Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
There were rebate sheets at the booth (you can see them in some of my photos) offering rebates as VISA prepaid cards; they expired some time this week I think. I have one at home; I can take a look this evening if you want.

As for generalised rebates, I wasn't told either yes or no, so I think they might be considering them, or they've decided to have them but didn't want to announce it yet since they are currently offering rebates.

How about mailing me that rebate card?

11-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that we will see rebates anytime soon. According to Bloomberg, Japanese exchange rates are the highes they've been in 15 years. link here

NaCl(don't get your hopes too high)H2O
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
I would be surprised if the K-5 isn't the top rated APS-C camera on dxomark sensor ranking when they get their hands on one and I hope the K-r can overtake the D90 for the #3 spot. What would be interesting to see is how much the gap has shrunk between the top rated APS-C and the bottom of the larger frame sensors.
Yes, with the progress that has been happening, it will just as interesting to see what any upcoming new generation of FF have to offer if they want people to keep buying those.
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Prices are actually rising !!!!!

Ooay so I had pre ordered a K-5 + 18-135.
Now this saturday I stumbled upon a dutch store who sold for € 1.066,00. Hmm, Tempted, very tempted. I mean after all these stories I would not mind getting a K-5 as a back up (until now my "previous model" has always been teh back up). But I had doubts as to "would it be wise??" so I did NOT push the button although the price was € 130,00 less than the cheapest one I saw so far...(and which I ordered)

But it kept nagging me... So I looked later and whoo the price went up!!!!
€ 1.122,00 So, prices are actually rising.

Tough luck, I also had my eyes set on a new printer which was cheap as welll (different store though)and when I wanted to order that one they just ran out . What a weekend....

11-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Another wasted opportunity.

1. No questions about tethering?
2. None about manual video.
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

3. None about upgraded flashed system to address deficient P-TTL & lousy build quality.
11-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Another wasted opportunity.

1. No questions about tethering?
2. None about manual video.
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
3. None about upgraded flashed system to address deficient P-TTL & lousy build quality.
I agree
I'm always surprised interviewers dont ask those questions

11-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, with the progress that has been happening, it will just as interesting to see what any upcoming new generation of FF have to offer if they want people to keep buying those.
FF camera manufacturers will shrink the sensor size for their FF cameras so more people will buy those.
11-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
nice info...bummer nobody thought to ask about the future of the FA Limiteds as to has active production stopped. I would not expect anything in response other than that they are still available for sale. Direct info would sure be better than the rumor mill stuff. I don't care as I have my "Complete Silver Service for Three" already. Just curious for those who haven't completed their set but want to.
11-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, I spoke to Ned for about 20 minutes. Given how busy he was I think he was quite generous and I am grateful he took that much time to speak to me. Remember, he had no obligation to do so.

In order to have asked him all the questions everyone wanted to ask, I would have probably needed a couple of hours. Because I knew I didn't have that much time, I started by asking him what was important to me. Furthermore, what we had was a conversation, which flows differently to a strict interview, so some subjects came up naturally during its course while others didn't.

I'm sorry some of your important questions were not answered, but please understand the constraints under which I was working. There were more questions that I, personally, wanted answered but didn't have time to ask, so it's not just you who were left without answers.

11-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

oh, geeze, I hope you did not take my comment as a complaint....far from it. You got us a ton of good info. I fully appreciate the time constraints and how it's easy to ask a question ya didn't intend or have other answers go a bit longer than expected.

No complaints at all in my comment. I was simply expressing that was one of the areas currently surrounded by a bit of fog. Something for next time someone gets a chance to ask...sorry it it might have come across differently.
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I agree
I'm always surprised interviewers dont ask those questions
I understood the "interview" was just some conversations at the booth. I expect Miserere did not arrive with a list of probing questions for Ned Bunnell. Pentax is so tight-lipped these days, any news is good to hear.

About damn time they got some product into stores in the US. Pentax USA is doing a terrible job compared to Pentax Canada. Even small towns in Ontario have Pentax gear on the shelves. Most novices won't buy if they can't see and hold the camera for themselves.
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Going forward, all DA lenses will have DC focusing only, losing the screwdrive option. The exception will be the DA Limited lenses, which will stick with screwdrive focusing.
This sounds discouraging. It means new Pentax lenses will not be compatible with older DSLR models, similar to what Nikon and Canon has done with their lens modifications.
11-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Guys, I spoke to Ned for about 20 minutes. Given how busy he was I think he was quite generous and I am grateful he took that much time to speak to me. Remember, he had no obligation to do so.

In order to have asked him all the questions everyone wanted to ask, I would have probably needed a couple of hours. Because I knew I didn't have that much time, I started by asking him what was important to me. Furthermore, what we had was a conversation, which flows differently to a strict interview, so some subjects came up naturally during its course while others didn't.

I'm sorry some of your important questions were not answered, but please understand the constraints under which I was working. There were more questions that I, personally, wanted answered but didn't have time to ask, so it's not just you who were left without answers.

I for one am appalled that you didn't ask about the rumored Pentax unicorn!

I keed. I keed. Thx for sharing.
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
This sounds discouraging. It means new Pentax lenses will not be compatible with older DSLR models, similar to what Nikon and Canon has done with their lens modifications.
It has always been like this for all camera makers IMHO. ME super cannot use A setting of the A series lenses either.