Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I think there will be a huge price pressure on the K-5 to come down compared to the D7000 after all of the major reviews of both are up and the Canon 60D beats both for video and has been as low as $849 in the last week.
In Australia the D7000 and k-5 are priced exactly the same, give or take $100. And I note on the DXO entry for both cameras DXO also peg them at pretty much exactly the same price too. I can't understand the scale of the price difference in the USA.

And gee, you really love that 60D don't you. You talk about it in every post. Just buy one already.

11-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In Australia the D7000 and k-5 are priced exactly the same, give or take $100. And I note on the DXO entry for both cameras DXO also peg them at pretty much exactly the same price too. I can't understand the scale of the price difference in the USA.

And gee, you really love that 60D don't you. You talk about it in every post. Just buy one already.
If the K-5 was $1,199 here in the US like the D7000 I would get it but it looks like it won't drop to that price soon. I will wait a few more months but if I get the 60D I will still keep all of my Pentax gear .
11-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Moore's Law. Rumors in the Canon camp are a 28 MP FF sensor w/102k ISO. Also in the works is a FF sensor with 20 stops of DR. I mean it's not a guess that the K-5 will be surpassed, it will be, it's just a matter of when. I am guessing that the next round, 5D mark 3 and 7D mark 2 will definitely pass it. But K-5 will sit on top of APS-C's for now.
Should I be happy that Pentax can give me an excellent camera for a good price, or worried that Canon will surpass them, in the future?
Difficult choice...

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
This is a Pentax forum and so please let people enjoy the lime light. That is all that I am saying.
I wish Canikon fans will do exactly that. We're letting them enjoy their tools, they should let us enjoy using ours.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Mike Johnston is a big fan of Pentax (whatever his sponsorship might be), but I think that he also tries to be honest.
Mike Johnston is definitely not a fanboy, and his writings are most interesting.
Of course, he praised Pentax before; e.g. the FA Limiteds, or the DA 35mm Limited. But these are products which deserves all the praise.
11-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #49
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Should I be happy that Pentax can give me an excellent camera for a good price, or worried that Canon will surpass them, in the future?
Difficult choice...
You should pick what system works best for you, and invest in it. Don't buy into a system based on one body. Kind of like the K-7. People didn't buy into Pentax(most likely) to get the K-7. They either were former Pentax users or were wanting the WR and small body. But it now has paid off in the form of the K-5.

Bodies come and go, lenses stay forever. Well, basically till they break or a new mount is introduced

11-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Oh, but I'm not "investing" in a system; since it's just a hobby, there is no ROI.
I made my choice years ago. I'm asking the Canikonians to respect my choice.
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #51
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Oh, but I'm not "investing" in a system; since it's just a hobby, there is no ROI.
I made my choice years ago. I'm asking the Canikonians to respect my choice.
Well, you purchased a body, and a lens. And maybe a few more. That is considered investing. And I completely respect that choice. I made the same choice two years ago too.
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I try to justify to my wife that my LBA is for investment purposes

But let's face it, unless you're actively out there generating income and a profit with your gear, it's going to remain a depreciating asset.

11-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #53

i love this one

Name:  ScreenShot001.jpg
Views: 5680
Size:  69.9 KB
11-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisNLD Quote
i love this one

Why are D7000 and k-5 listed as full format here?
11-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Why are D7000 and k-5 listed as full format here?
The K5 is full format. It's a full APS-C format.
11-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
And man do I wish stuff nowdays would last as long as that. The build quality is good but there is just too much stuff that can fail compared to the entirely mechanically operated cameras of yesteryear.
Indeed. But actually, my LX (despite being in a somewhat miserable condition right now, it needs servicing again, the mirror is getting "sticky") has outlived some of my lenses, like the Tokina AT-X 28-85mm I bought in 1982, which has a worn-out focusing barrel (and although it was praised for quality in its time, and it has a very nice all-metal construction, it's not good enough to invest any repair costs), same with my old Vivitar 24mm f/2.8, even one of my two SMC Pentax-M 50mm/1.7 is not focussing properly any more.