Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consumer Reports December 2010 Issue - Pentax Ratings

So I just got my December issue and Pentax did well. The K-7 ended up in 4th position and the K-X in 8th! Three Canon models the 7D, T2i and T1i came in ahead of the K-7. It did my heart good to see Pentax beat out 2 Nikons, 4 Sony models and 1 Olympus.
It will be interesting to see how they rate the K-5 when they test again!

All in all I'm glad I picked Pentax. You may not run into many Pentax users when out shooting. I've taken some photo classes locally taught by a professional photographer and I think that I have proven that Pentax can hold its own against Canon and Nikon! I think in the beginning she was skeptical that my equipment would perform as well as her's or others that had Nikon equipment, but so far there hasn't been anything that I can't do that the Canon and Nikon users have been able to do!!!!

Yeah Pentax....you got me for life!!!

11-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the next issue, the K-5 will be number one

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't imagine how it couldn't be at the top based on what I've been reading on this site. Oh how I would love my own K-5...maybe Santa will be nice this year...one can hope!!!
11-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see these results but this is old hat.
Over the years, Pentax tends to be in the mix when the dust settles.
Good, well made stuff, somehow the newbies are scared because of the lack of branding.
Enjoy before the rest realize the Canikon errors of their ways.

11-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #5

I saw the rating and was surprised that CR didn't list the K7 as a recommended buy. I think CR did not place enough emphasis on the value of a WR body & lens at the K7 price point, especially if you consider that the feature is available on the Canon 7D but at a cost of an additional $700 (that's a 70% higher price tag!!! $1000 K7 v. $1700 7D-WOW!). I was also surprise that the IQ on the "regular photo" (non-flash?) K7 was only rated "good" and low light photos was "excellent". I would have expected just the opposite (my opinion). I agree with that video quality as just "good" but think the nearly one pound (14oz) lighter weight of the K7 is undervalued by CR. For me, when it's all said and done, I know "street-price" wise I can get a K7 with the 18-55 WR lens for under $900 while the 7D with similar lens is under $1600. That's a big spread price wise and considering the that the K7 is nearly half the price of the top rated 7D, from a "best bang for the buck" perspective, I feel the K7 deserved a "recommended buy" rating from CR. However, if the K5 turns out to be what I'm expecting and it's price drops closer to the current price of a K7, I would guess that it may be next years top rated DSLR in CR and certainly a recommended buy (and the Kr should be the #1 best buy on a "best bang for the buck" basis if it's priced at around $700 by then). Just my own opinion that I'm sharing.