Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I find the current flash'es GN at tele zoom positions rather disappointing, I must say.
Well that is why we have the better beamer: A plastic fresnel lens that helps extend the illumination of flash units, and in the event that it doesn't really add anything to the exposure. With wildlife photography having catch-lights in your subjects eyes dramatically improves the image, though the better beamer plays merry hell with P-TTL - and any other pseudo TTL system.

it's kinda funny that a pentax flash that was introduced in 2005 is more powerful that the top shelf nikon flash released in 2008 that also happens to have a nasty overheating issue.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-21-2010 at 04:09 PM.
10-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Well that is why we have the better beamer: A plastic fresnel lens that helps extend the illumination of flash units, and in the event that it doesn't really add anything to the exposure. With wildlife photography having catch-lights in your subjects eyes dramatically improves the image, though the better beamer plays merry hell with P-TTL - and any other pseudo TTL system.

it's kinda funny that a pentax flash that was introduced in 2005 is more powerful that the top shelf nikon flash released in 2008 that also happens to have a nasty overheating issue.
I don't think there's doubt in anyones mind that the 540FGZ is a powerful and capable flash, however it is MAJORLY let down by its 1. High price and 2. Lousy build quality.
10-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I don't think there's doubt in anyones mind that the 540FGZ is a powerful and capable flash, however it is MAJORLY let down by its 1. High price and 2. Lousy build quality.
I don't think it's lousy. It's just not stellar. The price is reasonable for the level of flash which it nominally is, but it's starting to lose out on features to really be at that level. There's the aforementioned tighter zoom, but also flash diffusion patterns, heat protection, field-updateable firmware, 2 or 3 second recycling from full power....
10-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I don't get it, what would be so hard in implementing an electronic shutter?
This has been discussed before, and due to degradation of image quality electronic shutters will remain unusable for cameras with larger sensors.
Actually, no, that's not the problem. The main issue is that current CMOS sensors use rolling shutters; so you must use a mechanical shutter for still photo. Wait until the arrival of global shutter CMOS (it is now a race as to who would come up with it first), then you can wave the mechanical shutter bye-bye, and put an end to the discussion of flash sync speed. Global shutter sensor would allow flash sync at ANY speed.

10-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Global shutter sensor would allow flash sync at ANY speed.
Well, no. But it's a nice thought.
10-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I don't think it's lousy. It's just not stellar. The price is reasonable for the level of flash which it nominally is, but it's starting to lose out on features to really be at that level. There's the aforementioned tighter zoom, but also flash diffusion patterns, heat protection, field-updateable firmware, 2 or 3 second recycling from full power....
Well as I've said on previous posts after comparing the build quality of an $80 Yongnuo 560 to the Pentax it's clear the Pentax is pretty lousy in terms of quality and price.

If only Pentax licensed Yongnup to make the 560 for them with all the features of the 540FGZ they'd have a killer flash.
10-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

Interestingly prices from BHP is:

The Canon 580EXII is $480 US

The Pentax 540 is $384 USD

In Australia on the other hand the Pentax can be bought for around $600US which makes it atrocious values for money locally.
10-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly prices from BHP is:

The Canon 580EXII is $480 US

The Pentax 540 is $384 USD

In Australia on the other hand the Pentax can be bought for around $600US which makes it atrocious values for money locally.
Just out of curiosity, what do the Metz and Sigma flashes run, there?

10-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Wait until the arrival of global shutter CMOS (it is now a race as to who would come up with it first), then you can wave the mechanical shutter bye-bye, and put an end to the discussion of flash sync speed. Global shutter sensor would allow flash sync at ANY speed.
typical wishful thinking, that technology is going to sweep all the difficulties of life out of the way. There is still going the be the issue of heat and the maximum speed that global shutters can obtain. One of the advantages of physical shutters at the moment is that they also protect the sensor from dust and crud in the mirror box,sure that is what the LPF is for but the shutter is still the first line of defence against all the motes of dust floating in your mirror box.

Heat is the enemy of sensors, as a sensor gets hotter the more noise will become an issue. AFAIK with global shutters because there is no physical curtain keeping the sensor in the dark, the sensor is going to continually build up a charge because there is nothing preventing light from hitting it (which is what a mechanical shutter prevents because the sensor is kept in the dark) then the sensor is going to be more inclined to heat up because of that charge that is being built up. And if the sensor has to clear itself every second or so that is also going to lead to a tremendous drain on battery power too come to think of it.

IMO new technology can be a good thing but of this I assure you; global shutters are probably going to have a nasty set of drawbacks and annoying teething issues of their own.

"progress means bad thing happen faster" - Terry Pratchett.
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
typical wishful thinking, that technology is going to sweep all the difficulties of life out of the way. There is still going the be the issue of heat and the maximum speed that global shutters can obtain. One of the advantages of physical shutters at the moment is that they also protect the sensor from dust and crud in the mirror box,sure that is what the LPF is for but the shutter is still the first line of defence against all the motes of dust floating in your mirror box.

Heat is the enemy of sensors, as a sensor gets hotter the more noise will become an issue. AFAIK with global shutters because there is no physical curtain keeping the sensor in the dark, the sensor is going to continually build up a charge because there is nothing preventing light from hitting it (which is what a mechanical shutter prevents because the sensor is kept in the dark) then the sensor is going to be more inclined to heat up because of that charge that is being built up. And if the sensor has to clear itself every second or so that is also going to lead to a tremendous drain on battery power too come to think of it.

IMO new technology can be a good thing but of this I assure you; global shutters are probably going to have a nasty set of drawbacks and annoying teething issues of their own.

"progress means bad thing happen faster" - Terry Pratchett.

This is the same sort of thinking with people that want to see EVIL replace dSLR systems completely. They don't see them as complimentary systems. For one thing, it will be a while before there is an EVG good enough for many kinds of macro photography. Plus, the systems are a bit unwieldy with long lenses. With a tripod setup it doesn't matter. However, I see optical viewfinders as part of the optical system. Some people just flip out over the mirror system though. They also hangup on the short registration distance of the EVIL bodies. However, the importance that had in the rangefinder bodies was with the wide angle lenses. However it was a penalty with the tele lenses over 80mm. Plus, even in aps-c, the wideangle advantage is already charged a penalty so the old rangefinder film bodies and the M9 are still ahead of the EVIL in that regard. I have already mentioned that they are unwieldy with tele lenses.

In the next 10 to 15 years, it won't surprise me to see digital cameras reach a peak much like film did.
10-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
so the old rangefinder film bodies and the M9 are still ahead of the EVIL in that regard
just about every leica camera body in history is unwieldy with the noctilux on it... but I get your point.Differences in shutter mechanism and camera architecture can lead to holy wars, ever heard of the fan-blade metal focal plane shutter? - an ingenious and economically unviable solution in the age where the rubberized horizontal travel focal plane shutter was common, a mechanism that required half of the force to cock and provided almost four times the sych speed of contemporary shutter mechanisms at the time(it was quoted at 1/800th~1/1250th depending on your source).However the achilles heel was the expense of production and reliability, to the best of my knowledge the mechanism was never incorporated into a production camera, which is why it is no more than a historical anecdote. It is a known fact that leaf shutters aren't anywhere near as reliable as focal plane ones are, ask any owner of a Bronica and they will tell you.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-22-2010 at 09:00 PM.