Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Neos choose the K-5 & K-X DSLR of 2010

Two of the 3 position for DSLR are winner of 2010 of Neos Best Digital Camera

This web site is pretty good at comparing and giving advice to buyer of any kind of Digital Camera

K-X and K-R ( Win the entry level
K-5 The advanced level

I believe we will see a lot more prize like this in the future

Best Digital Cameras of 2010 | Neocamera

11-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, the site belongs to a PF member...
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was not aware!!
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Well, the site belongs to a PF member...
Many PF forum members work for camera review sites, including some of the big camera review sites.

It does not automatically make them biased towards Pentax.

11-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

Strange that the k-x won for both 2009 and 2010...
11-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #6

Not so strange... it was a best-buy among entry level dslrs in 2009 and still remains a best buy nowadays
11-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As the best buy, it's even better than last year

11-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like their approach - not only did they have the K-x as best for 2009 and 2010, they also kept the FinePix F200EXR there as the best buy ultra-compact point and shoot for both 2009 and 2010 too: "No new ultra-compact was able to improve in terms of image quality over last year's winner." Sometimes newest isn't always best.

As I have both the K-x and the F200EXR, I think this reviewer is very sensible.
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I like their approach - not only did they have the K-x as best for 2009 and 2010, they also kept the FinePix F200EXR there as the best buy ultra-compact point and shoot for both 2009 and 2010 too: "No new ultra-compact was able to improve in terms of image quality over last year's winner." Sometimes newest isn't always best.

As I have both the K-x and the F200EXR, I think this reviewer is very sensible.
Isn't that true. We see it all the time though. Camera companies add megapixels to already over crowded sensors and see decline in image quality. There should be a rule that products can't be released unless they are a real improvement over the previous product.
11-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

I've just had a look at this, an in the 'things you might not like' section it mentioned that the screen was flush with the left side of the camera.

So I had look at some pictures of the back - I'd never seen a K7 so assume it is the same. All I can say is what have they done - where have all the controls that were on the back of a K20D gone? Do they think that photographers no longer have thumbs on their left hands?

If they are now buried in a menu somewhere then that makes the ergonomics as bad a as a Canon.

One of the joys of K20D ergonomics is that most of the need to have controls were accessible with one button or switch. Now they're not. YUK, quite frankly. And to think I was going to buy one.
11-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ Tringle WP, if you had looked a little closer you would have seen that all the buttons on the left side of the K20D that were displaced are still on the back of the camera. The only button no longer there is the toggle switch that turns off the SR. And that issue has been discussed to death.

NaCl(some like it, some not, but nobody seems to be neurtral on it)H2O
11-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
I've just had a look at this, an in the 'things you might not like' section it mentioned that the screen was flush with the left side of the camera.

So I had look at some pictures of the back - I'd never seen a K7 so assume it is the same. All I can say is what have they done - where have all the controls that were on the back of a K20D gone? Do they think that photographers no longer have thumbs on their left hands?

If they are now buried in a menu somewhere then that makes the ergonomics as bad a as a Canon.

One of the joys of K20D ergonomics is that most of the need to have controls were accessible with one button or switch. Now they're not. YUK, quite frankly. And to think I was going to buy one.
Actually, I find that things are much easier to get to with the K7 than with the K5. As Salty says, the only button that really went away is the SR switch (Ok by me, I never used it much anyway). Menus are actually much, much easier to navigate. There is a dedicated iso button (OK worked Ok before, but I forgot about it half the time and had to use the function key).

The K20's menus are pretty bad. Pages to scroll through before you find the thing you are looking for. The only thing that is tougher to get to on the K7 is bracketing, but my understanding on the K5 is that the RAW button is now assignable to that feature.
11-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
@ Tringle WP, if you had looked a little closer you would have seen that all the buttons on the left side of the K20D that were displaced are still on the back of the camera. The only button no longer there is the toggle switch that turns off the SR. And that issue has been discussed to death.

NaCl(some like it, some not, but nobody seems to be neurtral on it)H2O
In addition, @ Tringle WP, as I understand the button/function layout, it's arranged to allow the photographer to fine tune the camera to fit the scene with one's thumb/forefinger while observing the subject through the view finder. Perfectly sensible concept, would you not agree?

Cheers...
11-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
it's arranged to allow the photographer to fine tune the camera to fit the scene with one's thumb/forefinger
Indeed. The K-x has a similar layout to the K-5 and I can completely operate the K-x with one hand. With my K200D, which has a similar rear layout to the K20D, it's a 2 hand operation to do most things.
11-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Forum Member

All right, maybe a slight overreaction - ahem, but I use the bracketing button a lot and the IS on/off switch quite a lot, and I always hold my cameras,even the P+S, with two hands.

I'll got to the local (well 40 miles away) camera store in due course and have a play.

No, you can't use the K5 layout to make exposure compensation adjustments with the camera to your eye - the ex compensation button is on the top plate behind the shutter button making it all but impossible to dial in some compensation without holding it in both hands and away from your face. On the K10/20D it's a thumb press and a turn of the front dial. Ditto bracketing. Barcketing buried in a menu somewhere? You've got to be joking, surely.

The menu system will have to be really whizzo to make up for these serious shortcomings.