Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Hi Kerrick! Nice to see you here.

Chris Pound showed me a couple of large prints at the NYC PhotoPlus Expo last week, but he didn't say (nor did I think to ask) if they were by you. Were they? Both were of Arizona landscapes.

The images themselves were very pretty, especially the one with the Moon, but what struck me most (in a geeky way) was the dynamic range; the sky was a deep blue and the clouds were only blown out in a few spots, and yet you could easily see details in the shadows on the rocks. Truly wonderful prints! Especially since I know how my K10D would have handled these scenes, and without multiple exposures I would not have been able to render the full DR.

I'm still unsure if I'll be able to make it, but if I do (it would be Friday), I ask that you keep a close eye on me so I don't run off with your 645D

Yes they were my prints and I'll have those tomorrow and Saturday at Hunts. Look forward to meeting you there! I'll be showing K-5 and K-r samples too, and signing my books for the first 30 people to show up each day.

Kerrick

11-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just wanted to thank Kerrick again for the inspirational presentation and for being so friendly. Nice to have our equivalent of Art Wolfe ;-)
I'm disappointed at the turnout though...I think there were maybe 10 people at the Saturday presentation. And Kerrick and Caroline (sp?) from Pentax had a 645D and K5 we could fondle and stick SD cards into to test.

Asked the other Pentax rep (Ken?) working outside about any upcoming lenses and the missing teleconvertor and nothing we don't know about unfortunately...still think it's weird that there's no official teleconvertor besides the 1.7x we have to get from Japan :-P
And nice to see a few of the new lenses in person as well. The 100 macro is surprisingly small...probably at least 1/3 smaller than the legendary Kiron. All the other DA lenses were there as well, but no FA lenses so that doesn't bode well for them :-P

Nice meeting a few forum regulars including alohadave and miserere as well.

Still have to dump my test card before I report back on my jello shutter video testing and whether I can process massive 645D images. Also checked out the D7000 while I was there and it was surprising how much louder its shutter was, though it sounded really fast (almost like the Canon 1D's)...the K5 shutter was nearly silent in comparison.
11-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'll echo Ken's words; it was nice meeting some forum members in person and, of course, seeing Kerrick's talk and chatting to him afterwards. He's a really nice, approachable fellow; very down to earth. And he gives away free signed copies of his books, so what's not to like? I think the lack of attendance was due to it being 9:15am on a Saturday morning.

Funny that Ken mentions the new DFA "Ltd" 100mm macro, as I was also very surprised to see how small and light it was. The DA* 55mm f/1.4 was also smaller/lighter than I thought it would be.

Seeing all those lenses together in one place was tough; they were all so small and pretty!

11-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Kerrick mentioned a video he'd shot recently for Pentax and the 645D so I went looking for it:

I like how Kerrick is wearing a Pentax-red fleece top

For those wondering, the large lenses he's got on the 645D are Pentax 67 lenses with a 645 adapter.