Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 @ b&h early the week of 10/25

I just spoke with B&H, and they said that the K-5 will be in a week from today.

It's not yet available for pre-order, seems like they aren't taking those for regular orders: Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) 14748 - B&H Photo

Adorama is taking pre-orders, but I don't have any idea when they'll have the K-5, although chances are that it'll be around the same time as B&H: Adorama

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #2

wow 1600usd a piece? the k5 might be good but surely can't justify a higher price than canon 7d
10-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Seems the price is the exact same: Canon EOS 7D SLR Digital Camera (Body Only) 3814B004 - B&H Photo

The K-5 is pending a drop to $1399, and you can already get kits for $1599 on amazon.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-5 is pending a drop to $1399, and you can already get kits for $1599 on amazon.
That would be nice. Lots of eyes on b&h and Adorama...perhaps one will blink first and offer PF members a discount?

10-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

Was at B & H today. None in stock. But my experience is that their shipped merchandise business operates almost as a totally different business as in not sharing stock. I bought at the store, and mailed at the 34th St Post Office around the corner, a microphone harness to a friend who was told for weeks it was not in stock. I told him I'd pick it up because I'd been seeing it there for weeks : )
10-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cerebrate Quote
wow 1600usd a piece? the k5 might be good but surely can't justify a higher price than canon 7d
Why not? The IQ is outstanding.
10-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Seems the price is the exact same: Canon EOS 7D SLR Digital Camera (Body Only) 3814B004 - B&H Photo

FYI, I think that was a very brief price mistake about a month ago during the pre-orders. It's been at $1750 (for the kit with the 18-55WR) for a several weeks now and hasn't gone back down (yet).

10-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It's definitely not a mistake- Pentax does that to get them off the shelves. Happened for me with my K-7 when I bought it in Europe- free kit lens!

Adam

10-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
That would be nice. Lots of eyes on b&h and Adorama...perhaps one will blink first and offer PF members a discount?
I'm working with Adorama on a coupon code, but they estimate that they won't have the technology needed (crediting PF while providing a discount) until Q2 next year.

Adam

10-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #10

I just don't understand why Pentax was doing this. I talked two of my friends into buying new K5 Kits. However, the high price scared them away. They just bought Nikon d7000 instead last week. Pentax has the most stupid marketing people in the world.
10-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The better camera is more expensive- this wouldn't be surprising for any other manufacturer

I think that the K-5 is fairly priced, but will shortly fall by the $200.

Adam

10-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somehow I am glad that the K-5 is so expensive or I might be tempted to spend more than I should. But to be realistic, even if the K5 was priced the same as D7000, most consumers would still buy the Nikon just because it's a Nikon. Can't blame them really cos the general public knows the name NIKON. The name Pentax has been fading away since the M series back in early 80's.
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Let's not get off topic here, though- this thread is for the discussion of availability of the K-5. If you want to rant about pricing, please start a new thread, or, better yet, continue discussion in the appropriate thread that's already out there.

Adam

10-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Now I just have to stumble into $1600. Maybe it's in the attic.
10-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Why not? The IQ is outstanding.
The IQ on the 7d is very good, but I wouldn't call it outstanding

The IQ on the k5 is unknown till a controlled bench test can be done. From many of the pics I've seen there is a lot of grain (texture) even in low ISO photos and noise in moderate ISO (400-800) photos. Not what I would call outstanding. In some of the high iso shots there seems to be more DR than the K5, but I will reserve judgment till I see full tests or can compare them myself side by side.

Till proper tests can be done, people talking about outstanding IQ from the k5 are just fanboys. They said the same about the K7 and the IQ on that is crap above the base ISO.