Adam

11-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great news!
11-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #3

Now we just need $200 rebate in the US! I'm waiting till the K-5 + 18-135 WR kit is available to pull the trigger (and pending my rental of the K-5 later this month as a test drive).

Adam, any idea when the rebate will go into effect in the US?
11-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Now we just need $200 rebate in the US! I'm waiting till the K-5 + 18-135 WR kit is available to pull the trigger (and pending my rental of the K-5 later this month as a test drive).
Precisely. I'll buy the kit when a reputable dealer can give me a K-5 and 18-135 for about $1,800. You can look at it as $1,400 for the body and $400 for the lens when bought as a package.

Those both sound about right to me.

Just waiting for the folks in Colorado/Tokyo. If they drag this on, I'll look at other places to spend my money at the holidays. Not another system, just someplace other than photography. The photo investment will have to wait for another year. Or whatever. My K-7 works just fine, thank you!

Back to you, Ned ......

11-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Now we just need $200 rebate in the US! I'm waiting till the K-5 + 18-135 WR kit is available to pull the trigger (and pending my rental of the K-5 later this month as a test drive). Adam, any idea when the rebate will go into effect in the US?
The US could have a problem, USD$ still losst value against all others currency in the world meaning cost to import good in USA will go up not down
11-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Precisely. I'll buy the kit when a reputable dealer can give me a K-5 and 18-135 for about $1,800. You can look at it as $1,400 for the body and $400 for the lens when bought as a package.

Those both sound about right to me.

glanglois:

I'm waiting for that also, I will pay ~$1800 for the K-5 - 18-135 Kit and ~$1400 for the K-5 by itself.

I hope it sells for this around Christmas time, if not I can wait a bit longer, but not to much longer :- )

I already bought the battery packs and extra batteries :- ) and instead of selling my K-200D's, they are now office cameras for all on line advertising and simple print stuff. Could not get what the K-200's are worth and they are in as new condition, so mite as well well use them in the office.

wll
11-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Now where´s the lens-only rebate program?
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure we won't see a rebate for the K-5 or K-R for quit some time. With the USD being as bad as it is Pentax is allready loosing money here in the states. And demand for the K-5 is high right now, most places can't keep it in stock.
Maybe after the first of the year before they release the new flash and a couple new lenses in Feb. then they may kick sales in the butt with a rebate.

11-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread, but....

Wouldn't the U.S. already be hearing about a rebate deal by now? At the time of this post, we're less than 3 weeks from the official start of the shopping season here in the States.

Anyone remember when Pentax usually rolls out their holiday rebates?
11-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I spoke with Pentax staff (inlcuding Ned) at the PhotoPlus Expo a couple Fridays ago, and with a Pentax sales rep at a local Hunt's this past Saturday (after the Kerrick James's seminar); this is what I was told about rebates in the US:

• There will be a rebate or instant discount of ~$50 for the K-r in December.
  • There will be no rebates or instant discounts for the K-5 until March 2011 at the earliest.
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I spoke with Pentax staff (inlcuding Ned) at the PhotoPlus Expo a couple Fridays ago, and with a Pentax sales rep at a local Hunt's this past Saturday (after the Kerrick James's seminar); this is what I was told about rebates in the US:

• There will be a rebate or instant discount of ~$50 for the K-r in December.
  • There will be no rebates or instant discounts for the K-5 until March 2011 at the earliest.
Oof. That knocks the wind out of my sails a little bit. I can't really blame Pentax though, dollar is weak, K-5 is excellent, people are paying it.
11-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #12

Ouch. That means I'll be paying over $2K for the 18-135 kit. I really don't want to wait until March. I can't believe there's no incentives out there during the holiday shopping season. Yes, the K-5 beat the D7000 but not by much. <beating a dead horse> They need to be more price competitive</horse>

I guess I have until June, when my first born is due to arrive. I'll definitely want a great low light performer then. Can I hold out though?
11-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I guess I have until June, when my first born is due to arrive. I'll definitely want a great low light performer then. Can I hold out though?
Are you planning on selling your first born?

11-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Are you planning on selling your first born?

LOL! It's not THAT expensive! I just meant that I want the best camera possible to take pictures of the baby, so I guess I can wait until June to buy. Although something tells me I won't make it much past December. I have a K5 body coming next week for a 10 day rental, and if I determine its worth an upgrade from my K200D, it won't be long before I have it