Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know about you the macro video thing looks super fun! for $200 I might get it just for fun.
it is not DSLR its should not be a DSLR.
its a cool gadget

I do want a pentax point and shoot that it is Leica D lux 4 style. wide fast lens and kick-ass DR
since Ned Bunnel likes that camera so much why not make one. kind of an high end P&S

10-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I prefer the 1st Broom Closet K-5 video
10-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I prefer the 1st Broom Closet K-5 video
Well for hilarity, yeah.

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I do want a pentax point and shoot that it is Leica D lux 4 style. wide fast lens and kick-ass DR since Ned Bunnel likes that camera so much why not make one. kind of an high end P&S
Yes, better p&s! Something built like the W80 with a prime lens, perhaps? 8^)
10-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent piece of marketing. The W90 is like a gateway drug to a Pentax DSLR with WR, so by promoting the cheapest point of entry into Pentax land they get a new group of users who may one day consider a higher end product and have hopefully positive thoughts about that W90 they bought. Most people start out small and work their way up. I personally started out with a 2MP digicam around 2002, now into more advanced tools like the K-7 and WR lenses.

10-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks great!
Hope to see more for the K-r and K-5 systems.
Pentax really has to start assuring people of their product advantages if they want to convince them to buy Pentax over the competition.
10-13-2010, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Interesting ad promoting the Optio W90. Unfortunately nice advertising cannot salvage a camera that has mixed reviews and so-so image performance. That in a nutshell is the problem with Pentax's range of Optio PnS cameras - interesting design concept, plenty of marketing hype but when rubber meets the road, mediocre actual performance. If only they can make a Canon G12/Panasonic LX3/LX5 killer, then I'll really sit up and take notice.
10-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I suppose there's a flaw there: 'Interesting' just isn't something you can buy, never mind be told to 'Be.'

Better, perhaps?

"We know you're interesting. We made you a camera."
I once said the same. Marketing using imperative mood is one of the worst things you can do, sending customers away. Esp. for a fun product.

Nikon's "I am" campaign therefore does a better job. If Pentax wanted to keep the theme, then

"Only for the Interesting"

could have been an option.

10-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Why is Pentax focusing so much on it's Optio line ? Are they making so much money on them compared to the DSLR and lenses line ?
Because the market is 10 times bigger. Also here Pentax show an attribute that is different than most other compact . Also this is to improve the knowledge of the Pentax name
10-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Marketing using imperative mood is one of the worst things you can do, sending customers away.
I don't think customers were sent away by Apple's "Think Different" campaign, which was pretty much coincident with their return to profitability...
10-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't think customers were sent away by Apple's "Think Different" campaign, which was pretty much coincident with their return to profitability...
Ok, I agree, my words were a bit strong ...

Most of the time, people don't realize what slogans say. So, "Think Different" or "Be Interesting" have no impact or only the longer word has a subtle influence. But if people realize what a slogan says, the effect turns negative.

Apple's return to profitability was due to their procucts, not slogans. Like Pentax success is one of the good and applauded product properties of the K-x, not colors nor slogan.

Worse even. Pentax has underdog status where underdog has turned cult in some cases. But it always hurts if the entity in question (ie., Pentax) says about themseves they are underdog, cult, cool, different, ... or interesting. Attributes like that must always come from external parties. And now, with that campaign, any such external attribute is loosong impact and credibility.

Imagine how uncool it be if BMW ran a campaign "Be Cool" ...

Last edited by falconeye; 10-13-2010 at 05:47 AM.
10-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
Well, quick searching showed that "be interesting" is not aimed at K-5 or other "professional looking" cameras. It is about customization (k-x colours, lego Optio). I guess it is meant to dispel association "be goofy" (and more than one member of this forum thinks exactly this).
10-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Is this an actual commercial that is going to say ... have a prime time spot?
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The W90 is only a good P&S when used outdoors in the sunlight. You take it indoors, or in low light and the image quality is horrible. The camera is auto programmed to raise the ISO in lower light, and doing so results in alot of noise.

That being said, mine has been under water, rained on, had beer spilled on, licked by a dog, in a mud puddle (accident getting out of truck ), at the beach in sand many times, wet with saltwater at the beach, and thrown 5 feet into the side of a wooden cabinet (another accident). And it still works problem free.

I don't care what the ad slogan says. It's the performance of the product that matters. The W90 does the job for a P&S. If I want better image quality than that, ill just use the K7.
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a bit over the top, but I am amazed that the W90 nearly stood up to vice grips:

Last edited by Clarkey; 10-13-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: stupid img tags
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I took the company truck into the dealer earlier this year, one of the shop dudes was photographing exterior defects on another vehicle using the macro of an Optio W90. I smiled.