Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 in Saskatoon, Canada

Just got the call today that the body I ordered is in for me to pick up!!! $1500ish taxes in... body only

10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
where? which store?
10-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Phase 2 Photo, local pro shop here...
10-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, how I miss Don's Photo in Saskatoon.

None of the shops here (in freaking Minneapolis, MN) have any pentax stuff.

I was a Saskatonian for five years - how's early winter treating you?

10-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
plus 15 c today... not bad for end of Oct...
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Cheapest in Victoria so far is 1599 + taxes. I spend one week a month in Regina, I don't suppose Phase 2 has a store there as well?
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Phase 2 foto source, Saskatoon: Find a Store

seems so

10-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks!
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Just got the call today that the body I ordered is in for me to pick up!!! $1500ish taxes in... body only
Had my hands on one at Don's Photo in Regina today. Same as my K-7. K-5 announced two weeks after I bought K-7. Not sure it's worth double the money. Good luck with yours. Sure it will be great.
10-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It kills me that people can get the hands on Pentax experiance in places like Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, but not in most large cities in the US.

What is with Pentax and Canadians? Why do we have stores that carry our gear, and our neibors don't? Lucky us!
10-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
It kills me that people can get the hands on Pentax experiance in places like Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, but not in most large cities in the US.

What is with Pentax and Canadians? Why do we have stores that carry our gear, and our neibors don't? Lucky us!
Because in the USA , peoples like to buy only in big box chain. We stilll have a strong small and medium store
10-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I went in and talked the camera up and now they carry it and are pushing it on others who are interested, one little consumer could not do that at futureshop, etc..
10-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

Probably because Pentax Canada uses a third party distributor who buys enough volume to make it worth Pentax's while. This third party then distributes to the smaller stores. I think in the US that Pentax sells directly so the mom and pop stores just can't buy enough volume, this goes for everything, not just cameras. That is why little stores have been killed by places like Wal-Mart. Volume = buying power. Also why give Pentax shelf space when 95% of your clientele ask for either Canon or Nikon.

And I tried one out in McBains here in Edmonton today. Handles the same as the K7, only 7 shots of RAW till the buffer was full. No joy there. Focus was a little faster. JPEGS seem to have a bit more DR at 6400, but are quite soft and you can see a fairly heavy hand was used on the NR.

D7000 is listed at $250 cheaper. They have 80 d7000's on order, 44 were already spoken for with no delivery date from Nikon yet. How many K5's? not one sold or pre-sold. and they are in stock! It's not looking good for the K5....
10-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

3rd party presence is definitely very weak in the US. I can tell that Sony is spending a ton of money in the US to try to force a retail presence for their DSLRs. Most of the camera and electronic stores I've been through, both big and small, have a shelf dedicated to Sony, but I can't imagine that it's anything but a waste of money for them, seeing as most people skip it over and head straight to the Canikon shelf, even if the salesperson tries to push the Sonys.

Other than them, there is basically no 3rd party presence in big box stores in the US like Best Buy. Pentax doesn't have that kind of money to burn like Sony. Olympus Micro 4/3 also show up sometimes, but no DSLRs. The Tall's Camera in the mall across the street from me used to carry some Pentax lenses, but they're all gone now. One of the salespeople there told me they like Pentax cameras, but it's all dictated by the chain. The big chains just don't want them, because they don't see them as ready source of guaranteed revenue.

Only pseudo-warehouse type stores like Fry's give fair share to 3rd parties (and not just in cameras). They carry a full range of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Sony DSLRs all on the same shelf next to each other. And they're arranged from high end to low, not by brand (that is, the K-7 sits next to the 7D/50D and the K-x sits next to the Rebels).
10-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
3rd party presence is definitely very weak in the US. I can tell that Sony is spending a ton of money in the US to try to force a retail presence for their DSLRs. Most of the camera and electronic stores I've been through, both big and small, have a shelf dedicated to Sony, but I can't imagine that it's anything but a waste of money for them, seeing as most people skip it over and head straight to the Canikon shelf, even if the salesperson tries to push the Sonys.

Other than them, there is basically no 3rd party presence in big box stores in the US like Best Buy. Pentax doesn't have that kind of money to burn like Sony. Olympus Micro 4/3 also show up sometimes, but no DSLRs. The Tall's Camera in the mall across the street from me used to carry some Pentax lenses, but they're all gone now. One of the salespeople there told me they like Pentax cameras, but it's all dictated by the chain. The big chains just don't want them, because they don't see them as ready source of guaranteed revenue.

Only pseudo-warehouse type stores like Fry's give fair share to 3rd parties (and not just in cameras). They carry a full range of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Sony DSLRs all on the same shelf next to each other. And they're arranged from high end to low, not by brand (that is, the K-7 sits next to the 7D/50D and the K-x sits next to the Rebels).
I hate to act the part of the pedant, but you are using the term third party incorrectly.
Pentax is not a third party company.
Sigma is a third party company.
Tamron is a third party company.
Zeiss has morphed into a third party company.

Anyway, I'm also in Regina, and on Thursday I had the opportunity to test drive the 645D and I bought my K5, though through a bit of a bodge, didn't actually get it until Friday morning (not Don's Photos' fault, another customer grabbed my bagged K5 along with her own purchase and didn't return it to the store until the next day).