a 12-660mm CCTV lens :ugh:

It is for the PENTAX PAIR 02 ZOOM LENS MODEL H55ZAME-F-PR02 - 1/2-Inch Format 55X Power Zoom Lens f=12mm~660mm(~1680mm with Built-in 2.5x Extender)F4.0 -> PENTAX Introduces Next-Generation PAIR Technology - Technology | Centre Daily Times - State College, PA | Penn State, Nittany Lions, weather, news, jobs, homes, apartments, real estate

It would be amazing if this technology can be brought to 35mm lenses. All of a sudden, Pentax could leapfrog from last to first in the tele realm
Amazing indeed, Falk. Both the video and the leapfroggery.

I'm used to seeing "Pentax" and "leapfrog" in the same sentence, but not one in which Pentax is the subject rather than the object. (continuing the grammatical references ...)
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wouldn't that be a hoot if Pentax released a CS mount EVIL camera promising to be compatible with it's previous cctv lenses?

10-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

One obvious application is surveillance, both civil and military.
10-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is though can this technology have a spinoff effect in dSLRs
10-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
The question is though can this technology have a spinoff effect in dSLRs
That was the question I asked. Much of what was shown can be achieved with RAW converters. Some would require stacking which RAW converters (unlike Sony NEX cameras) don't offer out of the box.

Most difficult is the effect of dealing with atmospheric turbulence though. Maybe, PAIR2 brings progress in this domain. Turbulence destroys image quality with long exposures and physically wide apertures. You see it in the movie above where the Japanese letter subject "floats" as if seen through a swimming pool water surface. Progress here could be interesting (as is available in astronomy). That could apply to dSLRs too. However, I don't know what PAIR2 brings in that department.

Unfortunately, CS mount lenses are meant for 1 to 2 Mpixel images. So, it may not be the best of all ideas to make a CS mount EVIL still camera
10-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So for now we have to deal with ground heat turbulence the old-fashioned way, like Astronomers do: Shooting only objects within 30 degrees of the zenith

10-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
the old-fashioned way, like Astronomers do: Shooting only objects within 30 degrees of the zenith
Using Adaptive Optics isn't what I would call old-fashioned. You must really be at the bleeding edge of things
10-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ugh... the thread should start out with the text "hahaha... made-jya look! "

The "Power Zoom" lives on! I wonder if that 2.5x TC will work with SDM. <lest anyone get carried away, I kid>
10-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might help in clandestine Squirrel shooting....they are elusive at times.......

Regards!
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Using Adaptive Optics isn't what I would call old-fashioned. You must really be at the bleeding edge of things
Most telescopes don't have adaptive optics. They're like the Full Frame of telescopes

10-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Did I mention squirrels are tree rats?