Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the buffer is lower at high ISOs even after this fix I will understand it, as this is could be a fundamental limitation of the file size at high ISOs, which is part of why the image quality on the K-5 is so good in the first place (as far as I understand it). The big thing this fixes to me is that hard cap of 8 RAW at any ISO, which was a frustrating thing to run into as a camera user, to know that it should be faster even though the engineering of the camera should be more flexible. This update will hopefully give us more options.

10-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
If the buffer is lower at high ISOs even after this fix I will understand it, as this is could be a fundamental limitation of the file size at high ISOs, which is part of why the image quality on the K-5 is so good in the first place (as far as I understand it). The big thing this fixes to me is that hard cap of 8 RAW at any ISO, which was a frustrating thing to run into as a camera user, to know that it should be faster even though the engineering of the camera should be more flexible. This update will hopefully give us more options.
File size, as best I can tell, isn't the real issue with the drop off in the number of pictures you can take at high-ISO before the pause. At IS05000 you can take 8 shots and at ISO 6400 you can only take 4. The difference in file size between the ISO5000 and IS)6400 shots is negligible. Plus there is no drop off between 6400 and 51200 even though the file size continues to grow. There is something that happens internally exactly at ISO 6400 that causes the number of shots to be cut in-half. It will be interesting to see if this is the case after the firmware update as well.
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #33

what about the ENHANCED OVERALL STABILITY in the firmware. Will this adress also the Shutter Blur issue. There is a complete Radio silence (also from Falk`s side) about this issue . Any news or confirmation linked with the firmware upgrade ?
10-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
what about the ENHANCED OVERALL STABILITY in the firmware. Will this adress also the Shutter Blur issue. There is a complete Radio silence (also from Falk`s side) about this issue . Any news or confirmation linked with the firmware upgrade ?
I don't think that's what was meant by "stability". And exactly what shutter blur issue would they be addressing? I don't believe anyone has (yet) suggested there is an issue with shutter blur on the K5.

10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #35
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What the hell, he's probably been quiet as there isn't a Shutter Blur Issue with the K-5 there isn't any blur! And I can tell you we've checked for it. But I recommend you don't buy the K-5 because the soft jpeg issue in the K10d.
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
What the hell, he's probably been quiet as there isn't a Shutter Blur Issue with the K-5 there isn't any blur! And I can tell you we've checked for it. But I recommend you don't buy the K-5 because the soft jpeg issue in the K10d.
Took me a second to pick up on that one
10-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Maybe you're over thinking things and this is all Pentax is doing?
Adam, I may be over thinking things indeed

But Pentax isn't even fully utilizing SDHC writing speeds and SDXC support won't increase writing speed. Look up the SDXC spec. Increased writing speeds would require a hardware modifiation.

I generally stick to the principle to keep things as simple as possible -- but no simpler. Applies to my thinking as well
10-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This sounds really good. Nice move, Pentax, great for all you K-5 guys out there

10-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
Pentaxian

There is a complete Radio silence (also from Falk`s side) about this issue
Pentax is in the process of getting me a K-5. Both Pentax and me are curious to see if that nasty problem was solved. So far, nobody seems to have a problem
10-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
What without an 18-135mm

Sorry not to come back quicker, but I was checking the camera body to see where the second card slot was going to appear.
Will the FW update also give the K-5 the battery and SD doors of the K-20?
10-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Will the FW update also give the K-5 the battery and SD doors of the K-20?
No, sorry. All they're doing is using smaller bits to cram more into the buffer. Or compressing the bits. What is the bulk modulus of a bit? Or is it that they're using nano-partitioning?

Maybe it's time for another pint of (uncompressed) bitter .....
10-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

This goes to show that software development is difficult, time consuming, and costly. Pentax has always been good about firmware updates with new features after the camera release though.
10-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pentax is in the process of getting me a K-5.

That is unfair, why getting you acamera for testing something most people did not notice at all before you mentioend is and Benji and Yours Truky do NOT get one (with 18-135) for the purpose of Ben's fashionshooting or miy SR testing???
10-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #44

Maybe he means that he ordered one, because it became available in Germany last week.
10-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pentax is in the process of getting me a K-5.
I think this is a sentence that everyone wants to be able to say truthfully I know i would