Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
News from Hoya

In that "other" forum in the news discussion forum there is a thread about Goldman Sachs releasing a 21-pages study on new Pentax-owner Hoya. It makes for interesting reading.

My take on it is it all boils down to the profitability of the camera division, which is something I can't find anywhere. If it is above 8% we will see new products for the Christmas season and all is well. If it is below 8% we will see nothing new from Pentax and Hoya will be actively be looking to spin the division off.

Regards,

Ken

09-18-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you provide the link to that info please. Sounds Ok I guess, Pentax is selling about 20% above expectations with the K10D from what I`ve read. Lets hope they are also making some money on the current lineup. The ad and web campaigns look good and I`ve even seen full page ads in my local (very regional) magazines. They are at least pushing the line much better than before.
09-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the link

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Can you provide the link to that info please. Sounds Ok I guess, Pentax is selling about 20% above expectations with the K10D from what I`ve read. Lets hope they are also making some money on the current lineup. The ad and web campaigns look good and I`ve even seen full page ads in my local (very regional) magazines. They are at least pushing the line much better than before.
Pentax turn-around outlined: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Does that mean Pentax will be an independent company once again? Or be up for grabs to the highest bidder??

09-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Up for grabs

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Does that mean Pentax will be an independent company once again? Or be up for grabs to the highest bidder??
If it doesn't hit the 10% net profit figure Hoya will most likely throw it out to the highest bidder.

regards,

Ken
09-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
If it doesn't hit the 10% net profit figure Hoya will most likely throw it out to the highest bidder.
So, is it going to be as some people predicted from the very beginning: Hoya buys whole Pentax, leaves medical division for itself and sells imaging division for Samsung (most likely candidate for acquiring Pentax imaging division). and most likely "Pentax" on cameras will be replaced by "Samsung"...
09-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing to watch is this point...

QuoteQuote:
Pentax product pricing is out-of-tune with product quality:

Each of Pentax’s divisions generates dramatically lower margins than peers despite producing products that compete well on quality, and a thorough implementation of simple moves like those listed above should feed through to better earnings.
Likely means higher prices as we all know the K10D could compete price-wise with more expensive cameras... Hopefully they don't cut off their noses to spite our faces...

As for Samsung buying Pentax Camera Division. I don't believe Korean companies are allowed to buy Japanese companies... Has anyone ever verified this (since this question has been raised countless times)?

09-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Depends on net profit

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
So, is it going to be as some people predicted from the very beginning: Hoya buys whole Pentax, leaves medical division for itself and sells imaging division for Samsung (most likely candidate for acquiring Pentax imaging division). and most likely "Pentax" on cameras will be replaced by "Samsung"...
If the division can hit the required 10% net profit they keep it. Otherwise it's gone.
09-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Higher prices? Great, that will remove the only real marketing advantage Pentax has.

No doubt some will say this all doom-&-gloom speculation. Well fine, but while Pentax announces and releases nothing new I'm not feeling a lot of confidence in Hoya's commitment to the system.

The situation now is not going to help dSLR buyers who want to know they are investing in a system with a future.

Not likely to persuade the third-parties to produce more of their lenses in K-mount either.
09-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
(snip) Hoya buys whole Pentax, leaves medical division for itself and sells imaging division for Samsung (most likely candidate for acquiring Pentax imaging division). and most likely "Pentax" on cameras will be replaced by "Samsung"...

Since "Pentax" has much higher name brand recognition than "Samsung" in the photo industry, the company would be foolish to replace the name. That's exactly why Hoya left the "Pentax" brand alone. However, if all this were to happen, I don't necessarily agree Samsung would be the most likely candidate to aquire the imaging division. One or two of the newer digital electronics companies in Japan may be more interested in that. There might even be a bid coming from an unexpected source outside Asia.

Regardless, I see no reason for such speculation at this point. Pentax sales are reasonably strong, with profits growing, so Hoya is likely to hang onto the imaging division for quite some time.

stewart
09-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi,

I would have thought konica / minolta would have more name than sony to photographers, and while pentax has the name in the industry, samsung has the name in the general public for new buyers etc so maybe the name wouldn't be kept?????

I also thought I read that pentax lost money on a lot of point and shoots and that even the most profitable p&s didn't make much and they made their money on the dslrs & lenses?? mayeb hoya are just talking mostly about the point and shoot stuff??

Phil
09-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay everyone,

This negative and depressing talk serves little value. What will happen with Pentax will happen. Simply put they will either succeed wildly or they will not. Their mount will not disappear and the world of photography for Pentax owners will not end. This doom and gloom is a downer that serves us all no purpose in the big scheme of things. So.... think positively and don't worry about things beyond your control.

The end is not near!

I also question that a 10% profit margin is a true number. The average Japanese company averages less than 7% profit margins nationally. So, to expect Pentax to produce profits at 150% of the national average in an incredibly tightly contested market with marginal profit margins in the first place sounds somewhat specious at best.

Take some pictures and enjoy your Pentax cameras and lenses now. Deal with the future when it arrives.

Stephen
09-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That is the wisdom of the day.

No need to worry about things that is beyond our control. Just deal with it when it comes
09-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Higher prices? Great, that will remove the only real marketing advantage Pentax has.
Then maybe we should buy a bit more Pentax gears now?
09-19-2007, 04:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here is the latest financial information from Pentax, including the Imaging Bussiness division (cameras and lenses):
PENTAX | IR Information

To stay profitable, Pentax needs the new models out on the market. In spring this year they were "almost ready". As Hoya are learning Pentax now, they haven't made any decisions about product releases etc, they haven't got the time for it. they are busy merging with the company and giving Pentax a new structure within the Hoya group. I doubt that we will see an effect of the Hoya merger within the coming 6 months, but after this learning and merging-period, we will see it. Hoya aquired Pentax end of July, thinking that they have re-scheduled development plans and made a new outline for product releases in just a few weeks, that is not realistic. First they must learn what Pentax different pieces are doing, and maka analysis and other corporate administrative stuff that takes long time doing, making an inventory of what Pentax is and isn't and then they can decide what Pentax should be. This work can't be completed in just a few weeks, it simply isn't possible.

Take care
R