Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Pentax phoenix rises

Saw this over at Pentaxuser.co.uk

Pentax new range of DLSR and compact cameras

Is this the start of a fightback in Europe or at the very least in the UK?
Discuss...

10-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At first I didn't realize it was a press release.
I thought for minute there that Pentax was actually advertising.
10-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well we have a statement of intent to quadruple marketshare over 3 years. Could well be that Pentax's market share is sub 1% in the UK and the head honchos in France want them to buck up a bit...
10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bold words indeed! It's hard to believe that they'd make that statement publicly without some dramatic moves in products and marketing in the funnel.

Question: is Hoya conservative enough that we should accept those words at (roughly) face value?

10-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

advertising

Here in the UK I have seen LOADS of adverts lately, in shops, a-boards and displays outside shops, online retailers really pushing pentax and loads of big posters and magazine adverts, cant believe it really!

I think HOYA has done a good job lately and long may it continue
10-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what about the K-r and K-5 are bold as they said... They are far from a risk considering the K-x and K-7 before them. Maybe the asking price of the K-5 (in the usa) is a little bold, but not in a good way. haha
10-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
Here in the UK I have seen LOADS of adverts lately, in shops, a-boards and displays outside shops, online retailers really pushing pentax and loads of big posters and magazine adverts, cant believe it really!

Wish I'd see that over here. Ads in PopPhoto only go so far. What Americans need is to see TV advertising during prime time. That and celebrity endorsement. Working pretty well for Nikon, why not Pentax. (It disgusts me that I actually believe the suggestion might work).

10-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote

And the retailers seem to be following suit, Parks & Clifden have heavy Pentax adverts in a couple of magazines I got this month, full pagers with the whole range listed from the K-X through to the 645D and some of the Pn'S range as well. SRS had their open day last week so it does seem that they have a bit of advertising budget to play with in the UK. Even Jacobs have started shifting Pentax's as well, must send an email to Damien Demolder of Amateur Photographer asking him if he is going to put a big announcement up on their website as they did when Jacobs announced that they were stopping Pentax sales...

Last edited by robbiec; 10-19-2010 at 03:20 PM.
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I propose a 30-second spot featuring the broom closet duo.

- Jason
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The new Pentax Optio RZ10 mentioned in the press release is actually quite nice...

10-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
I propose a 30-second spot featuring the broom closet duo.

- Jason
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Actually they were so crap it might have the reverse effect. but NOT 30 seconds. 10 seconds MAX. That's all peeps will be able to stomach!!!
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember the early 1980s Pentax glossy poster with the LX, 645 and 67. That was a great advert. May those glory days return!
10-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hope Hoya won't cage pentax phoenix. Hoya had a layoff of pentax in 2009. And I didn't see any invest into pentax by HOYA.
Maybe it's better for pentax to be sold to others. Hoya bought pentax because its medical equipment optics business, not for camera.
10-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #14

and about time too

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Saw this over at Pentaxuser.co.uk

Pentax new range of DLSR and compact cameras

Is this the start of a fightback in Europe or at the very least in the UK?
Discuss...
Publicly announcing a target tells me they have changed their marketing tactics, and have a new found confidence in their market niche, as exemplified by the K-x and the new 65D, and more recently the K-r and K-5.

To complete the picture, I would hope that Pentax users (like us) spend just a fraction more time (if we can spare it) on the other camera review sites and blogs and counter the long standing blind spots of reviewers where they obviously have not even held the camera. I have set up a Google news news alert to keep an eye on what is being published. (I must be crazy as I am in no way associated with Pentax, I just like their products, and the idea of David beating the crap out of Goliath with a better DLSR.)
10-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You mean like truthful & honest guerrilla viral marketing by Pentax fans