Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Could there be any more conflicting responses! B&H verifies it, while the card itself says the card is required. It can't be tied to particular retailers because it says go to your favorite - not go to BH or go to adorama etc etc. I am seriously thinking of sending it in then taking it up with pentax when the denial comes in. This is a bunch of bull.

I just took it to mean that retailers at the show got the cards, and they could be given to purchasers back at their stores, and that if you could get ahold of an original rebate card you could use it on a camera bought anywhere (that Pentax wasn't invalidating it for any reason other than not being an original), but only those with a presence at the show were being given the cards to entice buyers with.

Eh. It's not the best way to make everyone happy, that's for sure. But it's too early to have expected $200 rebates to come out across the board for a camera with such a buzz. But I agree it's coming off more like Pentax shooting themselves in the foot again PR-wise.

11-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

The only thing I am upset about really is the unfair distribution of said rebate cards. I already got the camera over $100 off MSRP from provantage. Think about it from a retailer's perspective as well - Pentax, if your scenario is correct (handed the cards to retailers to distribute), then how does it make any other retailer or distributor of their product feel when the company is deliberately driving sales to particular retailers? If I owned a business, I would not be impressed.
11-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #33

The only thing I am upset about really is the unfair distribution of said rebate cards. I already got the camera over $100 off MSRP from provantage. Think about it from a retailer's perspective as well - Pentax, if your scenario is correct (handed the cards to retailers to distribute), then how does it make any other retailer or distributor of their product feel when the company is deliberately driving sales to particular retailers? If I owned a business, I would not be impressed.

Well, it was meant to be a trade show special. We all sort of blew it all up because we're all yelling in each others' ears here two minutes after something (allegedly) happens. Ten years ago nobody would have cared as much, it being a bit more under the radar.
11-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
Ten years ago nobody would have cared as much, it being a bit more under the radar.
And then, the internet happened...

Seriously though, it's obviously not a big deal because this discussion is revolving around a dinner table's worth of people. I am surprised there aren't any potential K-r buyers chiming in on the subject.

11-02-2010, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #35

Photos: Gallery
As someone who is trying to run a business in this industry, I don't begrudge Pentax, B&H nor any other retailer who attended the expo the chance to have a special promotion. It is a limited time, limited area event that takes a serious investment in time, staff and money. There is a lot of effort involved in participating in these events. It's completely reasonable for B&H to have those rebate cards when they committed to both Pentax and to the expo.

Last reason not to cast a negative eye on Pentax or B&H is that they have a dealer agreement just like every other authorized dealer and manufacturer. If some sort of arrangement between the two parties is made, that's not something another dealer can control. After having a day to think about the bitching I did to my sales rep., I realize that I can only control my own agreement with Pentax. If I find this particular rebate issue too unreasonable my recourse is to satisfy the terms of my dealer agreement and then terminate it. While I hate getting extra price pressure on anything, I especially hate it when the pressure is on something that is so hard to get. I actually see it as B&H leaving a lot of dollars on the table. Nevertheless, the Pentax brand, the products, the people and the culture that has grown in my store are so valuable that I would be off my rocker to toss it all over a rebate on such a limited number of pieces.
11-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #36
Inactive Account

And then, the internet happened...

Seriously though, it's obviously not a big deal because this discussion is revolving around a dinner table's worth of people. I am surprised there aren't any potential K-r buyers chiming in on the subject.
maybe because the kr's DXO mark isn't as good as it's older sibling the Kx?
11-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
Banned

$100-$200 instant rebate on Canon 60D

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/camera/60d_rebate_oct31.pdf

11-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Yep, they're serious.

I just received an email from Adorama.com re Canons EOY seasonal attack.

Looks like from USD100.00 instant rebates on 7D, 60D bodies, plus unspecified rebates on Kits: T2i, T1i, Rebel XS.
(and more if you add a lens on any of the above)

Plus up to USD200 rebates on a large range of sought after Canon lenses, and USD25/15 off Canon Speedlites.

So the ball's squarely back in Pentax's court now.

Unfortunately these sweeteners probably can't be claimed by non-US resident self importers.

.R.
11-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just shows how askeerd canon is about the release of the new Pentax Camera's
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Canon runs these rebates every year, several times in fact.
11-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote

Nah, it's just Canon flexing their muscles, sending an fu. The K-5 could be a raging success and Canon wouldn't be scared.