Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hunt Camera workshop this week

Hunt Camera in Melrose, MA in having a workshop this weekend called Adventure Photography With Pentax
“Join Kerrick James and be one of the first to experience one of the newest digital slr's from Pentax. During this session, Kerrick will expound on the inspiration for his work and guide users through the features of the new Pentax K-r and K-5. Kerrick chooses the K-r and K-5 for their ergonomic design, image quality and compatibility with every Pentax lens ever made. He will describe how he puts them to the test and share the tips and techniques he uses to produce the dramatic results of his adventure travel shoots.”

Last edited by Joe; 10-31-2010 at 12:54 PM.
10-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also should be noted that the cost of it is $30 w/ some sort of $20 coupon (not sure what it can be used on)...

Too bad they won't have the 645D there. The Hunt's flyer was pretty disappointing though....seemed to highlight every single other brand but Pentax :-P
10-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Joe
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi it sounds like the $20 coupon is the same as a 20 dollar bill only must be spent in the store? The real cost is then $9.99 but it’s a chance to get your hands on a K-5 and or K-r.
And that’s not easy in these parts [New England]
11-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Quote
Hi it sounds like the $20 coupon is the same as a 20 dollar bill only must be spent in the store? The real cost is then $9.99 but it’s a chance to get your hands on a K-5 and or K-r.
And that’s not easy in these parts [New England]
Hey, pay for my return flight to Boston and you're welcome to take a couple of shots on my K-5. Can't get easier than that!

11-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One can hope this will mean Hunt's will start carrying more Pentax gear in the future... they are one of the few sizable photo retailers left in the Boston area, and it would be nice to have a store I could go into and actually hand-hold and try out some merchandise before buying it. These days I just use them to buy things like camera bags, straps, etc. where they have a great selection and I can check out the details in person. Back in the day they used to carry a lot of Pentax stuff... they still carry Hoya accessories the last time I was there a few months ago.
11-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Joe
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Col good news if you want to go I live about 15 min. from Essex so I can pick you up. I try to avoid Essex because of all the road construction. I work as a football coach
For what is now Manchester United with Essex. Joe
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

Well Joe that had me confused, until I googled Essex MA. After buying the K-5 and a new computer & screen & 2TB drives &... &... definitely looking for a sponsor for the rest of the year. Though have hopes of visiting the States next autumn, hopefully with the O's in the play-offs.

11-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Col, that's the problem with so much of the US East Coast being named after places in the UK. When I moved from Southampton UK to Boston I looked at a map and felt that I'd never left the UK. There's a Southampton, Portsmouth, Manchester, Weymouth, Gloucester, Worcester, Basingstoke, Plymouth, Dover, Nottingham...

Those Pilgrims were not very inventive

On a different note, I might make the Friday workshop in Melrose. Joe, which one are you going to?

11-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Joe
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Miserere I actually grew up in Reading, but not in England. I am already signed up for the Friday workshop. Hope to see you there. Joe
11-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Col, that's the problem with so much of the US East Coast being named after places in the UK. When I moved from Southampton UK to Boston I looked at a map and felt that I'd never left the UK. There's a Southampton, Portsmouth, Manchester, Weymouth, Gloucester, Worcester, Basingstoke, Plymouth, Dover, Nottingham...

Those Pilgrims were not very inventive

On a different note, I might make the Friday workshop in Melrose. Joe, which one are you going to?

Miserere, you could always try Connecticut: Lyme, Old Lyme, South Lyme, East Lyme and Hadlyme (1/2way between Haddam and Lyme). Or New Haven, South Haven, North Haven and East Haven. Or the Indian names, most of which translate into "big hill over there" or "I don't know" or "whatdaya wanna know for" The last being the guy what taught Brooklynites their attitude.

NaCl(Nutmeggers weren't known for their naming abilities)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 11-02-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling :(
11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Miserere I actually grew up in Reading, but not in England. I am already signed up for the Friday workshop. Hope to see you there. Joe
Hi Joe,

Reading, eh? I grew in Reading, too. Class of 88.

I was curious about this seminar and it would be fun if we were to be out on a photowalk of some sort. But if we are stuck inside for the duration, it seems less fun. Does anyone know more about this seminar?

Thanks,
Sam

FYI, here is the link to sign up. It took me a while to find it, so I figured it would be nice to share the link.
Hunt's Show Seminars
11-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Joe
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sameagle hi class of 62 [old as the hills] just google Kerrick James looks like he is the real deal.
You could call Hunt for more info, but for $9.99 best deal in town.
11-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sameagle hi class of 62 [old as the hills] just google Kerrick James looks like he is the real deal.
You could call Hunt for more info, but for $9.99 best deal in town.

I had a feeling your were a couple years older than me. :-)
I know Kerrick James is a pentax sponsored photog, so I know he's good.
I'm on the fence still.
I have a newborn at home, so its a little hard to find time for this hobby stuff.
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kerrick James and the 645D in Boston!

This is Kerrick James, and yes I will be doing two presentations at W B Hunts in Boston, one on Friday, November 5 from 4-6 PM, and also Saturday, November 7 from 9-11 AM. And, I do have the 645D and 55 FA with me right now and will have it in Boston, as well as two 30x40 test prints made from 645D Monument Valley images. I have a 120 slide show to present and I hope many of you will join me. I will be showing new 645D image samples from the deserts of the American Southwest, as well as K-r and K-5 images, and the show is called 'SOUTHWEST SOJOURNS'.

Kerrick James
11-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Kerrick! Nice to see you here.

Chris Pound showed me a couple of large prints at the NYC PhotoPlus Expo last week, but he didn't say (nor did I think to ask) if they were by you. Were they? Both were of Arizona landscapes.

The images themselves were very pretty, especially the one with the Moon, but what struck me most (in a geeky way) was the dynamic range; the sky was a deep blue and the clouds were only blown out in a few spots, and yet you could easily see details in the shadows on the rocks. Truly wonderful prints! Especially since I know how my K10D would have handled these scenes, and without multiple exposures I would not have been able to render the full DR.

I'm still unsure if I'll be able to make it, but if I do (it would be Friday), I ask that you keep a close eye on me so I don't run off with your 645D