Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
I hate to say it but it's not going to best Canon's 7d in sharpness.

Why do i always get the impression they look soft? I've yet to see a 7d image that i thought was sharp. I even took a test image from a 7d and K-x down sampled the 7d to 12mp and the K-x was sharper!

11-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Why do i always get the impression they look soft? I've yet to see a 7d image that i thought was sharp. I even took a test image from a 7d and K-x down sampled the 7d to 12mp and the K-x was sharper!
Sharpness out of camera is set to 0. When you increase it to it's best or use Raw and post process, it will beat every APS-C camera.
11-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
How many shooters will give up a large amount of dynamic range for a couple of megapixels?
How many shooters are going to give up L glass for DA glass? I'm not bad mouthing the K5, but everyone on here is going ape s#!t over it and foregoing the Pentax's downfalls, no new lenses and hit/miss external flash performance!!!
11-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How many shooters are going to give up L glass for DA glass? I'm not bad mouthing the K5, but everyone on here is going ape s#!t over it and foregoing the Pentax's downfalls, no new lenses and hit/miss external flash performance!!!
and your role here would be?

11-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

anyways, fwiw, who wouldn't go ape-crap with this comparison?

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28apparei...Pentax]DxOMark - Compare sensors
11-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #21
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
anyways, fwiw, who wouldn't go ape-crap with this comparison?

DxOMark]DxOMark - Compare sensors - Compare sensors
People who are already getting ridiculously great results with current equipment?

No need to switch camps when the equipment they already use works perfectly well. I can guarantee that there no one out there with a 1 series is gunna drop everything and run to Pentax because it has an extra stop of DR.
11-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I can guarantee that there no one out there with a 1 series is gunna drop everything and run to Pentax because it has an extra stop of DR.
No but i dropped the 5 series and got a K-x because of that AND the size / weight :P
11-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

When you increase it to it's best or use Raw and post process, it will beat every APS-C camera.
I get the feeling you (and HeavyD) have no grounds to make such assertions. You both should bone up on the issues of resolution and sharpness. More MP alone does not equal more apparent resolution, and sharpness can be a whole different discussion entirely.

I have seen IMATESTs of the 7D's and 60D's output at different ISO's, for example, where even the K-x in RAW does indeed exceed the resolution of the 7D or 60D in RAW across most of the ISO range, even though it's a 12MP vs 18MP comparison. So I wouldn't be so confident about the 7D vs the K-5 on this front.

Pic related:

11-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Every camera company has good glass and not so good glass, but Pentax's best glass measures up well anywhere. They have plenty of new lenses, although maybe because they are priced a wee bit below those L lenses, maybe they don't come across as good as they really are.

(rhetorical question) Why can't the 7D owners admit that there are cameras that have passed up their camera (in some respects, anyway)? This is the way with technology. Something will pass the K5 up next year and everything will be OK.

If the K5 was just 12 megapixels, I would still call it a victory in its direction with its high iso capability and dynamic range. Resolution is the smallest reason to buy a new camera, even if you are a cropping maniac.
11-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

(rhetorical question) Why can't the 7D owners admit that there are cameras that have passed up their camera (in some respects, anyway)? This is the way with technology. Something will pass the K5 up next year and everything will be OK.
K-5 has definitely passed the 7D in a lot of areas. And Pentax had a lot to do with that but Sony developed an amazing sensor. Take a look at the D7000. Same sensor that Nikon even had to cripple to protect their big boys and it still kicks the 7D's butt.

But I still haven't seen many real AF tests. That's one reason I switched to the 7D. Sure the K-5 has great IQ, no argument there. But what's the point of that IQ if I can't get a shot in focus?
11-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

But what's the point of that IQ if I can't get a shot in focus?
learn how to focus.
11-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
learn how to focus.
You read my mind
11-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
You read my mind
Well just speaking from experience with the K200, I could focus manually a lot faster. And I've seen K-7 results, and they aren't that impressive either. And now the K-5 is out and I still can say that I doubt it can compete with CaNikon in either case. SDM is still slow and from what everyone says prone to failure.

It's not my fault if when I press the shutter button to focus that the camera takes several seconds to hunt and focus even in daylight. 7D is instantaneous. Tracking in servo mode is flawless. dgaies, have you done much high speed testing with the K-5?
11-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well just speaking from experience with the K200, I could focus manually a lot faster. And I've seen K-7 results, and they aren't that impressive either. And now the K-5 is out and I still can say that I doubt it can compete with CaNikon in either case. SDM is still slow and from what everyone says prone to failure.

It's not my fault if when I press the shutter button to focus that the camera takes several seconds to hunt and focus even in daylight. 7D is instantaneous. Tracking in servo mode is flawless. dgaies, have you done much high speed testing with the K-5?

I've never shot with a K200D, so I can't comment on it's AF speed.

The K-7's AF is pretty quick and 99% of my out of focus shots are my fault, not the camera's. The camera is not a mind-reader, no matter how advanced an AF system is. The K-5 is even faster than the K-7. Does it compete with Canon or Nikon? I have no idea; the last Canon I used was a Digital Rebel 300D. However I would assume that put up head to head, the 7D (and D7000) would beat the AF of the K5. And if tracking and lighting fast focus is a prioirty for you so that you don't "miss" shots, then it sounds like the 7D was a good choice for you. I personally am more than willing to give up the AF advantage to be able to shoot with a more compact camera, with in-body SR to use with my small, high IQ primes.

Regarding SDM. I agree, it's not that fast and there have been some QC issues. It is certainly an area for Pentax where there is room for improvement.

In regards to specifically testing the K5 AF, I've fooled around with it in AF-C mode and found it works well enough. Again, it's not a huge prioirty for me as I don't really shoot that way for the vast majority of my pictures.
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I can understand very well why some people would jump ship. Even if it's on a whim, that's OK - the only reason one would need.
I can't understand, though, why they would stay behind and try to "justify" their move, always telling how so much better the new system is. Guess what: it isn't.
Does Canikon have it's advantages? (e.g. AF tracking) Of course. But if those things were so important for us, we'd all use Canikon by now.
But we don't, and I, for one, I'm tired to hear this non-stop tirade. It's insulting my intelligence, implying I am stupid for choosing Pentax (or unable to make an informed decision)

For me, the K-5 is a much better choice than 7D. And even if it gets beaten in AF-C (?), I'm quite sure the Canon cannot match it's image quality.
And no, a K200D with a kit lens is not the best Pentax can do