Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
CANON IS TEH AWESOMENESSSS.

No seriously, I have been praising Pentax. They did a great job with the sensor. Well actually Sony did a great job with the sensor. Pentax did a great job with the stuff that happens after the shutter clicks. Apparently you haven't read crap about what I have said. I have been saying all along K-5 will be on top for a while. It's an amazing camera. It's got it all, small, WR, great ergonomics for most, and great IQ.

I am still here because I love Pentax. It's as obvious as that. See my signature? Yea I have a Canon. But I also have a Pentax. I still shoot with the K200. Would I pick the K200 over the 7D for landscapes? Heck yes. Would I pick it over the 7D for star shots, you bet your ass I would. But there are some things it can't do, so I chose a system that would work.

So, that being said, thanks for being an ***. Greatly appreciate it.
I wasn't being an a**. I have read much of what you have said in other threads. And many of them carry a negative tone. You may not see that but I do and so do the other hat have replied to your answers. I completely understand for running a dual system, I do. You need to shoot with what works for you. What bothers me is that you try to mitigate what ever positive point does come up. Every system has their strength and weakness.

I don't need to go over that with you. This is a Pentax forum and so please let people enjoy the lime light. That is all that I am saying.

P.s. The previous post was the most positive response from you that I have seen. Maybe you should proof read your posts to check their tone.

P.s.s. I never stated that you didn't like Pentax, I just want to clarify just incase you did not notice.

11-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I am still here because I love Pentax. It's as obvious as that. See my signature? Yea I have a Canon. But I also have a Pentax.
I looked at your signature, and I'm a bit puzzled that you chose to have two camera bodies with two mediocre lenses. Not that you can't shoot good pictures with those lenses, but still, you're not getting the most out of either of these cameras.
11-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Thank you for stating the obvious. Can you now piss on someone else's parade?
I don't think there is any need for this petulant tone here.

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Of this round Pentax wins.
... and it's incorrect statements of this ilk that are causing other people to be on the defensive and "piss on your parade". Nonone is taking away from this big leap forward in technology and indeed how impressive the K-5 is - everyone will testify to that. But we're basing "what beats what" based on the sensor; the sensor is one of many several factors that make a camera "the best", and by the way "the best" may only be the best for you. I also disagree with the thread title.

I need to shoot two systems because Pentax has so many gaping holes in their system setup that even if they brought out a camera with a sensor that had 20EV of DR then I still couldn't use Pentax exlusively. This is what Pentaxian fanboys don't seem to be getting into their heads.

As photographers, everyone should be celebrating the achievement of the Sony Sensor / K-5 / D7000 because it will drive intense competition between Sony, Canon, Nikon and Pentax to better each other. This competition means rewards for us because it means we will continue to make these leaps in technology with continuously improving DSLRS. Whatever manufacturer we choose, we know that they will deliver great results in future.
11-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Hahaha, I also noticed this at the bottom of the article:

Disclaimer: Note that Pentax is TOP's top advertiser this year.

Well no wonder why it is getting praise...
First time TOP reader, I take it?

11-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #35
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I looked at your signature, and I'm a bit puzzled that you chose to have two camera bodies with two mediocre lenses. Not that you can't shoot good pictures with those lenses, but still, you're not getting the most out of either of these cameras.
Well I didn't feel the need to justify to answer to people who try and pick apart my setup but I will do so here...

I'm on a college budget. I had plenty of good lenses for the K200. I had a smc 50mm 1.4, a 135 2.8, sigma 70-210, sears 50 1.7, and a few others. But I sold those to fund the new camera. I kept the kit just because it was the most versatile. I am honestly waiting for the 18-135 to come out and see some reviews because it could be a great WR combo with the K200 if I feel like taking a smaller setup out. Especially for hiking.

And the no lenses for the 7D. The 28-135 is a kit lens. The kit version had an excellent deal going on so I got it about a month ago. Let me ask you, how many lenses did you have within a month of purchasing your first camera? I already have two picked out, just waiting on some money to get back to me from selling everything to fund.

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
First time TOP reader, I take it?
Yep. Still it was just funny that they have a huge article praising the K-5 then immediately tell you they are sponsored by them. It's not like they would point out too many weak spots. At least they are nice and do that, unlike DPR and the-digital-picture.
11-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mike Johnston is a big fan of Pentax (whatever his sponsorship might be), but I think that he also tries to be honest. Most web sites/magazines are sponsored by someone -- amazon, nikon, canon, whoever. As long as they don't let it change their reviews, it probably doesn't really matter.
11-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Let me ask you, how many lenses did you have within a month of purchasing your first camera?
I was only 14 years old and I only had one, but it was a good 50mm lens But lenses for the Topcon Unirex were hard to find, so I sold it after two years in order to fund a Pentax MX...

