Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Robert, the novelty of the sarcasm in Pentax being dead has worn off - a long time ago.
Pentax has been 'dying' for many, many years, even before going digital.
Not a popular topic.

11-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Robert, the novelty of the sarcasm in Pentax being dead has worn off - a long time ago.
Pentax has been 'dying' for many, many years, even before going digital.
Not a popular topic.
Ash,

Thanks, I got it. Wasn't trying to PO anyone, just thought it nice to see a Pentax system in a warehouse club for the first time.

I researched fairly long and hard before buying my first dSLR and went with the K-x for loads of reasons known here to all. I had shot Minolta and Nikon back 20+ years ago in film and looked at those but decided that the K-x and Pentax's commitment to old glass was well worth going off the beaten trail. Nothing has made me reconsider that decision at all. What prompted my title was a thread yesterday asking if Pentax will be around in 20 years. Basically, who cares? I hope so but the bottom line is that its technology and I think Pentax offers some real bang for the buck, that's why I voted with my dollars.

Anyway, sorry to have hit a sore spot for many.
11-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Anyway, sorry to have hit a sore spot for many.
don't apologize. before the dxo mark numbers came out, there was all kind of lamenting going on about the price of the k-5 and why pentax was killing itself by not listing it at a lower price. and before that there was all kind of lamenting going on about why pentax would be committing suicide if it didn't produce a ff camera this year. i personally am ready to jump in with reasons why pentax is on the verge of demise for not issuing the da 30mm f1.8 (i think it was f1.8) that was on the road map a few years ago. it's a cantankerous bunch pentax has to deal with.
11-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax is never going to die- they pretty much invented the SLR for crying out loud :tongue:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #20

That does sound like a good sign. All I have ever seen at Costco and Sams, in SLRs, have been Canon and Nikon models.
11-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

For the life of me, I never understand the pull toward writing the eulogy of Pentax.

Aside from Pentax being a pioneer in manufacturing camera bodies, their lenses are exquisite.

I am a newbie to Pentax, but not photography, and the few bodies and lenses of them that I own are among the best in my gear.
When I compare my fotos with others who use other camera makers, I don't feel I have an inferiority complex.
In fact, quite the opposite, I saved some bucks and am doing well with some great camera gear.
11-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am deeply offended. My good friend of many years, Mr. Orson Pentax, was killed in a horrible whaling accident not 2 weeks ago.
11-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I keep seeing posts that question whether Pentax will be around. Odd to see that on a Pentax dedicated forum but anyway.

I was at BJ's Wholesale Club last night and stopped by the camera display (naturally). Guess what they had on display?

That's right a K-7 with 18-55 WR lens for $1149. Granted it's not the best price, but it is available from BJ's and that's the first time I've seen a Pentax there at all.

What is a BJ's Wholesale Club? It sounds like it may involve a police raid.

11-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What is a BJ's Wholesale Club? It sounds like it may involve a police raid.
BJ's Wholesale Club is the third largest wholesale club in the US after Costco and Sam's Club. Warehouse, no frills, large lots, etc.

Pentax K-7 14.6MP 3" Digital SLR Camera, Black - BJ's Wholesale Club
11-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've owned Pentax gear for only two years now, and have seen no signs since then that Pentax is anywhere near dead. In fact, I've only grown more encouraged with time. And I just had my good friend today, who sold me on Pentax in the first place (I was a former Canonite), mention an image quality test he read that puts the K-5 ahead of ALL cameras on the market (including APS, FF, and medium-format) except for the 645D, two of Nikon's upper-end cameras, and one other medium-format digital that I don't remember. I only wish I could remember the source so I could post it.

All this said, I think Pentax has a killer camera in the K-5 that the competition and photographic world will not be able to ignore and that will win several new converts.
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I think everyone read the post and gets what you are saying, but there are certain topics that have been through the grinder here so many times that some can't bear the thought of seeing that sausage again.
At some point, it stops being funny, at which point you just want to kill the person who started the thread.
Were I a moderator, I'd just ban anyone who started such a thread, and also ban anyone who made such a comment in a thread.
11-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter

FWIW, I think the BJs near our house is still flogging a few Olympus E410s that they've been trying to unload for years.
11-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
We should have a filter set up on the forum that automatically blocks thread, upon creation, with certain keywords in the title. "Pentax is dead", "When will we get Full Frame", "Check out my first HDR", to propose a few.
Good plan!!
11-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Lol, Olympus 4/3 users seem to content with the knowledge that their camera system is dead. They use the power of Zuiko to continue with their Undead camera system.

Zombie Olympus 4/3...brains!
Or is it frames, FRAAAMES!
11-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
At some point, it stops being funny, at which point you just want to kill the person who started the thread.
Were I a moderator, I'd just ban anyone who started such a thread, and also ban anyone who made such a comment in a thread.
I appreciate the effort it takes to moderate a discussion. I certainly haven't volunteered. For better or worse, our forum has a more relaxed approach to duplicate threads, even duplicate negative threads. In a perfect world, there would be no more than one thread on lusting for a 24x36mm Pentax sensor, and one thread on the future of Pentax, etc. Though it is not negative, I could really do with only one thread about how well the K5 did with DxO as well. It is the price of freedom, I suppose.