Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #1

Pentax UK's responses to my K-5 questions

These answers might seem a bit redundant now, but at the time I asked them there was still a lot of uncertainty and confusion about the final specs of the K-5. I was kind of expecting the features to not be availble initially, but was secretly hoping to get a firm "yes" with regards to them being planned for future firmware updates.

It's also interesting that Pentax UK don't even have the final firmware yet but Amazon US is already shipping the camera to end users?!?

Anyway like I say, not especially interesting given all the info. that's come to light since submitting them, but thought I'd share anyway.

Kudos also for them actually taking the time out to reply to me and with an individual response to boot - thanks Pentax :-)

Adam

(Pentax UK's responses in bold)

--- BEGIN ---
Hi,

I would be greatful if you could answer the following questions about the upcoming K-5:

* Does it support tethering with a PC, like the K10D? NO

* Does it perform auto-focus during movie mode? NO

* Is it possible to change the ISO or shutter speed during movie mode? NO

* Does it support 24fps or 30fps recording of movies? 25fps

* Is it possible to manually illuminate the top LCD panel with a particular button, as with the K10D? The LCD panel automatically illuminates when the meter is active. Pushing the green button or OK will activate the LCD though this can be disabled in the menus.

* Can the built-in flash be used as a controller for HSS (High Speed Sync) via wireless P-TTL in conjunction with an external AF540FGZ flash? I will investigate and let you know

* Is it possible to perform Contrast Control Sync between the built in flash and an external AF540FGZ flash in wireless P-TTL mode? I will investigate and let you know

If any of these items are not currently supported, can you identify if they are likely to be addressed in future firmware updates? I do not have information regarding firmware updates for the K-5 other than that the camera I have is not the final firmware and so I would expect an update for the final model.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
--- END ---

10-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a lot we didn't already know. It's interesting that they've gone from 30fps to 25fps when everybody is crying for 24fps. Doesn't matter much to me as any clips I record are played back from the camera.

10-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Not a lot we didn't already know. It's interesting that they've gone from 30fps to 25fps when everybody is crying for 24fps. Doesn't matter much to me as any clips I record are played back from the camera.

It would have been better to have selectable 24 fps/ 25fps. Both my video camera and DVD player has that. I get material in both formats.

I guess the commercial reality is that Pentax now sells far more cameras in PAL standard markets (25 fps standard) in Asia and Europe.

Probably since the 2009 economic meltdown....there are many companies and products where the USA is still very important but no longer the dominant market.
10-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
720 and 1080p HD has nothing to do with PAL or NTSC though.

10-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
720 and 1080p HD has nothing to do with PAL or NTSC though.
I think his point is that the preferred framerate for HD video in a given region is often tied to whatever SD standard was prevalent in that region.

For example, Canon sells two different models of each of their HD camcorders. They're called Vixia in the US (and probably any other NTSC country) and Legria in PAL countries.

Guess what the difference is between Legrias and Vixias? The framerate of Cine mode. It's 24p in the US, 25p in PAL countries.

Edit: My guess is that this is intended to facilitate easier downscaling to the local standard def format for viewing on legacy devices.
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I think his point is that the preferred framerate for HD video in a given region is often tied to whatever SD standard was prevalent in that region.

For example, Canon sells two different models of each of their HD camcorders. They're called Vixia in the US (and probably any other NTSC country) and Legria in PAL countries.

Guess what the difference is between Legrias and Vixias? The framerate of Cine mode. It's 24p in the US, 25p in PAL countries.

Edit: My guess is that this is intended to facilitate easier downscaling to the local standard def format for viewing on legacy devices.
24p is the global standard for film. 25p is the PAL standard for video simply put.
I think it's really strange that the K-5 don't support 24p since it's less than 25p. The lack of 30p may be limited by data rate though.
10-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what does this mean to us in the USA? We can't plug in the camera and watch the video on our 1080p HDTV?

10-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
So what does this mean to us in the USA? We can't plug in the camera and watch the video on our 1080p HDTV?
Modern TVs handle both PAL and NTSC.
10-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I think that form of region-locking sorta went out the window with high-definition. Makes sense, since places like the UK, most of Europe and the US don't make many TVs any more, I'm sure Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, LG, et al said "Screw it. We're standardising."

Also, with digital, it wouldn't be that hard to slot a 3 cent chip in there to convert it.