DA*400/f4 11818.24%
Dual SDXC-Slots 14923.03%
P-TTL II with radio 10516.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 647. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want much tighter QC. I don't care how much or less features Pentax offer, the frequency of exchanging faulty lenses have gotten so often that I am really sick of it. I am also buying much less because of it.

10-22-2010, 04:03 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You may be able to still special order it for $8k. You would probably have to get it through Pentax Imaging or from a Japanese vendor.
Really, only $8k? I would have thought at least $12k and a good 6-months or more lead time. As those lenses go that would seem very reasonable. I remember reading an article that some of the longer built to order glass from Canon is done so for just slightly over cost as the demand is low and they considered it more a way to offer a more complete line on the loooooong end of things. But there was something over $20k or some other ungawdly number!!

One thing I would worry about on a special order lense from Pentax these days is where will it be built and who is doing the building. Since lense production is in Vietnam now, I would wonder if any of the remaining/current staff even knows how to build one or has ever even watch one being built. So maybe it might be the last person who would know how to build one is on a testing lab in Japan this would add to the build time for sure.

If you find the video's on YouTube about lenses being built I think that may be where it was mentioned that the lense being shown was a hand built custom built lense...or maybe it was a magazine article, I forget.
10-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Really, only $8k? I would have thought at least $12k and a good 6-months or more lead time. As those lenses go that would seem very reasonable. I remember reading an article that some of the longer built to order glass from Canon is done so for just slightly over cost as the demand is low and they considered it more a way to offer a more complete line on the loooooong end of things. But there was something over $20k or some other ungawdly number!!

One thing I would worry about on a special order lense from Pentax these days is where will it be built and who is doing the building. Since lense production is in Vietnam now, I would wonder if any of the remaining/current staff even knows how to build one or has ever even watch one being built. So maybe it might be the last person who would know how to build one is on a testing lab in Japan this would add to the build time for sure.

If you find the video's on YouTube about lenses being built I think that may be where it was mentioned that the lense being shown was a hand built custom built lense...or maybe it was a magazine article, I forget.
I don't know what the lead time would be. Until about a year or so ago, they could be order through BH. They supposedly canceled the lens, but they have the parts and I have heard of people still being able to get them.

Here is an interesting virtual lens manufacturing tour for some of the limited production Canon lenses. They take one of them all the way through from sand to finished product.

Technology Hall | Virtual Lens Plant
10-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #79
Veteran Member

thanks Blue...those are definitely newer video's (or maybe re-edited?? as some parts of the final assembly are the same video but look better for some reason) than I watched last year. Really anyone interested in photography should take the time to watch this so there is some appreciation as to how complicated it is to make the lense elements and combine them into the final product.

Watching the production process in those vids shows how a single flaky press, grinder or polishing heads or compounds can lead to bad batches of lenses from any mfg. And this is just the glass part of the lenses.

I am very familiar with the chemistry of making glass but only have a passing knowledge of optical grade glass formulas, they are a very closely guarded company secret in many cases. Something the video didn't touch on because it's, well a promo sort of thing, but there is a big danger of environmental contamination of the powdered mixture prior to melting as well as batch to batch cross contamination. Any of which can wreck a whole batch of glass. Heck back in the old days of the glass industry here in the US it was not unheard of for a worker, looking for day or two off, to simply toss a single penny into a melting crucible of glass which would wreck the color of the glass so that line would get shut down for a day or more while it was all cleaned completely.

Clarity can also be affected from environmental contamination while just cooling or even worse temp variations. I wonder what modern clean-room like improvements have done to improve production yields..

It's really interesting stuff.

About getting a lense custom made by Pentax, like with many things it could just be knowing the right person. Still it might simply be impossible to produce the glass needed. Molds get lost or destroyed over the years and that also can affect custom orders. Formulas get lost....even test labs might not be able to produce the glass needed for a single lense for lack of the ability to mold the needed elements or grand & polish them properly. Though I imagine most glass comes from the same handful of mfg's these days, well, I assume given the complexity it has always been that way.

10-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Brecklundin, I'm guessing they still have some elements etc. in stock and maybe even completed lenses, but like you said it is a matter of connections since BH quit taking orders. It is amazing how guarded the information is even for the lens from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Gerjan van Oosten had to work really close with some of the various Pentax entities to get what information he got for his book.
10-24-2010, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

All I really want is a ROADMAP.

The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" keeps ringing heavily in my ears.

Out of all the "major" makers, Pentax's future intentions are the vaguest by far.
10-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #82
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
THAT is what I want from Pentax. No, not necessarily longer lenses, but stuff like that which shows their inner workings and processes.*

Who designs the Limiteds, and what's their vision behind them? What did they do to the K-5's AF system? Things of that nature - but not overly technical like those patent documents that keep cropping up.

*I'm well aware of the danger of mere mortals trying to figure out how the bloody hell Pentax thinks. I'm willing to risk the insanity.
11-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillCarney Quote
I did not see DFS on your poll.

While I have four Pentax film cameras I will not buy a Pentax DSLR that forces the DFS. It's a killer for me. I recently picked up a Canon 10d to test and will most likely be in the market for a new DSLR in the spring. Pentax has till then to fix the DFS issue for me.

William
The reason DFS is not in the poll is that both the K-R and the K-5 do not force DFS.
The issue is closed as far as the new Pentax bodies are concerned.

11-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #84
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
DA*400/4 will be very expensive, need DA*400/5.6 IMO with price not above $1000-1200 and with good resolution at f5.6-11.
This. And a D3X in a K-7 body.
11-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #85
Veteran Member

It's interesting to note that with the possible exception of better-tracking-af-please as a stand-out winner, the result of this poll after it's been open for a while is basically: yup, we want all this stuff.
11-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
All I really want is a ROADMAP.

The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" keeps ringing heavily in my ears.

Out of all the "major" makers, Pentax's future intentions are the vaguest by far.
Yay, The Clash and Pentax in the same post! +rep.
I'm also eyeing up the others, but the one simple thing that would probably keep me here is an SDM compatible 1.4x TC. I'm happy to use Sigma lenses with HSM, but the Tamron and Kenko TC's seems to fluctuate in reliability with HSM.
11-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #87
Veteran Member

I must say that with K-5 I got nearly all I need. Maybe, I would like to have just a thing more: in live view, I would like the camera to be able to shoot directly after contrast focusing, instead of let the mirror go down, go up and THEN take the shot.

Last edited by eurostar; 11-22-2010 at 10:41 AM.
11-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #88
Veteran Member

GPS geo-tagging would be nice.
11-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #89
Forum Member

A 2xTC. That works in AF with Sigma and Pentax lenses.
11-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #90
Veteran Member

what we (I) want is Pentax to fricken remake their flashes with durability in mind. And while they're at it, lets get P-TTL up there with Nikon's equivalent While we are (I am) on the topic of flashes, how about a macro flash? Nikon and canon and sony have them, why not us? (I know we have a ring flash, thats not what Im talking about.)

Finally, last but not least, WE (can I speak for all of us?) want some new lenses! None of these "superzooms" or slow plastic primes, something completely different