Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #1

Pentax @ PhotoPlus Expo

I had a chance to stop by the PDN PhotoPlus expo this afternoon here in NYC, and I'm really glad I did.

Besides the fact that conferences are always a good way to get free stuff (I walked away with a signed copy of Joe McNally's new LIFE book and a ThinkTank memory card case), its cool to have a chance to play with the sort of expensive toys you normally only see online.

Pentax has a small (okay, tiny) booth compared to the other manufacturers, but it's in a prominent area (between Olympus and Epson). They've got the 645D out to play with, and it really is a beauty.

What's cooler though is that both John Carlson (product manager who does most of the first-look videos) and Ned Bunnell (Pentax President) were at the booth to personally interact with customers and answer questions. I thought it was really neat to be able to talk with the people who design and make the cameras I love to use, and I think it says a lot about the company to see them standing behind their work like that.

If you're in the city, the show runs all day tomorrow at the Javits center, and admission to the expo hall is essentially free (google around for promo codes). So stop by and say hi, even though he's stopped blogging, Ned is super friendly and even asked what I shot with!

10-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dantekgeek Quote
I thought it was really neat to be able to talk with the people who design and make the cameras
They dont design camera!!!
10-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, I'll be there day tomorrow. If any other Pentaxians are in the house, I would love to meet up. Twitter is @FullertonImages...
10-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I was there yesterday as well. They had $100 rebates for the K5 and certain lenses. I didn't pay too much attention to them because I'm not in the market yet. It was a really tiny space (almost embarrassing) compared to the other DSLR manufacturers. Here a couple of shots I took there...

I took this with the new DA 35...

10-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Embarrassing? At least they were there and from what I can tell in a good spot. What difference does it make if they had less room? Sounds like trying to be efficient to me.
10-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
....... It was a really tiny space (almost embarrassing) compared to the other DSLR manufacturers.....
Yup, Pentax is a relatively small setup, but makes great cameras and lenses...
10-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's part of the floorplan:

10-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
I don't think size was really the issue with the setup. All the other manufacturers had booths where it was obvious that one could go up and play with their newest products, whereas from afar, the Pentax booth just looked like a display case, which might have put them off going over and having a look.
10-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't know. I never walked by the Pentax booth without it being surrounded by people. The 645D in particular was getting alot of attention.
10-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The only problem I had with the Pentax booth was that it didnt say Pentax on it anywhere. If you were looking for a sign there was none. I checked out the floor plan so I knew where they would be. The nice thing was when I walked up to the booth the reps were all very friendly and they readily handed me a 645D to play with.
10-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a Pentax banner overhead that could be seen from the entrance, but not from every place on the floor.
10-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Here's part of the floorplan:
=============================

Ouch! 1/4 the size of Lexar flash memory booth.
10-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
=============================

Ouch! 1/4 the size of Lexar flash memory booth.
But size isn't everything. If you were there, (don't know if you were), you would know that the walkways between the sony/nikon and canon/nikon are the two busiest by far, and you pretty much go down them to go see aything else in the show. So the Pentax booth was in one of the highest traffic spots of the whole floor. Unless the only thing you wanted to do was walk in, see the canon or nikon both, then turn around and walk back out, then you would walk by Pentax a bunch. The booth saw lot of traffic and generated lots of interest. I talked with some of the Pentax marketing folks after the show, an they felt that it went very well. I agree with them.
10-31-2010, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #14

Maybe the size of the booth was because of the compactness of the cameras? :P
10-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
But size isn't everything. If you were there, (don't know if you were), you would know that the walkways between the sony/nikon and canon/nikon are the two busiest by far, and you pretty much go down them to go see aything else in the show.
================================

Well, that does improve the Pentax show success IMPRESSION quite a bit - thanks. I for one still don't trust HOYA to run the Pentax ship ..

When you talked to the Pentax marketing folks, did they say when the new Pentax DSLR flash units would be released?

Also, was PRICING or REBATES hinted at at all?

Rite