Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Apple's return to profitability was due to their procucts, not slogans.
Yes. And the return of Steve Jobs and his RDF

QuoteQuote:
Worse even. Pentax has underdog status where underdog has turned cult in some cases. But it always hurts if the entity in question (ie., Pentax) says about themseves they are underdog, cult, cool, different, ... or interesting. Attributes like that must always come from external parties. And now, with that campaign, any such external attribute is loosong impact and credibility.

Imagine how uncool it be if BMW ran a campaign "Be Cool" ...
Hehe. I'm still not quite sure if you're right about the Pentax slogan, though. And I have a feeling that there might be cultural differences at work here, i.e. that this slogan may work differently in the US and in Germany or Norway (do they use this slogan in Germany?). Some styles of marketing are very specific to culture. E.g. typical German toothpaste advertisements with lots of pseudo science and Herr Professor Doktor Doktor Odont. Schlaumeier would not work equally well in Norway

10-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great ad.
Fun yet effective.
Thanks for sharing.
10-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
do they use this slogan in Germany?
Good point. No, slogan in US is "Be Interesting" and in EU it is "Pix your life".

However, we don't know if it is due to different marketing agencies. Or because the other slogan wouldn't work in the respective other country.
10-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If only they can make a Canon G12/Panasonic LX3/LX5 killer, then I'll really sit up and take notice.
Absolutely yes! Wouldn't a rugged/WR version cement Pentax's mid-range niche. The W series has potential. I've got a small child and would love to have something small and quick and ding/spill proof. And something I don't have to grab from his hands.

However, we don't know if it is due to different marketing agencies. Or because the other slogan wouldn't work in the respective other country.
The use no slogan at all on the dSLR banner ads I've seen at the big camera stores and the train stations, here in Tokyo. But then again you can still see their ads for the K20D. (>_<)

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
This is a bit over the top, but I am amazed that the W90 nearly stood up to vice grips:
I love that review. His whole shtick is right on.

10-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the time, people don't realize what slogans say. So, "Think Different" or "Be Interesting" have no impact or only the longer word has a subtle
influence. But if people realize what a slogan says, the effect turns negative.
I agree with falk on this one, it's insinuating that if you don't use a pentax you're boring. So someone who spent $17,000 on a titanium leica M9 with ostrich leather grip is going to be pretty steamed at being labelled as boring. Though I don't know if my hypothesis is true or not, I don't belong to the same subset or economic bracket of men who would buy such a ridiculously ostentatious contrivance, My current M9 with it's vulcanised rubber covering does very well from and functional and ergonomic point of view.

Imagine how uncool it be if BMW ran a campaign "Be Cool"
well it would probably make for a change from the particular subset of men that buy BMW cars, which in my part of the world are typically doctors and lawyers,fat,balding,overpaid and looking for yet another status symbol. changing their vehicular design would have to be reflected in their marketing.. especially if they wanted to gear their products to the more environmentally concerned among us.
10-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
men that buy BMW cars, which in my part of the world are typically doctors and lawyers,fat,balding,overpaid.
That used to be the Mercedes buyer stereotype in my part of the world. And esp. in Munich, everybody is driving BMW But we're drifting OT here ...
10-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But we're drifting OT here
Indeed, we are. But the fundamental aspects of marketing 101 is be appealing to your demographic, and from the way I see it (in my part of the world) pentax has only been somewhat successful in that area.

Pentax does posses some unique strengths and the biggest of them is in the lenses, I will point out that their flash line up needs an update, the most recent product from the Pentax flash line up is the AF160FC I haven't seen a single scrap of advertising this particular ring flash, yet I have seen such advertising in publications e.g: National geographic and various wildlife/macro magazines from companies like canon and Nikon advertising their CLS system.

10-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get the magazine Outdoor Photographer and have never seen an ad for Pentax (except in the B and H section). Seems like if that is there niche, they would do well to get their name out there. High quality, weather sealed cameras that are light enough to take on a hike. And the funny thing is that a surprising number of the photographers that shoot for them still use film Pentax 645s and 67s. Seems like a good spot to target.
10-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I like it.

Pentax is a niche brand these days, but niches are always more interesting than the mainstream. So it makes a virtue of Pentax's minority position in the market.

Moreover, I think that the emphasis on the Optio line is sensible, and demonstrates that Pentax are taking a long term view here. My first digital camera was an Olympus bridge camera, and I probably would have stuck with Olympus when I moved up to an SLR if they had a body that was competitive with the K20D.
10-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I agree, my words were a bit strong ...

Most of the time, people don't realize what slogans say. So, "Think Different" or "Be Interesting" have no impact or only the longer word has a subtle influence. But if people realize what a slogan says, the effect turns negative.

Apple's return to profitability was due to their procucts, not slogans. Like Pentax success is one of the good and applauded product properties of the K-x, not colors nor slogan.

Worse even. Pentax has underdog status where underdog has turned cult in some cases. But it always hurts if the entity in question (ie., Pentax) says about themseves they are underdog, cult, cool, different, ... or interesting. Attributes like that must always come from external parties. And now, with that campaign, any such external attribute is loosong impact and credibility.

Imagine how uncool it be if BMW ran a campaign "Be Cool" ...
My original thought (which is of no consequence--I loved the ads!) was that 'interesting' is the word one reaches for when one wants to say something inoffensive about something that isn't very good, say when an acquaintance insists that one read an unpublished novel of his, which is no better than expected. 'Well, it was interesting' is what I'd probably say. This is compatible with Falk Lumo's observation. Actually 'Be interesting' is not much worse than other slogans, and the shear novelty of any Pentax advertising at all may mean the ads have an effect. That would be great from my point of view, as I love my K-7 and, like just about everyone else here, I am eyeing the K-5 with keen interest and want Pentax to thrive.
10-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Snip.....

well it would probably make for a change from the particular subset of men that buy BMW cars, which in my part of the world are typically doctors and lawyers,fat,balding,overpaid and looking for yet another status symbol. changing their vehicular design would have to be reflected in their marketing.. especially if they wanted to gear their products to the more environmentally concerned among us.
So no Commodores or Falcons/Fairmonts then
10-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So no Commodores or Falcons/Fairmonts then
ohh yes there are plenty of those but I was referring to people who posses more money than sense.
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #43
Inactive Account

thannks for sharing