Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
K prices Australia

So far these are some of the Australian prices showing up for the K-5 and K-r (prices in $AUD)

K-5 body only:

$1595 Vanbar.com.au,
$1679 digidirect
$1699 camerawarehouse.com.au, dirtcheapcameras

K5 with 18-135mm WR Lens:

$2299 digidirect, camerawarehouse.com.au
$2382.60 vanbar
$2399 dirtcheapcameras

K-r body only:
-

K-r with 18-55 kit lens (black):

$817.30 vanbar
$824 dirtcheapcameras
$825 digidirect
$889 DCW
$899 camerawarehouse.com.au

IMHO the 18-135 WR seems a rather expensive kit lens addition to the K-5. It better be a good performer.

K-x and K-7 prices are easily checked on shopbot.com.au. They have dropped a bit recently and will no doubt drop more shortly after the K-5 and K-r hit the stores properly.


Last edited by rawr; 10-31-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: More retailers added
10-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
I wonder if they'll be releasing a Kr + DA L 35mm f2.4 combo... I'd be really interested in that if the 35mm lives up to expectations and they keep the price about even to that of the combo with the 18-55 kit (because I'd probably get a sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 to go with the 35mm anyway).

Last edited by HappySnappy; 10-07-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: EDIT: oh yeah, I'm not committed to any system SLR system atm
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisneyland
Posts: 15
Keep an eye out on OCAU as Vanbar may look at doing a group buy like they did with the K7.
10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MickB Quote
Keep an eye out on OCAU as Vanbar may look at doing a group buy like they did with the K7.
That would be cool. I like vanbar.

10-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
A group buy on OCAU would be GREAT!!!
10-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Thanks for summarizing.

I'm keen on buying a K-5, so will be interested in joining a group buy.

Only interested in a K-r if it's a pink version (which apparently is only available in Japan at the moment).
10-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks for summarizing.

I'm keen on buying a K-5, so will be interested in joining a group buy.

Only interested in a K-r if it's a pink version (which apparently is only available in Japan at the moment).
Aha. A pink K-x is still available locally - eg on digidirect - if you must have a pink Pentax.

Probably they will eventually release a pink K-r locally if you wait a while. A pink K-x wasn't initially available here either.
10-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,947
The price of the K-5 is not that high and i must say i originally thought it is a lot higher than that. It is abt $300 more than what i get my k-7. Temptations!!!

How i wish the 18-135 lens is actually a 17-135. My wife is using the sigma 17-70 and loves the range....me too! 17-70 is a useful range..i would say 17-135 would be even better.

10-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha. A pink K-x is still available locally - eg on digidirect - if you must have a pink Pentax.

Probably they will eventually release a pink K-r locally if you wait a while. A pink K-x wasn't initially available here either.
Yeah, I know. Nearly bought that one (actually I prefer the purple, but the pink one is also nice).

Both pink and purple K-x are also available in the US for a very very tempting US$499.

But I think I've now decided I want the K-5 after all. I think I have succumbed to the hype.
10-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
The price of the K-5 is not that high and i must say i originally thought it is a lot higher than that...
I think Pentax/ CRK are very aware of the pricing for the Canon 60D ($1475 body only at digidirect) and the D7000 ($1949 body only digidirect). Especially given that the K-5 is only a modest upgrade from the K-7 in many respects, and is arguably not as well specified as the Canikon rivals.
10-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think Pentax/ CRK are very aware of the pricing for the Canon 60D ($1475 body only at digidirect) and the D7000 ($1949 body only digidirect). Especially given that the K-5 is only a modest upgrade from the K-7 in many respects, and is arguably not as well specified as the Canikon rivals.
Modest? Not as well spec'd?

Best sensor in it's class? Best WR in it;'s class? only body in its class with in body SR.
The only nod I would give to the D7k is the Nikon flash system and AF and even then the AF seems to be in some dispute. It looks like mighty Nikon have tried to build a camera as good as the k-7 in the price range and have come up with something like the upgraded specs of the k-5. Canon aren't even close as far as I can see. 60d is not even close.
10-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: launceston
Posts: 1,190
$1600AUD is a pretty awesome price within Aus...

Even B&H is listing the K-5 body-only at $1599USD, and usually it's much cheaper to import from them, even with the strong Australian dollar. I think I might be keen on the group buy as well :-)
10-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Modest? Not as well spec'd?

Best sensor in it's class? Best WR in it;'s class? only body in its class with in body SR.
The only nod I would give to the D7k is the Nikon flash system and AF and even then the AF seems to be in some dispute. It looks like mighty Nikon have tried to build a camera as good as the k-7 in the price range and have come up with something like the upgraded specs of the k-5. Canon aren't even close as far as I can see. 60d is not even close.
Agreed. The 60D is laughable, almost laughable compared to 50D which is funny enough.
10-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
Original Poster
Well, the 18MP 60D isn't that bad. Even if the DXOMark score of the 60D STILL doesn't exceed that of the K-x [LOL], it ain't a bad cam and it's good that it is out there helping to moderate Pentax pricing...

The D7000 is kind of a sister cam to the K-5 (same Sony 16MP sensor, same level of WR) so I guess it is the real competitor to the K-5. But you can see that the D7000 is a big step up from the 12MP D90, in body and specs, justifying a price premium over the old D90 RRP, whereas the 16MP K-5 may be viewed as an incremental upgrade to the 14MP K-7, especially since the body is identical, making it harder to justify a boost in the K-5 RRP over the K-7...
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, the 18MP 60D isn't that bad. Even if the DXOMark score of the 60D STILL doesn't exceed that of the K-x [LOL], it ain't a bad cam and it's good that it is out there helping to moderate Pentax pricing...

The D7000 is kind of a sister cam to the K-5 (same Sony 16MP sensor, same level of WR) so I guess it is the real competitor to the K-5. But you can see that the D7000 is a big step up from the 12MP D90, in body and specs, justifying a price premium over the old D90 RRP, whereas the 16MP K-5 may be viewed as an incremental upgrade to the 14MP K-7, especially since the body is identical, making it harder to justify a boost in the K-5 RRP over the K-7...
This is due to the K-7 being underpriced.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, digidirect, k-5, k-r, kit, lens, pentax news, pentax rumors, prices, vanbar, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K prices UK davebris33 Pentax News and Rumors 8 10-08-2010 12:37 PM
prices for used DA 35 and DA 15? kuuan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 07-19-2009 09:22 AM
Prices in Australia? Bostjan Photographic Technique 15 04-11-2008 01:50 AM
UK Prices dopeytree Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 04-01-2008 04:21 AM
Best prices Papou Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 0 01-17-2008 10:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top