Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
If you get a chance to put the Pentax 18-135 next to the Canon and Nikon 18-135 lenses, you will see that there really is no competition offered by either of those two brands. The Canon lens is a behemoth lens that doesn't focus as fast, and the Nikkor lens has no VR. The Pentax lens is much smaller and far better built than the either two, and even on the K10D, K200D and K20 the focus speed is surprising. Actually it's stunning.

The price is perfect for the lens relative to its "competition". There may not be a better, more stealthy, more flexible combo than the 18-135WR and the K-5. I had enough time with it today to check its focusing speed with a variety of cameras and compare it to some other camera/lens combos. Tomorrow I will check color, sharpness, close focus, vignetting, etc., but it looks like a fabulous lens for a great value.
Missed your post while writing. Sounds good, and we will keenly await hearing about what you find.

11-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #77

If you get a chance to put the Pentax 18-135 next to the Canon and Nikon 18-135 lenses, you will see that there really is no competition offered by either of those two brands. The Canon lens is a behemoth lens that doesn't focus as fast, and the Nikkor lens has no VR. The Pentax lens is much smaller and far better built than the either two, and even on the K10D, K200D and K20 the focus speed is surprising. Actually it's stunning.

The price is perfect for the lens relative to its "competition". There may not be a better, more stealthy, more flexible combo than the 18-135WR and the K-5. I had enough time with it today to check its focusing speed with a variety of cameras and compare it to some other camera/lens combos. Tomorrow I will check color, sharpness, close focus, vignetting, etc., but it looks like a fabulous lens for a great value.
Sounds great, looking forward to the future update you mentioned..
11-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #78
Pentaxian

For those who missed it, there are some example PEFs here on the other thread
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #79
Site Supporter

I am interested in the 18-135 lens too - if it's AF and IQ is quite good, there's a great travel kit option.

Thank you David for the information. Hope you are doing well!

Staying tuned...

Cheers,
Marc

11-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Same here::: I'm looking for a light travel lens to go with my K-5. I have the cash in my paypal account ready to jump on one.
11-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Sounds promising. If this turns out as good as you indicate I will have a hard time resist this one for a outdoor/light travel purpose.

Thanks for your effort!
11-19-2010, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Just got the lens, no time to shoot yet. But so far the first impression is pretty good.

1. small and compact for its focal range.
2. very solid built with rugged surface finishing, feels better than the WR kit or DA1770.
3. AF is quiet and fast, definitely faster than most if not all the SDM lenses I've ever used (I've used them all), faster than most other AF lenses I've used too.
4. Aperture change w/ focal length: 18mm: F3.5, 19-28: F4, 29-68: F4.5, 69-135:F5.6. Pretty decent for a lens this small.
5. round aperture blades look promising, but need to test out.
6. focusing ring doesn't move during AF, and it's well placed closer to camera body, a smart move if you ask me, 'cause I'd probably never use MF w/ a lens like this.
7. did I say it's small? Oh yes, it's got a 62mm filter size, a bit odd for a Pentax lens, but all things are equal, smaller the better, right?

That's all for now. I'd do some test against the kit lens over the weekend.
11-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #83
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Great- I'm looking forward to seeing how this lens performs in the nose hair test

I hope it turns out to be a solid performer. Will really help me finallize my plans for how I want to build out my lens lineup.

11-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #84
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In stock at Amazon USA and Adaroma
Amazon.com: Pentax 21977 DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras: Camera & Photo
I just ordered mine
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just got the lens, no time to shoot yet. But so far the first impression is pretty good.

1. small and compact for its focal range.
2. very solid built with rugged surface finishing, feels better than the WR kit or DA1770.
3. AF is quiet and fast, definitely faster than most if not all the SDM lenses I've ever used (I've used them all), faster than most other AF lenses I've used too.
4. Aperture change w/ focal length: 18mm: F3.5, 19-28: F4, 29-68: F4.5, 69-135:F5.6. Pretty decent for a lens this small.
5. round aperture blades look promising, but need to test out.
6. focusing ring doesn't move during AF, and it's well placed closer to camera body, a smart move if you ask me, 'cause I'd probably never use MF w/ a lens like this.
7. did I say it's small? Oh yes, it's got a 62mm filter size, a bit odd for a Pentax lens, but all things are equal, smaller the better, right?

Another Singapore scoop from you.
Awaiting your shots with this lens. I wish I have it now as it would be perfect for my holiday right now.