Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
The interviewer is annoying me because he is always trying to complete Ned's sentences while he is still talking. If you want answers, don't cut your interviewee off.
I know!!! That annoys the crap out of me, in interviews of in real life. If you ask someone a question, let them answer it.

10-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

to me it sounds like there were pentax guidelines before the interview.
this interview sounds like the pentax website . a commercial

how do you sit with the head of pentax and not asking him about the future?
about a FF camera?
about new lenses road map?
a SDM replacement and so on and so forth all the things that we are talking about here over and over and over for the past many years and never getting any answers

the pentax colors are cool I am for once all in favor of that, but its already here , we got it
10-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the video. Some substance and some commercial talk.
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

Head of Pentax ???
With all respect to Ned Bunnell but that is not the case. He may be running one of Pentax´s subsidiaries, but that is a very different thing.
I find all this fuss a bit strange.

10-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Head of Pentax ???
With all respect to Ned Bunnell but that is not the case. He may be running one of Pentax´s subsidiaries, but that is a very different thing.
I find all this fuss a bit strange.
Head of pentax USA
he knows more then me and you

but any ways I added a at the end , I was jocking, I am on this forum for long enough time to know that you never get the answers you want when it comes to FF or to new lenses and so on.
but its always fun to ask
10-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Head of pentax USA

but any ways I added a at the end , I was jocking, I am on this forum for long enough time to know that you never get the answers you want when it comes to FF or to new lenses and so on.
We would have more luck if there were a Pentax forum in Japan ...
10-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to me it sounds like there were pentax guidelines before the interview.
this interview sounds like the pentax website . a commercial

about a FF camera?
about new lenses road map?
a SDM replacement and so on and so forth all the things that we are talking about here over and over and over for the past many years and never getting any answers

the pentax colors are cool I am for once all in favor of that, but its already here , we got it
For competitive reasons, even generalities about future product developments were undoubtedly off the table for this interview, as you guessed.

10-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
For competitive reasons, even generalities about future product developments were undoubtedly off the table for this interview, as you guessed.
The same guy interviewed Nikon too. And Nikon was glad to respond that they are going to serve all markets, the D7000 serving the enthusiast market. Ned could have answered too which msrkets Pentax is going to serve in the future.
10-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Head of pentax USA

I think Tokyo tells Ned about 5 seconds before the info goes up on the Pentax Imaging Web Site.
10-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Still, someone has a chance to interview Ned ask him about Tethering....Bang missed opportunity when the chance came to get some decent answers.
10-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #41
Veteran Member

It kind of stinks they elected to removed WR's from the midrange model. Considering this is a great point of comparison for Pentax to canikon.
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
It kind of stinks they elected to removed WR's from the midrange model. Considering this is a great point of comparison for Pentax to canikon.
With only 2 models, they don't really have a mid-range. That is unless you considered the K-5 as the mid-range model.

Top: 645D
Mid: K-5
bottom: K-r

Hysterical
10-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
With only 2 models, they don't really have a mid-range. That is unless you considered the K-5 as the mid-range model.

Top: 645D
Mid: K-5
bottom: K-r

:Hysterical:
If you think about it, K-5 and K-r are pretty close. K-r has: Almost the same IQ (Exmor sensor with almost same pixel pitch), almost same burst speed, almost same AF performance (only missing the "+" sensor and faster screw motor), almost same body size, same processor, same 3" screen, same AF indicators, same AF assist light. There isn't much left to make the K-5 sell: prism & 100%VF, dual dial, build quality (magalloy, 1/8000 100k shutter, WR seals), larger buffer, mic & hdmi plugs, grip option.

There is no way Pentax could have offered WR for the K-r w/o making the K-r much more expensive ($1000) or cannibalizing the K-5.

K-7 is now Pentax well priced entry model for outdoor people and it is marketed as such. It is the reason why K-7 continues to sell.
10-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If you think about it, K-5 and K-r are pretty close. K-r has: Almost the same IQ (Exmor sensor with almost same pixel pitch), almost same burst speed, almost same AF performance (only missing the "+" sensor and faster screw motor), almost same body size, same processor, same 3" screen, same AF indicators, same AF assist light. There isn't much left to make the K-5 sell: prism & 100%VF, dual dial, build quality (magalloy, 1/8000 100k shutter, WR seals), larger buffer, mic & hdmi plugs, grip option.

There is no way Pentax could have offered WR for the K-r w/o making the K-r much more expensive ($1000) or cannibalizing the K-5.

K-7 is now Pentax well priced entry model for outdoor people and it is marketed as such. It is the reason why K-7 continues to sell.
So, Falk ... if the K-r is similar ("pretty close") to the K5, and if someone like me owns a K7, would you think that it would be a foolish move for me to upgrade to the K5?

From what I read, Quote:"There isn't much left to make the K-5 sell" does this imply to forget about the K5 because it is not much of a jump from the K7 (in my case) and to wait for a future upgrade of the K5 (K3?) because there isn't much to upgrade from?

Might as well get the K-r and save money instead?

JP
10-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, Falk ... if the K-r is similar ("pretty close") to the K5, and if someone like me owns a K7, would you think that it would be a foolish move for me to upgrade to the K5?

From what I read, Quote:"There isn't much left to make the K-5 sell" does this imply to forget about the K5 because it is not much of a jump from the K7 (in my case) and to wait for a future upgrade of the K5 (K3?) because there isn't much to upgrade from?

Might as well get the K-r and save money instead?

JP
As always, depends on what you're looking for.

Me? I'll pay, eventually, for sealed body, dual dials, better bracketing, larger buffer, etc.

Only you can decide where you find value, if any, in K5.