Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is the best APS-C DSLR

I was actually looking to see how the K-5's sensor compares to that of the K-7 (that's a whole other story), when I saw this:

Name:  pentaxk5.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  218.8 KB

Quite impressive, I must say! What's not impressive is that the K-7 is at the bottom of the list

BTW, I'm going to share this here, as people have been complaining about its visibility: here's a series of brief articles exploring the K-5's other great features (apart from the great IQ).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam. Quite remarkable that the #1 on score of 89 is a $40,000 camera while K-5 on 82 is equal 4th with the 645D and the D3s.
11-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks rather lonely up there! I've never owned a benchmark before.
11-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #4

Congratulations to all pentaxians with the outcome of the DxO tests.
The K5 has so many features (artistic filters, hdr, etc) that are specifically aiming at the Jpeg shooter. Will this DxO outcome also affect the Jpeg quality in terms of quality improvement compared to K7 for example ? Or does this completely depend on the jpeg enging and could the jpeg quality be equal (disapointing) to the K7 ?

Thanks for your info and have a nice day

11-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
Will this DxO outcome also affect the Jpeg quality in terms of quality improvement compared to K7 for example ? Or does this completely depend on the jpeg enging and could the jpeg quality be equal (disapointing) to the K7 ?
I seem to recall Adam proclaiming that the JPEG engine of the K-5 is outstanding.
11-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, just to be clear, the K5 has the "best sensor" of any APS-C camera tested to date. It is a little unclear on the D7000 yet.

There are also other reasons to buy a camera and I think auto focus on the K5 still lags just a bit compared to other bodies out there (more due to the SDM lenses I imagine than the camera body). Still, looks to me like a clear win for Pentax.
11-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, just to be clear, the K5 has the "best sensor" of any APS-C camera tested to date. It is a little unclear on the D7000 yet.

There are also other reasons to buy a camera and I think auto focus on the K5 still lags just a bit compared to other bodies out there (more due to the SDM lenses I imagine than the camera body). Still, looks to me like a clear win for Pentax.

To me, the D7k image quality is a closed case. Based on the imaging resource sample photos, I'm very sure I am getting better stuff out of my K5.

11-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
now put up a jpg of its dynamic range score vs every camera ever made
11-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
..........................What's not impressive is that the K-7 is at the bottom of the list
I think the K7 was Pentax's Windows ME of DSLR evolution.
11-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

i think the term "Best APSC" needs to be clarified. best in terms of what?
for now, yes the IQ is on top, however, IQ is just one aspect of a camera not to mention the SYSTEM

but nonetheless, very impressive k5 iq!
11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you go to the landscape filter (which is DR), the K-5 is the best camera tested, period, beating not only every APS-C, but also every FF and MF camera!
11-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I was actually looking to see how the K-5's sensor compares to that of the K-7 (that's a whole other story), when I saw this
Yup, did the same the other day. In fact, check APS-C/1.3 (meaning APS-C and APS-H) as well and see what happens when Canon EOS 1D Mark II/III/IV come into picture. Enjoy... :-)
11-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Adam, thanks a bunch After i read your post, i noticed that my K20d is no longer working.

Just kidding, it worked very nicely yesterday, nevertheless its great to see Pentax hit it out of the park. the bad news is this won't help the K5 price go down to where i can buy it.

Can we have a bit more negative news?
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyway you see it, Pentax is up for a number of awards with the K-5...
11-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think the K7 was Pentax's Windows ME of DSLR evolution.
Blame it in the Koreans for coming out with such a shoddy sensor...
Yeah I went thru the Windows ME experience now that you mention it.