Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 Advertising, better late than never.

Maybe been posted already....

SellPoint: Active Product Tour

10-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it doesn't show anything to me..

what kind of format is it? I do not see anything..
10-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #3

Nice video
10-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Its a flash video, but it's only a "video version" of the brochure/specification sheet for K-5. Not much in line with the "be obsessed" slogan by Pentax shown on top of the video, unless you are obsessed with specification numbers.

It's not the best made and looks kid of low budget, especially demonstration of weather sealing. And it is not entirely correct either and even says that you can retrieve RAW data from jpg.

10-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Nice video. Thanks for sharing the link.
10-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's not the best made and looks kid of low budget, especially demonstration of weather sealing.
Doesn't look low budget at all, looks very fine to me. The weather sealing part looks good for something made in 2D - and I don't think it meant to be 100% realistic in the first place.

You cannot do it better unless you film the camera in the rain or make a 3D model of it and simulate water droplets on the camera (a very hard thing to do).
10-08-2010, 03:09 AM   #7

Actually you can retrieve the RAW from a JPG

"PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG files
Native support for both PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG 14 bit RAW files, includes the ability to retrieve RAW data from JPG files if still present in buffer memory."

Copied from a spec list Lozeau - Pentax K-5 (Body Only)

Personally I thought the quality was fine, and am glad to see some marketing collateral in English.

cheers

10-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Actually you can retrieve the RAW from a JPG
To be 100% correct you then do not retrieve RAW data from jpg files, you retrieve data from buffer again and save it in a different format. But from a marketing prespective it is probably ok to say something like that.

This possibility is news to me, and it would be interesting in which conditions the buffer is not emptied when images are saved. In burst mode I guess the buffer is always emptied as fast as possible, but if using single shot mode the images could be kept in buffer longer. And then it would be a brilliant idea to not empty buffer right away.
10-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Doesn't look low budget at all, looks very fine to me. The weather sealing part looks good for something made in 2D - and I don't think it meant to be 100% realistic in the first place.

You cannot do it better unless you film the camera in the rain or make a 3D model of it and simulate water droplets on the camera (a very hard thing to do).
I doubt that Pentax uses anything but 3D CAD to design mechanical parts so they should have all 3D models they need for this. But those that made this video probably had no access to this material, so they had to use "low budget" solutions. Another minor detail I don't like is that the video show view finder AF points on LCD instead of zooming in on VF, but this is probably also because that of limited resources.

Maybe it is just me, but I think these kind of product videos are boring and think they looks like "TV-shop" commercials.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-08-2010 at 05:04 AM.
10-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly better than no marketing, now let's see this production get out there to the masses - at least on the Pentax official website...

Takes a while for the video to load up, though....
10-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like.
I guess the concept is that this is the sort of pitch that online retailers can embed in their K-5 product pages.
10-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

To be 100% correct you then do not retrieve RAW data from jpg files, you retrieve data from buffer again and save it in a different format. But from a marketing prespective it is probably ok to say something like that.

This possibility is news to me, and it would be interesting in which conditions the buffer is not emptied when images are saved. In burst mode I guess the buffer is always emptied as fast as possible, but if using single shot mode the images could be kept in buffer longer. And then it would be a brilliant idea to not empty buffer right away.

The K-7 always keeps the last shot taken in the buffer until power-off.
It allows the user to change White Balance, sharpness, contrast, saturation, hue without loss of IQ, like on a RAW file.

Sounds like with the K-5 they have extended that functionality to save an actual RAW file from the buffer.
10-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #13

Well SDXC compatibility is new, never heard of that before on K-5, only something like"maybe later via firmware"
10-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Maybe it is just me, but I think these kind of product videos are boring and think they looks like "TV-shop" commercials.
That's exactly what I think about this video. It's like a TV Shop listing...
10-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
raz

I doubt that Pentax uses anything but 3D CAD to design mechanical parts so they should have all 3D models they need for this. But those that made this video probably had no access to this material, so they had to use "low budget" solutions. Another minor detail I don't like is that the video show view finder AF points on LCD instead of zooming in on VF, but this is probably also because that of limited resources.

I work in this field (I'm a 3D freelancer ), and I tell you, even with CAD models - you have to convert them into something "usable" for a animation program or re-model them almost from scratch - but that is not the main problem, the main problem is to simulate water - and to make it look good or photorealistic and that is very hard. So a few seconds of presenting this future would probably cost to much to do.