Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speaking to Pentax at PhotoPlus Expo in New York

A worthwhile read: Speaking to Pentax at PhotoPlus Expo in New York

11-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #2

Seems that Ned means the MF EVIL. Great if so.
11-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Male Gorilla Quote
Seems that Ned means the MF EVIL. Great if so.
Naah, the first sealed EVILs....
Or when everybody getsiinto EVIL, the one way to be different is NOT entering that segment.
11-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Of course, Ned Bunnell's take on it is that the K5 is worth more than the D7000. The odd thing is just that in other countries (in Europe and Japan) they are priced much more comparably. It has always been Pentax's goal to offer more at a similar price.

Oh well, once the early adopters get on board, the price will come down a little bit, anyway.

I also think it is interesting that Pentax is going to SDM/DC internal lens motors for all lenses except the limiteds. Wonder how long it is before they follow Nikon and drop camera motors on the entry level cameras?

11-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Interesting. Of course, Ned Bunnell's take on it is that the K5 is worth more than the D7000. The odd thing is just that in other countries (in Europe and Japan) they are priced much more comparably. It has always been Pentax's goal to offer more at a similar price.
What you should not forget is that Nikon's D7000 is made cheaper specifically for the US market. It's not that the K-5 is more expensive in the US, but the D7000 is cheaper.
11-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If all you hear from this camera are only good things about it, price won't be coming down soon :P This is something I see K-5 is different than the earlier model like K-7, K20D...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Oh well, once the early adopters get on board, the price will come down a little bit, anyway.
11-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
If all you hear from this camera are only good things about it, price won't be coming down soon :P This is something I see K-5 is different than the earlier model like K-7, K20D...
Which is why K-5 complaint threads are essential

11-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So is there going to be rebates issued on the 4th (Thursday)????
11-01-2010, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
So is there going to be rebates issued on the 4th (Thursday)????
There were rebate sheets at the booth (you can see them in some of my photos) offering rebates as VISA prepaid cards; they expired some time this week I think. I have one at home; I can take a look this evening if you want.

As for generalised rebates, I wasn't told either yes or no, so I think they might be considering them, or they've decided to have them but didn't want to announce it yet since they are currently offering rebates.

11-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be surprised if the K-5 isn't the top rated APS-C camera on dxomark sensor ranking when they get their hands on one and I hope the K-r can overtake the D90 for the #3 spot. What would be interesting to see is how much the gap has shrunk between the top rated APS-C and the bottom of the larger frame sensors.

BTW, there already is a $100 mail-in rebate (ends 11/6) available at B&H on the K-5 and the K-r -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/110610_PENTAX_H233979.pdf
11-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
I would be surprised if the K-5 isn't the top rated APS-C camera on dxomark sensor ranking when they get their hands on one and I hope the K-r can overtake the D90 for the #3 spot. What would be interesting to see is how much the gap has shrunk between the top rated APS-C and the bottom of the larger frame sensors.

BTW, there already is a $100 mail-in rebate (ends 11/6) available at B&H on the K-5 and the K-r -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/110610_PENTAX_H233979.pdf
That has been discussed at length in the '$100 K-5 rebate' thread - if you read the fine print, you'll notice you need the actual rebate card they handed out at the show - a pdf printout will not suffice (this is straight from Pentax's mouth also).
11-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Probably, but with at least 1 asterisk.
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

no news on the SDM II?

pentax japan needs to acknowledge the problem?

no news on possible new lenses?

that's not so encouraging.
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

News on the SDM II would only come with lenses using it.

Acknowledge the problem - this could be dangerous (I can see a lot of FUD being spread, e.g. "SDM will fail, it's now official"); besides most likely right now the defect rate is similar to the competition. IMO the best way is to launch a SDM II and boast it's increased reliability and speed.

News on possible new lenses - like "maybe we'll launch a XXmm f/y.y lens, maybe not"?
We'll see new lenses, I'm sure of that; but we won't see another roadmap.

I'd like to think that products like the new K-5 are very encouraging
11-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I agree, the K7 actually has held its price pretty well, I expect the K5 to do better. Still, in eight or nine months, I expect it to drop into the 1000-ish dollar range, maybe to go to a low price of 900. That would still be a slower drop and less over all loss than any camera to this point.

Remember the k20 started of at 1250 and ended up with a low price of around 600 dollars just before the K7 release.