Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #46
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is it just me, or is the focusing ring behind the zoom ring on this lens? If that's the case, I'm sure it's been designed for high-speed AF with the K-5. Looking to see what this thing is capable of.
And since first sighting pics of it I thought I was the only one...

But, no, surely Pentax wouldn't bend convention that far. ?

It is really a consumer targeted G.P walkaround though, a segment not inclined to want to physically action anything but a zoom ring.
Plus Q.S is on tap for those who do.

(Pentax could even be sadistic and have changed rotation directions too )

.R.

11-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,576
ozdean on dpreview has posted some pix of this lens in use on a K-x.

18-135 Test: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It seems quite sharp.
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #48
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
The Nikon 18-135 has the same zoom/focus ring configuration...
11-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #49
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Umeċ, Sweden
Posts: 755
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
ozdean on dpreview has posted some pix of this lens in use on a K-x.

18-135 Test: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It seems quite sharp.
You only need to read to something like the second post in the thread to realize this is a joke, and the pictures were actually taken with the DA 100 macro.

11-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #50
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
Yodobashi.com said (I think, don't read Japanese) Nov. 26th when I checked yesterday.
11-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #51
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yodobashi.com said (I think, don't read Japanese) Nov. 26th when I checked yesterday.
That date was mentioned before, however I read somewhere that SRS in UK expects them next week and indeed AFAIK the dates of nov 15th and nov 20th have been floating around as well.
The 26th is a friday which seems a somewhat odd day of the week for a release
But err, I do not really care about release in Japan or whatever, what counts is the time by which I can lay my hands on this lens (with K-5)
11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #52
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
I think the 18-135 will be fast focusing, and that the DC design is responsible for the strange placement of the focusing ring.

Why would it be faster? Well, why would they produce the DC line? Pentax is clearly taking AF speed seriously (source: K-5), and they would not design an autofocus system that will make their lenses more expensive without some sort of benefit. The SDM is silent, I believe the DC will be fast.
11-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #53
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,957
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Why would it be faster? Well, why would they produce the DC line? Pentax is clearly taking AF speed seriously (source: K-5), and they would not design an autofocus system that will make their lenses more expensive without some sort of benefit. The SDM is silent, I believe the DC will be fast.
I think you're right. Pentax wants to show that its new AF system is worthy. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with the ring reversal, as how often do you focus manually on a lens like that? If the minor change will bring us significantly faster AF speed, I'm all for it!

I don't think you can badge the 18-135mm as a consumer lens, though. With nearly a $600 price tag, why would a consumer not just go for the 18-55 and 55-300 combo? I think that the new lens is targeted at K-5 users who want a convenient walkaround lens that also boasts good performance.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #54
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think you can badge the 18-135mm as a consumer lens, though. With nearly a $600 price tag, why would a consumer not just go for the 18-55 and 55-300 combo? I think that the new lens is targeted at K-5 users who want a convenient walkaround lens that also boasts good performance.
I agree. The fact that they've given it a raincoat too is good enough indication that it's up-market buyer targeted.

.R.
11-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #55
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 260
so, is the autofocus on the DC-driven lens faster than on SDM?
11-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #56
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
No one knows yet.
11-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #57
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
so, is the autofocus on the DC-driven lens faster than on SDM?
No. Falk Lumo tried DA18-135. Slower than DA18-55.
11-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #58
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No. Falk Lumo tried DA18-135. Slower than DA18-55.
Which means nothing about DC vs SDM since 18-55 isn't SDM
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #59
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No. Falk Lumo tried DA18-135. Slower than DA18-55.
If the AF is slow then what's the selling point and justification for its existence then, and its stiff pricing of USD530+?

Starting to smell like its obviously just a Me Too™ zoom, because Canon had decided to make 18-135mm range the new walkabout standard alternative in the market -- after the 18-200/270 trend proved garbage.

It's also slow as a snail on valium at max 3.5 aperture - that's nothing to justify a high ticket expense, or warrant upgrade to.

And it won't be a killer in IQ, fairies just aren't real.
So isn't garbage still garbage? Or do I miss some obscure point on this?
Except for single lens owners, or WR phreaks, what does make this n00b from Pentax even worth buying?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-17-2010 at 03:07 AM.
11-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #60
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
If the AF is slow then what's the selling point and justification for its existence then, and its stiff pricing of USD530+?

Starting to smell like its obviously just a Me Too™ zoom, because Canon had decided to make 18-135mm range the new walkabout standard alternative in the market -- after the 18-200/270 trend proved garbage.
There is nothing worong with the idea of having a kit lens of that range, far more useful than 18-55 and 55-200 or 55-300.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
It's also slow as a snail on valium at max 3.5 aperture - that's nothing to justify a high ticket expense, or warrant upgrade to.

Isn't garbage still garbage? Or do I miss some obscure point on this?
What does make this n00b from Pentax worth its place?

.R.
Slow or not, we are not quite sure yet.... IQ seems at least decent judging form the few samples we have seen and yes it is WR.... Maybge that adds a bit to slow speed but hey you can use it almost anytime anywhere. No use in a fast zoom that, depending on where you live, cannot use half of the time...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-5, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Bird's the Word PeteyJ Post Your Photos! 3 10-04-2009 06:10 PM
Amaryllis - A New Word for Me Sailor Post Your Photos! 11 04-11-2009 02:18 PM
This word gets slaughtered. Peter Zack General Talk 89 08-04-2008 11:26 PM
How do you spell this word? J.Scott General Talk 60 02-09-2008 12:13 PM
Bird is the Word Sailor Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 01-13-2007 08:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top