Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

New 35mm sensor from kodak, will we see it in pentax bodies?

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business/ISS/News/pressReleases/archive/2010/pr2.jhtml

Kodak made a new 35mm sensor. Possible that Pentax will go for it?

11-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anything is possible.
11-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business/ISS/News/pressReleases/archive/2010/pr2.jhtml

Kodak made a new 35mm sensor. Possible that Pentax will go for it?
For what sort of camera? This is a CCD and maxes at four fps. It's part of an established line that's aimed at specific applications - industrial inspection, aerial photography, and security.

Will Pentax us it in surveillance cameras? Quite possible. In DSLR?? I cannot see how that would work out.

Sony is doing very well for us. TRUESENSE would be, I think, a distraction.
11-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No way in here's why:
It has a global shutter but is NOT a full frame CCD (no, this has nothing to do with the sensor size) but Interline Transfer CCD. I have never seen such a sensor in a DSLR and very much doubt there will be any in near future.

Kodak CCD sensors used in DSLR are KAF-xxxxxx
Interline CCD are KAI-xxxxxxxx

EDIT: here's a link from DPR explaining (easily) the differences between both types of CCDs:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs620x/

Last edited by thibs; 11-07-2010 at 09:21 AM.
11-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No way in here's why:
It has a global shutter but is NOT a full frame CCD (no, this has nothing to do with the sensor size) but Interline Transfer CCD. I have never seen such a sensor in a DSLR and very much doubt there will be any in near future.

Kodak CCD sensors used in DSLR are KAF-xxxxxx
Interline CCD are KAI-xxxxxxxx

EDIT: here's a link from DPR explaining (easily) the differences between both types of CCDs:
Kodak Pro DCS620x Review: 1. Intro: Digital Photography Review
Kodak Announces Highest Resolution Interline Transfer CCD Image Sensor

4 fps at 29 MP

yes...KAI is for industrial use...

But there are KAF-18000 (FF) and KAF-37500, but I can't see such sensors at Kodak web-site.
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax must have a relationship with Kodak due to the 645D, so I don't see any technical reasons Pentax could not use a full frame CCD from Kodak in such a body (the KAI/KAF point not withstanding).

Look at the K-7, K-5, and 645D... They all share a lot of the same properties. Given Pentax has recent experience with implementing and coding for Kodak sensors and would most likely be able to apply their existing PRIME electronics to process 4fps out of a FF sensor... I don't see any massive technical issues. Not to mention they could probably take other existing engineering aspects like viewfinder prism designs from their newer film cameras. I think it all comes down to the desire of Pentax to get into FF or not.

A compact Pentax 35mm full frame body with a Kodak CCD ala. 645D would be my most desired camera body at the moment. The cost of entry should be a lot lower than a 645D due to lenses and sheer cost scale differences, but will still reap the physical benefits, to a degree, like a larger frame camera does (bigger viewfinder, no crop, probably ISO benefits). Although I wonder how a current or near future Kodak FF sensor would rank compared to the K-5's high DR Sony sensor at this point...

The big question is will Pentax get into full frame to fill that gap between APS-C and MF. It will be interesting to see if that new WR super zoom lens is capable of filling a FF sensor. We already know the 35mm f2.4 is more than adequate. I think it all comes down to business and not technical issues.
11-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Everything is possible, but I don't see Pentax going for a 4fps FF camera when the K-5 is 7fps. A FF from Pentax can't be slower or lesser specced than the flagship APS-C camera of the moment. Having the 645D as the "landscape camera", a FF have to be an action camera.

11-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Everything is possible, but I don't see Pentax going for a 4fps FF camera when the K-5 is 7fps. A FF from Pentax can't be slower or lesser specced than the flagship APS-C camera of the moment. Having the 645D as the "landscape camera", a FF have to be an action camera.
Why? The 7D is faster than the 5D MkII.
11-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If this thread is deteriorating into another FF exercise, I'm off for a beer. Again.

And whilst doing so, I will contemplate how well Sony is serving Pentaxians.
11-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Point noted. However I think having a FF "field camera" is just what I would want. I don't need or want a FF machine gun. Sports and action fit better in the APS-C realm due to the crop factor benefit. I want a small light Pentax FF that's a mix of the K-7/5 and 645D. Not to mention the 645D is what... 1.1 fps or something? With the Kodak sensor, it would basically be a cost effective option for users looking for the physical benefits of a larger sensor camera (view finder, crop factor, ...). With the Kodak CCD that means no video or live view, but I would be okay with that. Pentax doesn't need to do more me-to machine gun cameras, Pentax (and I ) I think would be better suited to a FF shotgun camera in a hand gun body!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If this thread is deteriorating into another FF exercise, I'm off for a beer. Again.
And whilst doing so, I will contemplate how well Sony is serving Pentaxians.
It's an endless cycle, but that's the point of forums isn't it?
11-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
ogl
Banned

D3s/D700 and 7D, and even K-r are faster than FF cameras with more MP.
11-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Pentax must have a relationship with Kodak due to the 645D, so I don't see any technical reasons Pentax could not use a full frame CCD from Kodak in such a body (the KAI/KAF point not withstanding).
Simple, if KAF sensor, no Video, no LV which means no market.
A rangefinder would be OK, otherwise no way. And since Pentax never did any RF AFAIK, we should forget all about that sensor.
11-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Sure, but 5MDII is not the Canon flagship. Eos 1D and 1DS are. And they are more specced cameras than 7D. Same can be said for D3X, D700 and D300.

A FF camera from Pentax would be "the" flagship of the line, and I think it couldn't be slower than K-5 or following cameras. IMHO.
11-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Simple, if KAF sensor, no Video, no LV which means no market.
A rangefinder would be OK, otherwise no way. And since Pentax never did any RF AFAIK, we should forget all about that sensor.
4 fps at 29 MP is not sensor for Leica M. No need 4 fps for rangefinder camera.
11-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Sure, but 5MDII is not the Canon flagship. Eos 1D and 1DS are. And they are more specced cameras than 7D. Same can be said for D3X, D700 and D300.

A FF camera from Pentax would be "the" flagship of the line, and I think it couldn't be slower than K-5 or following cameras. IMHO.
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III has 5 fps@21MP
Sony A900 - 5 fps@24 MP
D3X - 5 fps@24 MP

EOS-1D is not FF camera.

4fps@29MP is good for such MP.