I just thought that buying such an expensive body as the 7D AND keeping your original body seemed like a suboptimal solution if you're on a budget. Lenses are better investments than cameras, and much more so than they were when I was your age (I bought the LX at the age of 21 and kept it as my main camera for 25 years).
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think the K7 was Pentax's Windows ME of DSLR evolution.
Both bodies are the same and unless your a pixel peeper most people will not see any difference in 100-800 iso images. And $400 more is alot to pay for non Pentax users over the D7000 . I think there will be a huge price pressure on the K-5 to come down compared to the D7000 after all of the major reviews of both are up and the Canon 60D beats both for video and has been as low as $849 in the last week.

11-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
I don't think there is any need for this petulant tone here.

... and it's incorrect statements of this ilk that are causing other people to be on the defensive and "piss on your parade". Nonone is taking away from this big leap forward in technology and indeed how impressive the K-5 is - everyone will testify to that. But we're basing "what beats what" based on the sensor; the sensor is one of many several factors that make a camera "the best", and by the way "the best" may only be the best for you. I also disagree with the thread title.

I need to shoot two systems because Pentax has so many gaping holes in their system setup that even if they brought out a camera with a sensor that had 20EV of DR then I still couldn't use Pentax exlusively. This is what Pentaxian fanboys don't seem to be getting into their heads.

As photographers, everyone should be celebrating the achievement of the Sony Sensor / K-5 / D7000 because it will drive intense competition between Sony, Canon, Nikon and Pentax to better each other. This competition means rewards for us because it means we will continue to make these leaps in technology with continuously improving DSLRS. Whatever manufacturer we choose, we know that they will deliver great results in future.
I am not sure what I said qualified me as a fanboy? I did state that I know of many photographers that need to shoot multiple systems due to their needs. I am not oblivious to the fact that Pentax as a system is not complete like the other players. I did not state that the K-5 is the one to end all...

I did say that as of this round Pentax wins. This references the cameras themselves, I.e. 60D, D7000, and the K-5. I did not say that Pentax as a system wins. "This round..." refers to only the camera releases. Please point out any fan boy statements so that I will not make that mistake again.
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Yep. Still it was just funny that they have a huge article praising the K-5 then immediately tell you they are sponsored by them. It's not like they would point out too many weak spots. At least they are nice and do that, unlike DPR and the-digital-picture.
I should have added that the fellow who runs the site has an obsession about disclosure. He certainly does point out weak spots, by the way. In the comments on that page I believe he agreed with a commenter who said that the lack of a fast "35mm-e" prime from Pentax is deal-breaker.
11-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I should have added that the fellow who runs the site has an obsession about disclosure. He certainly does point out weak spots, by the way. In the comments on that page I believe he agreed with a commenter who said that the lack of a fast "35mm-e" prime from Pentax is deal-breaker.
If a 35mm f/2.4 is a dealbreaker when you can use ISO 6400 without any effort... Maybe it's better to have the sharper lens. We really should rethink our priorities. The speed of the lens is not all that is important.
11-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
If a 35mm f/2.4 is a dealbreaker when you can use ISO 6400 without any effort... Maybe it's better to have the sharper lens. We really should rethink our priorities. The speed of the lens is not all that is important.
What he wanted was a 35mm-equivalent, ie a 24mm or thereabout. One answer is the da21, but it's not exactly fast.
11-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #43
Pentaxian

We shouldn't say "best APSC camera" if DxO talks about best APSC sensor.

That's not very serious from the owner of what intends to be the leading Pentax forum.
11-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
We shouldn't say "best APSC camera" if DxO talks about best APSC sensor.

That's not very serious from the owner of what intends to be the leading Pentax forum.
Agreed.
11-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #45
Raylon

I just thought that buying such an expensive body as the 7D AND keeping your original body seemed like a suboptimal solution if you're on a budget.
Very true. I have received a very nice offer for the K200 so I am debating whether to keep it or not. It's in flawless condition after two years and I am having a hard time parting with it.

Lenses are better investments than cameras, and much more so than they were when I was your age (I bought the LX at the age of 21 and kept it as my main camera for 25 years).
Again, good point. Especially true of lenses such as the FA* series or any old pentax glass for that matter, and most L lenses. They will last forever and outlive their mounts so to speak. And man do I wish stuff nowdays would last as long as that. The build quality is good but there is just too much stuff that can fail compared to the entirely mechanically operated cameras of yesteryear.