Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 enters Japanese sales rankings

at #21 in last weeks BCNranking

Pretty good (and ahead of 60D and D7000)! But I was surprised to see that the first K-r entry (if I didn't miss anything while glancing through the pages) was the white double kit at #71.

EDIT: Just noticed the 60D 18-135 kit is #16.

10-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think the 60D is a testament to how consumers are actually interested in having a swivel screen to compliment their DSLR shooting habits, despite most reviewers lack of interest in the 60D.

But on another note, I hope the Pentax camera rise!!!
10-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
I think the 60D is a testament to how consumers are actually interested in having a swivel screen to compliment their DSLR shooting habits, despite most reviewers lack of interest in the 60D.

But on another note, I hope the Pentax camera rise!!!
I do not thing so , it's because of the Canon name
.One interesthing point is most of the NEX are going down
10-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Household names sell, even if one of their products is quite ordinary compared with the competition. But good to see the K-r getting on the list. Not long now and the K-5 will be in the top 10...

10-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Household names sell, even if one of their products is quite ordinary compared with the competition. But good to see the K-r getting on the list. Not long now and the K-5 will be in the top 10...
I was surprised to see the K-5 above the K-r, though. Didn't the K-r enter the market before the K-5 in Japan?

Anyway, one reason for a slow start for the K-r may be that K-x prices stay low as long as supplies last.
10-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Raylon

Well I wouldn't exactly call the 60D ordinary. It's still one heck of a camera. I can see a bunch of movie buffs going for it, especially because of the excellent options when shooting movies with it. And I doubt the K-5 will break the top ten. If the price was lower, sure, but I think the D7000 overshadows the K-5 as far as the general public is concerned.
10-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote

But on another note, I hope the Pentax camera rise!
Canon owns some patents on the way their screen swivels, i think it first came out on their super zoom PS camera. In any case, it would be difficult for Pentax to incorporate water resistance in all those swiveling joints, not to mention the screen. But they could do some sort of screen swivel for the Kr.

10-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Canon owns some patents on the way their screen swivels, i think it first came out on their super zoom PS camera. In any case, it would be difficult for Pentax to incorporate water resistance in all those swiveling joints, not to mention the screen. But they could do some sort of screen swivel for the Kr.
Olympus E-3 has had the weather resistant swivel LCD sine 2008. It is not a difficult task. I liked the ability to flip the LCD over so the screen was protected and there are a lot of times where the swivel screen comes in handy.
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would figure that K-5 and K-r sales are going to be up in Japan, maybe even higher when comes to the holidays........

I don't know about swirl screen though, to me, thats not a feature that I will look for in a DSLR, neither the live view(don't use much at all), and the video(consume too much memory)... ...
10-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Well I wouldn't exactly call the 60D ordinary. It's still one heck of a camera. I can see a bunch of movie buffs going for it, especially because of the excellent options when shooting movies with it. And I doubt the K-5 will break the top ten. If the price was lower, sure, but I think the D7000 overshadows the K-5 as far as the general public is concerned.

I have to agree
10-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice find, gazonk.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I was surprised to see the K-5 above the K-r, though. Didn't the K-r enter the market before the K-5 in Japan?

Anyway, one reason for a slow start for the K-r may be that K-x prices stay low as long as supplies last.
The K-r was indeed in stores before the K-5. All four (K-x, K-r, K-7, and K-5) are currently on sale. It's quite difficult to distinguish between the K-x and K-r to look at them, and it's virtually impossible to distinguish the K-5 and K-7. Not really sure what Hoya is thinking, there. A prominent floor-to-ceiling K-7 ad poster was still up at the doorway to the flagship Bic Camera locale in Yurakucho the other day.

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I would figure that K-5 and K-r sales are going to be up in Japan, maybe even higher when comes to the holidays.
The "holidays" in Japan are not a buying time. That said, the biennial bonus is paid in June and December, and those are definitely busy times for electronics sales. The rainbow of K-r and K-x bodies really is quite eye-catching. There was a deep navy gloss finish on one that looked particularly good to me.
10-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Forum Member

Thx for the info
10-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm as guilty as the next consumer with lots of household goods brands.
Biscuits, Soft Drinks, Toothpaste, Detergents, Shampoo....I tend to stay with the well known brands.
10-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I agree, after I purchased the new Canon SX30 IS superzoom with 35x optical (24-840mm,35mm eqiv) IS lens with swivel LCD I decided I will get the Canon 60D instead of the K-5 because I wanted manual video control and a choice of 1080p modes (30,25,24fps) along with 720p @60fps. The 60D also is an Eye-Fi compatible camera like my SX30 IS that I use to upload HD videos to youtube and stills to Flickr using the Eye-Fi Pro X2's 802.11n wi-fi. I will be using an adapter to use my K-mount and 6x7 lenses on the 60D and will keep my two Pentax DSLRs because I like them also. BTW te 60D is even better than the 7D for video since the 60D has manual control over audio and the 7D does not and I will be using my Rode Stereo VideoMic with it. The swivel 3.0” Vari-angle wide LCD monitor features a 3:2 aspect ratio and a 1,040k dot resolution is also a big advantage in video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ZDPyC3D3E[/YT]

10-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I dont get what so speciall about those shots?

You can set the apparture on the Pentax Line of video capable DSLRs, you can then lock the exposure with the exp lock. Shoot away, up up and atom...