Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This rebate is only for attendees of the Photo Plus event. Printed copies are not valid.

That's official according to Pentax. Bummer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

BH are going to have a few very disappointed customers then! I am also curious how they would have obtained the PDF file...someone at the store actually scanning it and adding it to the site? Wonder how long it will be up there.

Putting out a small rebate to a select group of people doesn't really seem terribly fair either, there is not a chance it would be kept a secret.
10-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This rebate is only for attendees of the Photo Plus event. Printed copies are not valid.

So only those who live in New York or paid the several hundred $$ to Get there, are eligiable. That's ok, I'll accept my $110 discount off the top. More useful to me than a debit rebate card (that expires after 120 days) anyway as I'd probably forget to use it.

I agree, there are going to be some pissed off people, and it is here they will come to vent.

10-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Heh yeah agreed, it'll end up being a bit of a gaffe...unless they put out an actual rebate in the next week. Even still, pentax won't backdate it, but I am also happy with the provantage discount. Too bad they don't do rebates like olympus, who usually backdate their rebates a few weeks for no other reason than to avoid a bunch of retailer returns (and to be nice to their own customers...hint hint pentax!).

10-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Then in my opinion B&H has created themselves a major problem by putting the form on their site and showing the pricing as shown below. If I purchased after seeing this and then learned that I wasn't eligible for the rebate, I'd expect B&H to make it right.
Attached Images

10-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
Inactive Account

We haven't heard from B&H on this but it's entirely possible that they Have a supply of the rebate cards? Being in NY and all and probably represented at the show.

10-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
We haven't heard from B&H on this but it's entirely possible that they Have a supply of the rebate cards? Being in NY and all and probably represented at the show.

To me if that were the case it would also imply the cards were handed out specifically to b&h for distribution. Since the card itself is not retailer specific, not only would that be a gaffe in the consumer's eyes, but pentax's other retail distributors would probably not be happy about the implied favoritism (i.e. Sales driven to b&h through offering the rebate to b&h only).

10-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Possible, but doesn't entirely make sense. The buyer has to send in the rebate form and it was stated above that printing the PDF isn't valid. If B&H were going to provide copies of the rebate forms that they have on hand, posting the PDF online is confusing.
10-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Just floating a theory. Didn't say it was a good one, or even accurate. All we know for certain is that B&H has offered the rebate form. Last I checked, the other dealers don't even have the camera in stock (body only, even provantage is out of stock) so unless they can provide one before Nov 6, there is no point in them even mentioning the rebate. Rumor has it, or so I thought, that a $200 rebate was going to be offered after the 4th of November. Again, floating theory here, original cards Could be included from the reseller, in the camera package. Didn't say it was a good theory though.

As for playing favorites, the blame for that goes directly to Pentax or whoever actually services the rebates. Only show attendees can put their hands on the form. Seriously?

10-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I guess one option would be to call B&H and ask before ordering. I also thought it was a possibility that they have a supply of the actual cards to send with the camera. I will call and ask tomorrow. I am so ready to get my k5!
10-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
I went to B&H this afternoon planning to look at the K5. None were available for demo. The salesperson working the Pentax display area mentioned that there's a rebate until November 6th & provided me with $100 rebate form.
The form states very clearly "Just Purchase any of the K-5 or K-r DSLR kits listed below at your favorite retail dealer, and earn a $100 Pentax Visa Prepaid Card".

Further down on the same side of the form...

1 " Go to your nearest PENTAX retailer and purchase any of the items listed above"

The opposite side states
"Copies are not accepted"

While B&H is providing these forms, there isn't any mention of B&H printed on it.
I would expect any other retailer to have these forms available and if not, I'd expect Pentax could provide one to a purchaser of the qualifying item.

This past February I purchased a K7 with 2 lens kit that entitled me to $200 Visa card. It took a bit longer than they claimed and I had to call Pentax who asked me to send in copies of my submission. All this wound up taking about 12 weeks but eventually I received the rebate.

Whatever you do, make sure you make a copy of everything you send in.
It was a hassle and not really worth it in the end. Buyer beware.
10-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

So you are saying that they had the physical card at B&H, or did they hand you a printout? I guess perhaps someone at B&H did actually scan and create the PDF if they had the cards there.

Whether they were able to snag some at the show or not still seems like an irrelevant point - in the age of, well, computers - putting out a limited rebate that everyone would find out via teh internets just stinks.

Heh, I guess we could send it and wait for the denial. Then once received, contact pentax with the 'copies' of what we sent to the rebate processor and voila, rebate accepted.
11-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #28

Photos: Gallery
Just floating a theory. Didn't say it was a good one, or even accurate. All we know for certain is that B&H has offered the rebate form. Last I checked, the other dealers don't even have the camera in stock (body only, even provantage is out of stock) so unless they can provide one before Nov 6, there is no point in them even mentioning the rebate. Rumor has it, or so I thought, that a $200 rebate was going to be offered after the 4th of November. Again, floating theory here, original cards Could be included from the reseller, in the camera package. Didn't say it was a good theory though.

As for playing favorites, the blame for that goes directly to Pentax or whoever actually services the rebates. Only show attendees can put their hands on the form. Seriously?

This rebate applied only to those retailers demoing at the trade show last week, for purchases made at the trade show. After seeing this rebate this morning I tore into my sales rep. I actually have these cameras in stock and was not offered this rebate deal. After taking this issue to his boss he replied to me that the rebate only applied to purchases made at the trade show. I was told rebate submissions from purchases outside the show will not be honored. Stimulating sales at a trade show is perfectly fine with me. If the manufacturer and the retailer are going to pony up to make a presence then it's cool for there to be some incentive offered to ensure that enough product is sold to recoup on the investment.

However to take the liberty to extend the rebate beyond the limitations of the offer is to put the responsibility of fulfilling the rebate squarely on the retailer's shoulders. If I extend the offer to make a sale this week on the new SLRs's I have on hand, I would have to eat that rebate amount. I am the first to admit that I am not the biggest Pentax retailer around, so I wouldn't even presume to push Pentax to honor this rebate for me. When the details of the rebate are as clear as they are, I can't imagine any retailer of any size would presume that Pentax is going to honor it.
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

See the answer from B&H, this rebate is good
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1247064-post5.html
11-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Could there be any more conflicting responses! B&H verifies it, while the card itself says the card is required. It can't be tied to particular retailers because it says go to your favorite - not go to BH or go to adorama etc etc. I am seriously thinking of sending it in then taking it up with pentax when the denial comes in. This is a bunch of bull.