Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
This is due to the K-7 being underpriced.
For what you get the K-7 is still the best value on the market. Overall it is an outstanding camera. I don't expect the K-5 prices to fall as fast as the K-7 simply because the K-5 addresses the flaws that have caused the K-7's price to fall.

The K-5 has the potential to be a very serious contender for top APS-C camera on the market. Pentax really needs to bring the glass that will attract higher end users. At least address the gap in longer fast primes and the lack of 400mm glass. An 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/1.8 and 400mm f/4 would do wonders for the line up.

Bodies come and go every 16 months or so, but good glass will last for decades (as long as it does not have a SDM).

10-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
For what you get the K-7 is still the best value on the market. Overall it is an outstanding camera. I don't expect the K-5 prices to fall as fast as the K-7 simply because the K-5 addresses the flaws that have caused the K-7's price to fall.

The K-5 has the potential to be a very serious contender for top APS-C camera on the market. Pentax really needs to bring the glass that will attract higher end users. At least address the gap in longer fast primes and the lack of 400mm glass. An 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/1.8 and 400mm f/4 would do wonders for the line up.

Bodies come and go every 16 months or so, but good glass will last for decades (as long as it does not have a SDM).
I agree that the k-7 is the best value camera, and to me (a low iso shooter/non sports shooter) its flaws are trivial. I think Pentax would have been able to maintain a higher price if it did the value add that is vitally important - i.e. getting retailers to know and push the product, and getting the lenses on the shelves.

And yes, we need more good, fast, WR, SDM II glass! Add to the above a long macro and some tilt and shifts.
10-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vanbar were listing the K5 @ $1389, hope that original price is what it sells for seeing as that is what I pre ordered mine for.
10-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Vanbar were listing the K5 @ $1389, hope that original price is what it sells for seeing as that is what I pre ordered mine for.
You may be in for a surprise then The fine print on their site basically said the pre-order price can change and it can't be guaranteed that you'll get the camera at the pre-order price.

10-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You may be in for a surprise then The fine print on their site basically said the pre-order price can change and you aren't guaranteed to get the camera at the pre-order price.
Yes, but they do allow a purchaser to cancel an order if the price goes up.

I emailed them last week asking them for release date and how firm their K-5 pricing was, and received no reply.
10-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #21

The K-R pricing in my area - Western Sydney - will be "interesting"........

My nearest camera dealer - not a small shop - they have branches in other cities - still site-lists:

Pentax K-M - with Pentax 18-55mm - $799.00

Pentax K-X - with Pentax 18-55mm - $717.00

Carrying this through in logical progression - we should see:

Pentax K-R - with Pentax 18-55mm - $635.00.......

We do have some "interesting-creative" camera pricing here in Aus....

Dave.
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No price updates, but I just noticed that dirtcheapcameras.com.au is showing the following K-5 options:

Pentax K-5 DSLR Body only
Pentax K-5 DSLR With DA 17-70mm SDM Lens
Pentax K-5 DSLR With DA 18-135mm WR Lens
Pentax K-5 DSLR With DA 18-55mm WR Lens
Pentax K-5 DSLR With DA 55mm f1.4 SDM Lens

Not a bad selection. Each kit option also has a full-size image of the K-5 plus the lens in question, so these maybe the official CRK kits for Australia.

10-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
The K-R pricing in my area - Western Sydney - will be "interesting"........

My nearest camera dealer - not a small shop - they have branches in other cities - still site-lists:

Pentax K-M - with Pentax 18-55mm - $799.00

Pentax K-X - with Pentax 18-55mm - $717.00

Carrying this through in logical progression - we should see:

Pentax K-R - with Pentax 18-55mm - $635.00.......

We do have some "interesting-creative" camera pricing here in Aus....

Dave.
I seriously can not understand how DCW can charge $799 for K-m single lens kit and expect anyone to pay for it....I bought a K-m body from them for $499 about 6months ago, WTH happened since then? there's a shocking discovery that K-m contains a kick-ass easter egg that will make the image better than Nikon D1x?
10-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I seriously can not understand how DCW can charge $799 for K-m single lens kit and expect anyone to pay for it....I bought a K-m body from them for $499 about 6months ago, WTH happened since then? there's a shocking discovery that K-m contains a kick-ass easter egg that will make the image better than Nikon D1x?
I have been wondering the same thing for ages... :ugh:
10-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Yes, but they do allow a purchaser to cancel an order if the price goes up.

I emailed them last week asking them for release date and how firm their K-5 pricing was, and received no reply.
I did also and the reply was:

"I received news this morning that November looks like the release date for the K5?

Regards,

Peter White

Vanbar Imaging"
10-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #26

A hopefully they will be passing on any savings because our rising Australian dollar: keep your fingers crossed it says high if this is a factor in the price.
10-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
A hopefully they will be passing on any savings because our rising Australian dollar: keep your fingers crossed it says high if this is a factor in the price.
Amen. And not just for the K-5. It would be nice if Pentax lens and flash prices dropped a notch or two between now and Xmas as well.
10-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #28

Oh man, I just called DCW, and they said their eta for the K-5 is 3rd or 6th december, and only for the 18-135 kit. Wah, my parents are going overseas in early December, and I was hoping to get one with the TRS from them (my parents). Anyone know what it's like buying in Singapore, warranty and price wise? And are all the shops in the one area, maybe I'll have to get them to buy it there?
10-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are quite a few Pentax forums members from Singapore, including K-5 users
frank
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118405-hands-k-5-a.html
and
creampuff
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118131-pentax-k-r-has-arrived.html

Perhaps you might ask them about where to buy.

Warranty-wise, I don't think you will get Australian CRK support for a camera bought overseas, so you may have to buy 3rd party support if you are worried by that. But I would call CRK and ask them about local warranty support for Pentax cameras bought overseas just to check.
10-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #30

Photos: Albums
News of the arrival date direct from Pentax Australia

"K-r, K-5 and 35mm lens - early November.

18-135mm Lens - late November "