Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #1

DA* 16-50 available in stores again when ?

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I was just wondering if anyone has heard when Pentax expect the 16-50 to be available again in the states. I pre-ordered mine from 17th street photo and as far as I know, they never even got any. I did get my 50-135 that I also pre-ordered and am loving it. Thanks !

09-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scrapsly Quote
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I was just wondering if anyone has heard when Pentax expect the 16-50 to be available again in the states. I pre-ordered mine from 17th street photo and as far as I know, they never even got any. I did get my 50-135 that I also pre-ordered and am loving it. Thanks !
You may be just as happy for the delay. there have been more than average reported 'issues' with the first batch that came out.
09-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased the 16-50 last weekend. Exchanged it for another due to back-focusing, fringing, and overall image quality. Returned the second one for my money back for having the same issues. You may be just as well off waiting until Pentax gets this straightened out.
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I purchased the 16-50 last weekend. Exchanged it for another due to back-focusing, fringing, and overall image quality. Returned the second one for my money back for having the same issues. You may be just as well off waiting until Pentax gets this straightened out.

Hey Dave,

I read your other post on the 16-50 too but didn't have time to respond. I can understand your being a bit bummed out. I got the 16-50 about a month ago and have found the lens to be hit and miss depending on focal length and aperture. I was wondering whether you found this to be the case also or was yours an across the board problem or just an AF problem where the OOF areas exacerbated the "expected" CA's of this lens.

I posted a few full jpeg tests images at various f stops/FL combos in my ODDs and Ends gallery on pbase. Some are razor sharp edge to edge/ corner to corner and at other times showed a little sloppiness at open aps.

I generally only MF my lens so FF/BF isn't really a problem for me though it may have existed on my lens too.

The lens is not a dog by any means but I do agree that the optically demanding range of this lens needs some tweeking on QC at the source because there is no way that the design of the lens should function in such a manner.

My copy is on it's way to Pentax for an exchange. In thirty years of working with Pentax, I can assure you that they take these things seriously and will do what is necessary to make their customers satisfied.

Stephen