Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the most interesting thing is the globalshutter, 29 MP isn't any breakthrough. this could be used to develop a groundbreaking EVIL system for instance, or one kickass Rangefinder that is silent (one reason lieca has been so popular is the whisper quiet shutter) the 4 fps is more than sufficient for either of these applications. but this is targeted at industrial use and the target markets fit well with the camera
I don't see pentax being remotely interested in this though a KAF variant to build the groundbreaking EVIL they have talked about could be possible
(think how thin an evil body could be eliminating the mechanical shutter)

11-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This may help understand differences between full frame and interline CCDs:
http://www.*************/reviews/kodakdcs620x/

Replace ******* by d p r e v i e w . c o m
11-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This may help understand differences between full frame and interline CCDs:
http://www.*************/reviews/kodakdcs620x/

Replace ******* by d p r e v i e w . c o m
they have to start somewhere, and with this small step in technology it won't be all that long before they manufacture a full frame global shutter CCD.
11-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #34

I've talked with Pentax on the international nature photo festival in Montier en Der in France.
They said they won't release a FF camera in the next coming two years because they focus now on the 645D ("this is our FF"). And when they look at FF sales of Sony, it is scary, they said. Most of them stay on the shelves...

Sony doesn't sell FFs very well, compared to C & N. So Pentax won't take the risk now to bring an FF on the market which won't sell that much. The latest K series are much more interesting financially speaking. And no lenses for FF, except old ones, FA Ltds and DFAs.

So, still have to wait...

Little anecdote:
Canon said "the most interesting points with C cameras are x, y and SHUTTER NOISE"
rofl He never heard the noise of a K7 or even better, the K5???

11-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I don't know if the 5D MkII has worse ISO than the 7D. I find that hard to believe. The 5D series is meant for professional, full frame performance with high IQ in a slightly smaller package (w/o grip). Most of the instances I've seen them used are portrait situations and functions (weddings, engagements, graduations). For your instances, I'd think the 1D MkIII or the 7D. Much faster AF. It just matters if you can pony up the dough to get the IQ of the 1D.

Otherwise, the K5 AF seems to be much improved, and you could always go that route.

As mentioned just above, talked with Canon and Pentax. About C, you were right.
Apologies. Maybe the 5D Miii will be better than 7D, but not for sure they said. At least what concerns speed. 5D is indeed more for studio work. 7D for speed and pursuit. I tested the 7Ds AF and it is just... amazing!!! They just lack weather sealing.

K5 is impressive also. Indeed, a much better AF than K7, but still far from Canon's AF.

So, to get back to the discussion. I agree with the integration of this Kodak sensor in P&S. But is 29MP not a bit too much for a P&S?
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS 7D

They lack weather sealing?! As you can see, the EOS 7D has dust and weather sealing.
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #37

Indeed, 7D has dust and weather sealing, but on the net, you can find very opposite stories.
One takes pictures during snow storms, no problem. Another one has some rain on it during a minute or two -> 7D KO
and Canon says those weather conditions are not included in the warranty.

I talked with Canon about this and they confirm: don't go out with your camera when it rains. Only light rain could do and still
it would be risky Canon said. It is not made for it. A 1Ds is.

I think we have to admit that Pentax's weather sealing is way better than the one of the 7D.

1Ds weather sealing

7D weather sealing

The 1Ds has rubber joints where the 7D has none, some or only some foam.
For example, the 4 top buttons on the right or the joints for CF slot or battery slot.
Battery -> 1Ds and K7/5 have rubber joints, 7d it is just foam, so it can get wet and let water in.

So yes, 7D has weather sealing, but you have to be a lot more carefull than with a 1Ds, a K7 or K5...

Don't try to do this with your 7D... :

And sorry again for OoT