Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be great....in time for my Birthday, and stop my ranting about the price! I am so sick of reading my own rants that any relief is greatly appreciated!
Regards!

10-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

With all this speculation, it's hard to believe that many cameras and lenses will be sold until this is all straightened out. This is one of those occasions in which a leak may really hurt the leakee. To coin a neologism.
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #18

there was $100 rebate last year for k-7.
10-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'll get the K-5 down to the street price
if the rebate company actually sends the funds. Been screwed too many times on these mail-in rebates. Or is this an at-the-register thing? That's a much more attractive deal.

Still it does not affect the "street price" which is the retail price on the shelf or website...sales and rebates to manufacture a "street price" are misleading. Right now the "street price" is the $1599 price tag though a few places have listed it for less but they are fringe sellers.

But at least this is a chance, granted a mail-in rebate is a total gamble plus you have to pay full boat right up front w/o any guarantee you'll see those rebate funds if the dude in the wife-beater in his "racing stripe" boxers processing your rebate on a TV tray at home decides you are one of the "lucky ones" who really gets their rebate.

10-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
you'll see those rebate funds if the dude in the wife-beater in his "racing stripe" boxers processing your rebate on a TV tray at home decides you are one of the "lucky ones" who really gets their rebate.
While I understand your "perspective" on the rebate thing, I've never had a correctly submitted rebate offer refused. Note "correctly submitted." While I doubt the rebate people are as colorful as you described, I'm sure they are not inclined to give you a pass if you've incorrectly filled out or omitted paperwork. What makes rebates attractive to the manufacturer is the offer is a tempting carrot that the consumer often forgets to "eat" with the passage of time or simply fills out incorrectly.

Protect yourself by really reading the requirements, they have to be done exactly right.

Write your name on everything, even the UPC bar code cut from the box.

Double check you've done everything right.

Circle the item purchased on the invoice if you bought multiple items. These are not rocket scientists at the redemption center!

Photocopy everything you are sending, both sides.

Check again you've done everything right.

Usually things will work out if you are detailed on your end.

regards,

germar
10-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Here in America, in most areas, you can collect on a rebate through your local Small Claims Court. I collected $100 plus all court costs and attorney advisory fees on a monitor rebate several years ago. After proving I did all the required steps, their final defense was that the stamp on my rebate letter was slightly crooked, so they never bothered to open it, feeling sure it was not correctly filled out. Under Texas law, the award was tripled due to the defraud attempt by the company.
You can also make the seller responsible, and use your Credit Card company to remove the rebate amount from your charges. I've also done this with success.
Still, I hate mail-in rebates......they should be illegal.
Regards!
10-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
While I understand your "perspective" on the rebate thing, I've never had a correctly submitted rebate offer refused. Note "correctly submitted." While I doubt the rebate people are as colorful as you described, I'm sure they are not inclined to give you a pass if you've incorrectly filled out or omitted paperwork. What makes rebates attractive to the manufacturer is the offer is a tempting carrot that the consumer often forgets to "eat" with the passage of time or simply fills out incorrectly.

Protect yourself by really reading the requirements, they have to be done exactly right.

Write your name on everything, even the UPC bar code cut from the box.

Double check you've done everything right.

Circle the item purchased on the invoice if you bought multiple items. These are not rocket scientists at the redemption center!

Photocopy everything you are sending, both sides.

Check again you've done everything right.

Usually things will work out if you are detailed on your end.

regards,

germar
I get the same "helpful" response every time...I have never received ANY high dollar rebate and frankly my time is worth more than the amount I would get back ****ing with the "incorrect" denial...and let's just say they come across as condescending. It is a well know fact that these companies unintentionally-intentionally deny valid claims because the less they pay out the more they get to keep from the fund.

Something to ponder while you sit on your high-horse is you have no idea who I am or what I do for a living and for how long I have been doing it. And if you bothered doing some research on the issue of denial quota's for these slime-ball rebate processors you could have a better idea of how frequent the denials happen.

Happy you have been in the lucky category.

