Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #31
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
That is sad news, add two weeks for availability in NL/BE, then add poor deliveries in december and I guess I won't see my combo till mid january.... At the soonest...
Still you can practice with its lens correction in the latest pentax lab! Igor

10-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But Janneman, that will give you time to set up your riding mower perfectly and put a shine on your earmuffs. You know of course that we are all looking forward to a new S/R torture test.

NaCl(best 'real world' test I ever saw)H2O
10-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Here's one shot at 135mm by Moritz Schwertner that was shared on RiceHigh's blog a couple weeks ago. Hope he doesn't mind my
Please don't swear. Around here that is "He who's name shall not be mentioned"
10-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
But Janneman, that will give you time to set up your riding mower perfectly and put a shine on your earmuffs. You know of course that we are all looking forward to a new S/R torture test.

NaCl(best 'real world' test I ever saw)H2O
That is another reason why we cannot use this, the grass has stopped growing, the leaves are gone from the lawn so there is no need anymore for using the lawnmower.. And of course it will damage the lawn if I ride on it in full winter...

This time we can truly speak of the "release date mistake"of the century... Ofcourse I could cancel my order for the kit and get the body only first but then I'd have to order the lens separately and then ofcourse uou will see that lenes only won't be shipped before march 2011, too late for Carnaval....

Unless ofcourse after all these years Pentax will do me a favour in return for my testing....

I think they should realize that most prospective K-5 buyers will only decide to buy after they have seen my SR test!!

Last edited by janneman; 10-29-2010 at 09:30 AM.
10-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Janneman, not only should Pentax provide you with a K-5 body, but they should fly you (and your mower) to someplace warm and sunny where the grass is still growing! I hear that Tahiti is very nice and a perfect place for SR testing. That's what I think Pentax should do! Think of the headlines!
"PENTAX FLIES DUTCH PHOTOGRAPHY EXPERT AND SPECIALIZED TEST EQUIPMENT TO TAHITI FOR EXPERT SHAKE REDUCTION TESTING".

I think you should write something up and submit it to Pentax HQ.

NaCl(I hear that Tahiti is very nice in November)H2O
10-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Okay guys,

Some quick and not very scientifical feedback on the lens, after trying it out yesterday at the Pentax stand at PDN NYC:

- the lens has a nice quiet motor, but it is not SDM (old news, but I was surprised when the rep told me it was actually a cheaper version of the DA* SDM whille it seemed pretty quiet and fast).

- The lens extend in a weird way, with two barrels extending simultaneously as you zoom. I had not seen this before, though I am sure it is not unique;

- The lens had FOCUSING issues on my Kx and Pentax's K-5 on the stand. It would NOT lock focus when I tried pointing at the huge NIKON logo overhead (yellow and black, very contrasty). I mentioned to the rep, and he first asked if it was my camera. We then tried on his camera and he finally said "this lens is a pre-production". I am sure he is correct about that, but I just need to post what exactly happened.

- When AF locked in and I was able to shoot, the lens seemed very capable actually. It reminded me of the 55-300, which is also capable of some nice shots at the right light conditions.

- Lens is compact, and when contracted, it is smaller than the 55-300. The body construction seems a bit better than the regular 55-300 and 50-200 lenses, but not by much.
10-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Okay guys,

- The lens had FOCUSING issues on my Kx and Pentax's K-5 on the stand. It would NOT lock focus when I tried pointing at the huge NIKON logo overhead (yellow and black, very contrasty). ..
Aha, the lens has good taste as well....
10-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Aha, the lens has good taste as well....
Exactly the joke the Pentax rep threw at me after I told him "it cant seem to focus on that big Nikon sign overthere...."

10-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Exactly the joke the Pentax rep threw at me after I told him "it cant seem to focus on that big Nikon sign overthere...."
He stole that joke.... Now I demand a free K-5
10-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian

Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens 21977 -
10-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Noted in B&H blurb:

* Lens has "Direct Current (DC) motor"

and ....

* "Pentax DA (DA-Star) zoom lenses come equipped with the SDM System, which assures smoother, quieter auto-focusing operation by using a built-in supersonic motor."

It is, of course, not labeled a DA * by Pentax. Simple copy and paste error. I'm sure that will be fixed quickly.

WR is described as able to handle "handle damp, inclement conditions. " They are not using earlier references to splashes and splatters. Not a big deal - there may be no way to describe the WR capability with any precision. I'm more interested dust but for $500 ....

With Quick Shift and WR, it will find a home in my bag, no question.
11-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Response back from Pentax Canada indicates that dealers are to start receiving stock in late November.
11-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
On the Pentax Webstore it now says the lens will ship within 10 days. Not sure, but I think it originally said 2 months.
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I spoke to B&H today, and they said that their stocking date is not yet known (aka they haven't been able to order a shipment).

Is it just me, or is the focusing ring behind the zoom ring on this lens? If that's the case, I'm sure it's been designed for high-speed AF with the K-5. Looking to see what this thing is capable of.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #45
Site Supporter

The switching of the focus and zoom rings makes sense to me. I zoom first and focus last which means my fingers are farther away from the front of the lens when the shutter activates. May make a difference for newbies who tend to dangle appendages where they shouldn't be.

Jack