Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can understand the need of some people for faster AF, I myself included. it is an invaluable luxury especially for high-speed shots or anything that needs to be captured immediately and on focus. however, focusing speed is not the ends or culminating factor which makes the camera better overall. the point is with regards to comparing the K-5 and the 7D specifically, is that either camera have their pros and cons.

the K-7 has a decent AF, but not good enough for action. from what I have seen with the K-5 and K-7 AF comparison video, it is much faster with AF- locking compared to the K-7. it is a good improvement if I were to say it. and the initial images that I had seen seem to have more success rate compared to the K-7. let's say 7/8 out of 10 versus 4 out of 10. this is just my impression basing from the posts. I have to try the K-5 yet personally. from what it appears, there is a significant improvement with the Pentax AF. so this is not the end of the round for Pentax. it's true that SDM is slow, but we can fault the motor of the lens on this one rather than the camera. screwdrive can also be improved.

11-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dont care so much for focus speed, but focus accuracy is important to me.
11-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Dont care so much for focus speed, but focus accuracy is important to me.
that would be fair. although this is somehow a case between a lens' accuracy and camera AF adjustment at some point as well.
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this "real world" enough for you?

Angle of View :: Pentax K-5 and an Exposure "Oops"

11-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #35

K5

Hi guys, can not wait to buy a K5 with 18-135 & 35macro just have to wait a while as money is a bit short. I have a K7 with a few lenses so that will do for a few months. Regards Ian
11-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For me, the K-5 is a much better choice than 7D. And even if it gets beaten in AF-C (?), I'm quite sure the Canon cannot match it's image quality.
And no, a K200D with a kit lens is not the best Pentax can do
Quite sure?! Check the IR Comparometer shots, and you'll see that not only can the EOS 7D match the K5 image quality, it actually is BETTER at ISO 100 through 800, and still holds a slight edge at ISO 1600 (check the red leaves on red fabric, and you'll see the K5 is already mush at ISO 800, the EOS 7D still holds some detail; the bottle cap just below looks mushy on the K5 too, all the way down to ISO 100, compared with the EOS 7D shots). At ISO 1600+, they're both pretty awful, but I certainly wouldn't give the K5 an image quality edge...I'd say the EOS 7d holds a clear edge all the way from ISO 100 to ISO 800. Anything above ISO 800 looks pretty awful on either (too much detail smearing noise reduction), so who cares. Hell, an EOS 40D looks better at ISO 1600 than EITHER the K5 OR the EOS 7D - lol. More pixels on less-than-half-frame sensors isn't getting you anything but bigger files to store at this point.
11-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Quite sure?! Check the IR Comparometer shots
As I already pointed out in another thread: IR managed to back focus their K-5 shots, so they're pretty much worthless for comparing detail and sharpness. I downloaded the ISO 80 RAW, and it's quite obvious that the focus is a little behind the objects in the background, the foreground objects are pretty obviously OOF, and in some strong highlights you will see PF due to longitudinal CA of the Sigma 70 mm lens (which is also easy to see in the parts in front of focus in this photozone test shot).

11-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
As I already pointed out in another thread: IR managed to back focus their K-5 shots, so they're pretty much worthless for comparing detail and sharpness. I downloaded the ISO 80 RAW, and it's quite obvious that the focus is a little behind the objects in the background, the foreground objects are pretty obviously OOF, and in some strong highlights you will see PF due to longitudinal CA of the Sigma 70 mm lens (which is also easy to see in the parts in front of focus in this photozone test shot).
As I responded, no amount of focusing imprecision is responsible for the horrid detail smearing of the K5's red channel. As for focusing issues, the K5 shots look comparable (in terms of focus) to the D7000 shots, and don't look particularly out of focus in many parts of the frame. Sounds like a convenient conspiracy theory, though.
11-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
As I responded, no amount of focusing imprecision is responsible for the horrid detail smearing of the K5's red channel. As for focusing issues, the K5 shots look comparable (in terms of focus) to the D7000 shots, and don't look particularly out of focus in many parts of the frame. Sounds like a convenient conspiracy theory, though.
They're clearly back-focussed and in addition they have thinner DOF (they were shot at f/5.6 and not f/8 as for the other cameras), if you can't see that, you don't need any FF camera but new reading glasses!

As for "conspiracy theory", IR has acknowledged the errors and will reshoot.
11-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll add that (of course it is DPR) we have absolutely NO detail about the NR settings used for K5 shots which means they are about useless.

For the D7000 they did with different NR settings.