10-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Here in America, in most areas, you can collect on a rebate through your local Small Claims Court. I collected $100 plus all court costs and attorney advisory fees on a monitor rebate several years ago. After proving I did all the required steps, their final defense was that the stamp on my rebate letter was slightly crooked, so they never bothered to open it, feeling sure it was not correctly filled out. Under Texas law, the award was tripled due to the defraud attempt by the company.
You can also make the seller responsible, and use your Credit Card company to remove the rebate amount from your charges. I've also done this with success.
Still, I hate mail-in rebates......they should be illegal.
Regards!
Now that one is priceless and a perfect example of how corrupt these rebate processors are...crooked stamp, what a bunch of crap.

I have so wanted to take that advice on small claims court in the past but, I just decided to refuse to buy anything with a mail-in rebate. I never did know about the credit card option when something like this happened in the past, the last time was about 3-4 yrs back from Sandisk and they owed me about $450 for a stack of 8GB CF cards I bought from Beach Camera...but at the time I had too much to deal with personally so I just stopped buying ANYTHING from Sandisk. I also emailed Beach Camera, where I purchased the cards and they failed to respond at all. My money was on the fact I bought them on sale during the rebate period but only bought them because of the rebate.

For me it's a discount at the register or nothing...I don't need this stuff. If you remember there was a rebate processor, I forget the name but the processor went bankrupt,I think because of basically embezzling the funds and fraudulently denying claims...but the mfg did make good on each and every rebate. The mfg was a big name company too....I want to say it was Canon but maybe not...I just don't remember though there were several companies affected at the time.

But good for you and the small claims court!! I always have backup copies of every piece of paper that leave my desk. So, I never worry about documentation. Hell, I even print my own postage and I think I used used signature confirmation on the Sandisk deal. But I just did not have the energy back then...
10-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #24

I have never been denied a rebate, ever. I have even gotten recoveries from some stupid class action law suits I don't even recall being part of.

Rebates are easy, just follow the instructions and eventually a check or card shows up in the mail.
10-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #25

Rebates are not all the same. I've bought 2 Pentax DSLRs and 1 Pentax lens with rebates and had no problems with either. These being Pentax rebates and bought from a Pentax dealer. So I'm assuming that if any is offered via Pentax for any new gear that there won't be any problems.

Surprised to hear of a problem getting a response from Beach. They are related to BuyDig, who I've bought gads of stuff from and always responded quickly to my emails. Guess they're under the same umbrella but not run by the same people, or at least CS dept.
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well considering its 400 dollars more than the Nikon D7000... Idk though, I don't think they are going to have major adoption until this body drops to a street price of 1095.95. Or at least matches the Nikon D7000. I'm pentax all the way but its not worth 400 dollars over that nikon.

Last edited by Chwisch87; 10-26-2010 at 09:37 AM.
10-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
Surprised to hear of a problem getting a response from Beach. They are related to BuyDig, who I've bought gads of stuff from and always responded quickly to my emails. Guess they're under the same umbrella but not run by the same people, or at least CS dept.
I'm not. I grew up only a few miles down Route 22 from Beach's physical storefront location in New Jersey. Educated locals avoided that place like the plague because they were one of the practitioners of "classic" camera store shadiness. (You know - the "Don't want those extras? Oh, sorry, the camera is out of stock." type of people.)

They seem to have improved since then based on some stories (Probably thanks to the era of places like resellerratings.com - makes it kind of hard to rip people off without your reputation becoming mud now.), but I still wouldn't trust them.
10-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I can't get one 'til February...
10-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I'm not. I grew up only a few miles down Route 22 from Beach's physical storefront location in New Jersey. Educated locals avoided that place like the plague because they were one of the practitioners of "classic" camera store shadiness. (You know - the "Don't want those extras? Oh, sorry, the camera is out of stock." type of people.)

They seem to have improved since then based on some stories (Probably thanks to the era of places like resellerratings.com - makes it kind of hard to rip people off without your reputation becoming mud now.), but I still wouldn't trust them.

I purchased my K10 and kit lens from them when the price really started to drop as the K20 was coming out. The only extra thing I purchased was an extended third party warranty (by my own choosing- I usually don't buy extended warranties on anything). That warranty wasn't pushed by them, and no packages or extra doodads were forced on me either. The camera arrived quickly and painlessly. I hadn't heard of Beach Camera before that time; just stumbled onto their website. Either they were reforming their business practices back then or maybe someone was asleep at the switch when I came along!

-Matt
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I hope they have the rebate on the K-5, K-R and some of the WR lenses also.