Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
It has always been like this for all camera makers IMHO. ME super cannot use A setting of the A series lenses either.
Right, there has been no commitment to forward compatibility from Pentax, only backward compatibility. Any Pentax camera will work with any lens that preceded it, which is way better than Nikon, which offers new cameras that won't operate current lenses and Canon with their very limited backward compatibility due to a changed mount.

11-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miserere wrote in his article:
"Going forward, all DA lenses will have DC focusing only, losing the screwdrive option. The exception will be the DA Limited lenses, which will stick with screwdrive focusing."

This screwdrive lens "issue" that came afterwards is meaningless. Statement above says nothing in particular. It may mean:

- Pentax is not interested to produce any more screw drive DA lenses, but it doesn't mean future DSLR bodies won't support screwdrive lenses.
- Statement above also doesn't dismiss a possibility for more DA limiteds with screwdrive option as well.

When translated from a corporate jargon, all this means "Hello, I'm Ned, and I really really can't say anything in particular because I'm not allowed to".
11-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Statement above says nothing in particular.
Huh? Seems to me it says something very specific (and noteworthy if not earth-shattering.)
11-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Huh? Seems to me it says something very specific (and noteworthy if not earth-shattering.)
This is definitely a meaninful statement for users of *ist and K100D bodies. Future DA lenses will be manual focus only.

11-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
This is definitely a meaninful statement for users of *ist and K100D bodies. Future DA lenses will be manual focus only.
precisely!
11-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Unless you buy a DA Ltd lens, yup, that's what it means for you guys.

11-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I also think it is interesting that Pentax is going to SDM/DC internal lens motors for all lenses except the limiteds. Wonder how long it is before they follow Nikon and drop camera motors on the entry level cameras?
since all the limiteds are screwdrive my guess is never

11-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #38
Forum Member

its probably time to upgrade
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narichey81 Quote
its probably time to upgrade
Not until the lens you really want doesnt come in screwdrive. The screwdrive library is more than enough for most people. If you love the feel of the K100d series there's nothing that quite feels like it in the current lineup imo (I still like K100D's ergo the best.
11-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

If you love the feel of the K100d series there's nothing that quite feels like it in the current lineup imo (I still like K100D's ergo the best.
I gave my K100DS to my grown daughter, but I couldn't stand not having it, so I bought her a bridge cam and took it back. Now it's back in the house but officially it's my wife's camera and even that bothers me. I want it back, regardless of owning a K-x and K20D. I want them all. And a K-5 too.
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I gave my K100DS to my grown daughter, but I couldn't stand not having it, so I bought her a bridge cam and took it back. Now it's back in the house but officially it's my wife's camera and even that bothers me. I want it back, regardless of owning a K-x and K20D. I want them all. And a K-5 too.
Mine's halfway around the earth with a friend of mine but I miss it to death. I'm glad it's being put to good service though The plan is at the end of its lease it will be sent to China for conversion to IR. I feel that when it goes back to me it will have lost most of its eyesight... so that's kind of sad. Anyway That's too off topic I think
11-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I also think it is interesting that Pentax is going to SDM/DC internal lens motors for all lenses except the limiteds. Wonder how long it is before they follow Nikon and drop camera motors on the entry level cameras?
It might be a really long time. For one thing they just released a new lens that is screw drive only. Also, it probably doesn't cost any more to mount the motor in the body than it does in every single 18-55 out there, and they don't need to redesign the kit lens the way things are now. Finally, if they get rid of the screw drive motor then they loose a significant part of backwards lens compatibility, and compatibility with some of the lenses they are still selling now.
11-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #43
Veteran Member

It has always been like this for all camera makers IMHO. ME super cannot use A setting of the A series lenses either.
True, but the A series lenses still worked as well as M series lenses. It's not like you were reduced to stop down metering or something comparable.
11-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
True, but the A series lenses still worked as well as M series lenses. It's not like you were reduced to stop down metering or something comparable.

when they introduced the K-mount, people could still use screwmount lenses on new K bodies, but were forced to use stop-down; but users of Spotmatic couldn't even mount the new lenses. So, backward compatibility has never been granted totally for old lenses to new cameras, nor for the opposite.
11-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Just to provide something comparable... MZ-S owners also lost the ability to control aperture with Av mode when pentax released DFA 100 WR and possibly all future DFAs, even though that lens is supposed to be compatible.

The point is: IMHO Cameras are for the most part not made to be forward compatible, be it loss of AF, aperture control, or anything in between. The camera was advertised to be able to do certain things when it was released, and it's not like pentax released a mandatory firmware downgrade so that it stopped doing that (unlike sony and playstation 3). And there's a wealth of screwdrive lenses to choose from. If one has the money for future DC / SDM only lenses, it is likely that he or she would also have enough for a K100Ds / K10 / K200.