Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
too bad the A55 didn't do as good. wonder if they have a regular mirror SLR on the way to get things right
To be fair the a55 is half the price with kit lens than the D7000 / K-5 for the body alone, so it holds it's own very well in a bang per buck kind of way.

11-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-5? D7000 has overrated ISO. 1162 vs 1167 = it's inside the limit of measuring accuracy
I know, the difference is nothing, but still we lost the bragging rights.
11-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
Site Supporter
filmamigo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 685
It's interesting that the pixel pitch is different between these two sensors.

Thom Hogan has been going on about how Nikon is using an "in-house" sensor... but the rest of the world says that the D7000 is the same Sony Exmor that everyone else is getting.

I assumed that Nikon (and any other manufacturer that wanted to pony up) could get Sony to make minor tweaks to existing designs based on their own specifications. But the fact that the pixel pitch is different lens more credence to this being a more distinctly Nikon-only sensor.

Anyone have any better info?
11-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,826
DXO have really raced this test out the door after the K-5 result came in so strong...

It will be fun to read the reactions of all the other brand fanboy's to this result. I saw a lot of Nikon, Canon and even Sony fanboys dumping on DXO after the K-5 assessment came out, calling them not credible etc because the result disturbed their brand self-image. Now that the D7000 numbers have come in alongside the K-5's, more people are likely to accept that the DXO numbers reflect something real and interesting.

11-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,826
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
...Thom Hogan has been going on about how Nikon is using an "in-house" sensor... but the rest of the world says that the D7000 is the same Sony Exmor that everyone else is getting.
Who cares what Thom Hogan thinks? He is a self-appointed 'industry expert' and pundit with totally zero credibility.
11-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
IMO,

DXO never stated on how many samples they tests the camera so we don't don't know how much sample variation there is.

And to be honest the differences between the 2 score are so tiny that I would consider it to be equal.

Not to mention that real life is very different from those tests. I can tell by having a K10D and a K20D and used them side to side more that often, on a sensor perspective alone, the K20D is definitively a better camera with better noise performance, a more pleasing noise pattern and finer details (and good color, but the K10D has it as well) the K20D is however 1 point behind K10D at DXO mark.

Sure, it is pleasing for a Pentax fanboy fo see the K-5 ranking first of all APSC, and this will certainly be the trigger for many people bored with the size an weight of C&N systems. But those scores shall be taken with a big pinch of salt, but they don't give the full story even on pure IQ results.
11-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
It's interesting that the pixel pitch is different between these two sensors.

Thom Hogan has been going on about how Nikon is using an "in-house" sensor... but the rest of the world says that the D7000 is the same Sony Exmor that everyone else is getting.

I assumed that Nikon (and any other manufacturer that wanted to pony up) could get Sony to make minor tweaks to existing designs based on their own specifications. But the fact that the pixel pitch is different lens more credence to this being a more distinctly Nikon-only sensor.

Anyone have any better info?
As others have noted, the pixel size was obtained from Nikon literature and may be different for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't infer anything from that number.

The scores, I think, speak for themselves: identical if we assume some small sample variation.

If there's a Nikon tweak, it's a tweaklet.

And in the wrong direction .....
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,259
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
IMO,

DXO never stated on how many samples they tests the camera so we don't don't know how much sample variation there is.

And to be honest the differences between the 2 score are so tiny that I would consider it to be equal.

Not to mention that real life is very different from those tests. I can tell by having a K10D and a K20D and used them side to side more that often, on a sensor perspective alone, the K20D is definitively a better camera with better noise performance, a more pleasing noise pattern and finer details (and good color, but the K10D has it as well) the K20D is however 1 point behind K10D at DXO mark.

Sure, it is pleasing for a Pentax fanboy fo see the K-5 ranking first of all APSC, and this will certainly be the trigger for many people bored with the size an weight of C&N systems. But those scores shall be taken with a big pinch of salt, but they don't give the full story even on pure IQ results.
Same for k20 vs k7. People moaned because k7 is worse than k20 but only after they saw dxo results Lol.
Noise is more apealing with k7 as well.

11-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
To be fair the a55 is half the price with kit lens than the D7000 / K-5 for the body alone, so it holds it's own very well in a bang per buck kind of way.
it does fair well with th k-r so I guess that's a fair comparison
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #25
rm2
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 263
But, what about the low ISO. The D7000 is stuck at 100 ISO, while the K-5 goes down to about 75! Great for silky noise free landscapes.
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
But, what about the low ISO. The D7000 is stuck at 100 ISO, while the K-5 goes down to about 75! Great for silky noise free landscapes.
K-5 offers 70 and 91 versus D7000 splitting the difference at 83.

I'm not a finicky photographer so I need some info here. Is there a substantial difference between 70 and 83? Under which conditions do landscapes turn from noisy to noise-free?
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
filmamigo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 685
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Who cares what Thom Hogan thinks? He is a self-appointed 'industry expert' and pundit with totally zero credibility.
It's funny because it's true.

Amazingly he gets taken much more seriously than Ken Rockwell -- who at least makes a disclaimer that his site is for "entertainment value" only.
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 672
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
K-5 offers 70 and 91 versus D7000 splitting the difference at 83.

I'm not a finicky photographer so I need some info here. Is there a substantial difference between 70 and 83? Under which conditions do landscapes turn from noisy to noise-free?
I think you're looking at the score.

IIRC, K5 ISO goes to 80, D7k goes to 100.
11-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
70 and 83 will both be essentially noise-free. You just get a bit more dynamic range for the highlights or the shadows in there for processing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I think you're looking at the score.

IIRC, K5 ISO goes to 80, D7k goes to 100.
He's looking at measured ISO, not manufacturer-reported ISO.
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Pentax engineers and programmers are top notch! From score differences you can tell Pentax make better use of the sensor than Nikon did for sure. Although the sensors seem slightly physically different with the crop factor and pixel pitch...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
d7000, ev, iso, iso100, iso1600, iso200, iso400, iso800, k-5, pentax news, pentax rumors, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New DxO Mark camera+lens database lol101 Pentax News and Rumors 22 06-27-2010 11:31 AM
DxO Mark for Pentax KX sensor eigelb Pentax News and Rumors 1 03-09-2010 05:27 PM
I feel bad for saying this... but who else is waiting for the k-7's DXO mark? Isaac314 Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 05-29-2009 12:28 PM
New DXO Mark for K200d Das Boot Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 12-11-2008 10:37 AM
Image Resource Comparomenter: a corollary to the Mark DXO thread konraDarnok Pentax News and Rumors 5 11-27-2008 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top