Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DXO Optics Pro (finally) to support the K-x

DXO launches DXO Optics Pro v6.5. From the media release:

QuoteQuote:
Both the Standard and Elite editions of DxO Optics Pro v6.5 now include support for the following Canon, Pentax and Sony cameras:
Canon EOS 60D, PowerShot S95 and PowerShot G12
Pentax K-x
Sony A290

150 new DxO Optics Modules are now available to DxO Optics Pro users covering numerous camera bodies.

Availability and pricing
DxO Optics Pro v6.5 for Windows and Mac, Standard and Elite editions are scheduled for release in early November 2010
About time too. Only took them one whole year to include the K-x. Hopefully they include the K-r and K-5 at a faster pace than that.

v6.5 also has other cool new features, including further enhancements to their RAW engine and NR processing, other tricks and tweaks etc.

More:
DxO Optics Pro v6.5 available in November

10-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's old news... I thought they had already released the updates including K-x modules...
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I thought they had already released the updates including K-x modules..
No. They had indicated their plans to support the K-x, with dates that slipped several times, but not actually done anything about it. v6.5 makes K-x support real.

Aside from K-x support, perhaps another bonus of v6.5 is that it will support the OpenCL standard, so if you have a graphics card that supports OpenCL, the CPU can now use the GPU's horsepower to boost DXO performance by a useful amount. Cool.
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's good news, anyway. At least it makes the November deadline credible.

10-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just as my K-x is about to get replaced with the K-5.
10-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Why don't you wait until the K-5 becomes supported? Then the camera will be much less pricey.
10-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope DXO incorporate the K-5 quicker than they did the K-x. Ditto for the 645D, for that matter.

I almost believe they delayed K-x support to punish Pentax for something.

10-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope DXO incorporate the K-5 quicker than they did the K-x. Ditto for the 645D, for that matter.

I almost believe they delayed K-x support to punish Pentax for something.
Then they have been pusnishing Pentax for years...
DxO doesn't seem to have any interest on Pentax gear...
10-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

They also need to include a good many lenses for Pentax; the list right now is extremely short, and doesn't include some very popular lenses such as the FA 50mm f/1.4 or the FA 35mm f/2, not to mention none of the Limiteds.

10-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

... and some popular third-party lenses, such as the Tamron 17-50mm and 28-75mm, Sigma 17-70mm (all of which are supported with Canikon bodies). They might have been on the verge of deciding to interrupt support for Pentax cameras before K-x's hit... I hope the K-5 and K-r will firmly entrench the Pentax name on their future lists. But I think a lot depends on the interest that Pentax camera owners manifest for their Product. I wrote tens of messages to ask for K-x modules.
10-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They may support the K5 and the Kr within a year and a half, when both will be discontinued and replaced by other models
10-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Then they have been pusnishing Pentax for years...
DxO doesn't seem to have any interest on Pentax gear...
Considering they are in business to make money, and Pentax is such a small portion of their potential customers, I see nothing there.

In fact, when I have contacted them, they were very receptive to my Pentax suggestions. Many of which have come to fruition.

Why do you use the word "punishing" (if you could spell it correctly)?
10-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it is mistaken to assume DXO support cameras simply according to the market share they enjoy. Just look at how many Sony bodies they support, and how quickly they pump them out. So other factors - including commercial arrangements between DXO and various camera manufacturers - are probably in effect that govern which bodies go to the front of the support queue. Which is normal and I am not criticising DXO for that.

But the delay in DOP support for the K-x has been so long (> 1 year after camera release, and about 9 months after the K-x turned up on dxomark.com) that it just seemed unusual. Hence worthy of speculation about why the delay was there.

Other than the K-x issue, I Like DOP and have had good dealings with DXO. They too have implemented some of my suggestions, so I know they listen to their Pentax customers.
10-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Considering they are in business to make money, and Pentax is such a small portion of their potential customers, I see nothing there.

In fact, when I have contacted them, they were very receptive to my Pentax suggestions. Many of which have come to fruition.

Why do you use the word "punishing" (if you could spell it correctly)?
I was making a quote which uses the world punishing. Care to read the entire thread instead of making venomous insinuation (I guess you never make any typo)?

Or maybe are you a DxO shareholder?