Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 burst flash?

Will the K-5 flash in burst mode? I miss this feature from my Canon days.

10-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stupid question: I don't use the feature, but doesn't the K-7 flash in burst at an interval as determined by the flash, e.g., if not full power or until recharged?
10-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

only hot shoe flashes e.g: AF540FGZ,AF160FC and AF360FGZ, have this capability and how many FPS you can get is entirely dependant on the power level you are using. I can get My AF540FGZ to synch with my D3 at 9FPS and it doesn't overheat as quickly as my SB900 does.

the built in flash has no manual controls, therefore it is practically impossible to use it in the way you describe.
10-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
only hot shoe flashes e.g: AF540FGZ,AF160FC and AF360FGZ, have this capability and how many FPS you can get is entirely dependant on the power level you are using. I can get My AF540FGZ to synch with my D3 at 9FPS and it doesn't overheat as quickly as my SB900 does.

the built in flash has no manual controls, therefore it is practically impossible to use it in the way you describe.
Well, the K-7 did not do this either with the pop up flash or Sigma Ef 500 flash. I really like the feature when I had the 30d. I really am leaning towards going back to Canon.

10-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Well, the K-7 did not do this either with the pop up flash or Sigma Ef 500 flash. I really like the feature when I had the 30d. I really am leaning towards going back to Canon.
I don't have any of the newer Pentax D-SLR's, but when using my K10D with the AF360 attached I can burst about 3 or 4 shots before the flash needs time to catch up. I don't know a whole lot about the Sigma 500 flash, but isn't that an older flash which has since been replaced by several versions of the Sigma 530 flash? I think your flash may be outdated and may be why you can't shoot in burst with the flash.
10-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really am leaning towards going back to Canon
the grass may indeed be greener on the other side of the fence, However you still have to mow it.

the burst mode in full E-TTL II still tends to underexpose the subject, I prefer to use my flashes in full manual mode instead of trying to coax the correct exposure out of whatever pseudo TTL systems manufacturers use.

Try using your sigma flash in manual mode and for a start use it at 1/16th power, you should get a decent burst rate at that power level on most flashes, and make sure your batteries are in decent condition some types of batteries when used in flashes can cause the recycle rate to drop so keep that in mind.
10-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Try using your sigma flash in manual mode and for a start use it at 1/16th power
But before that, he should send his flash to Sigma to get its firmware updated. Otherwise, older Sigma flashes have some trouble with newer Pentax bodies and won't support everything which is possible.

10-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Banned

Just did a little test. Put my Metz 58-AF1 on my K-7 hotshoe. Put it on manual and different strengt for flash. When you want much flash power then you wil end up waiting for recharge ofcourse. Set on 1/16th and 1/64th and 1/256th flash power strengt ends up to the same (not so correctly messured 14 shots in 5 seconds) amount of frames. It is not the Hi-continus but the Lo-continius shootingspeed, no matter wich of the two you choose. Also set on LiveView with remotecontrol activation, wich is set to keep shooting until the next press on the button gift the same result.

So it give 14/5 = 2.8 fps (or if the messurement is not so accurate it's 3 fps)

The delay is maybe from either reloading (however at 1/256th of the flashpower) or from communication delay.

The answer to your question is: Yes you can!

Just did one check at Hi-cont, with Jpeg at one * and everething else set off or Manual. 83 shots in 30 seconds so, about 2.8 fps.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 10-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
10-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What the hell. I can shoot 3fps bursts with my k200d and completely manual YN460 flash, when not at full power.
No need for any kind of special camera-flash communication, just sync sync sync.
10-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
What the hell. I can shoot 3fps bursts with my k200d and completely manual YN460 flash, when not at full power.
No need for any kind of special camera-flash communication, just sync sync sync.
The K200D goes up to 2.8 fps and that's what I messure with flash at the K-7. So maybe the same settings used. Did you ever did a timing for it?
10-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
just sync sync sync.
This made me think. I did the test before at X-dial so 1/180sec with the Metz on the hotshoe.

Tried it different and put the remote trigger on the hotshoe (or with cable to the X-sync) and voilá: speed is back to normal, so some 5 fps
10-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't know what you mean by "busrt mode" - I think that was the K20 feature where it took 20fps with an electronic shutter... but it sounds like you are having a Sigma problem - not a Pentax problem. K-7 has no problem with flash and high fps

An interesting thing though, and there is probably a technical software answer to why this is... When I use my canon flashes (manual power obviously) on my k-7 the camera will fire at 5fps and the flash will pop until the recycle can't keep up (4 shots in a row at 1/4 power). With the Pentax 360FGZ in manual mode (1/4 power) the camera slows down slightly to ~3fps and will fire about 3 shots with flash. On the 4th shot when the flash has not recycled the fps goes back up to 5fps and then when the flash fires again it goes back to 3fps.

Since a P-TTL flash is still communicating with the camera even in manual mode (aperture and zoom information is still being relayed) I'd be willing to bet the slow-down is happening on the flash end rather than the camera end (8 year old flash - 1 year old camera).
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
older Sigma flashes have some trouble with newer Pentax bodies and won't support everything which is possible.
I had issues with the AF160FC with M and A series lenses on my k-7 a while back, I hope they have done the same firmware correction to the 645D.
10-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Stupid question: I don't use the feature, but doesn't the K-7 flash in burst at an interval as determined by the flash, e.g., if not full power or until recharged?
+1 to this. How do you expect to get good result when you're using a crappy flash like the Sigma EF500?