Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

The K-5 over at TOP

Looks like MJ over at The Online Photographer has chosen the K-5 as his first dslr in many years.

The Online Photographer

11-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good for him. I, too, am without doubt going to finally upgrade, to a K-5 -- it's just mindblowing how many things this camera does right. There is nothing else in the marketplace like it. Pentax is being wise in advertising on TOP; their readership, and people like Mike, is exactly the kind of people that Pentax cameras appeal to, and that Pentax should go after. If enough real photo enthusiasts start using Pentax (and to me Pentax has always been the enthusiast's camera) then maybe others will open their eyes to these awesome cameras as well.
11-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I wasn't entirely taken by surprise because he's always shown interest in the system, but it's a good boost for Pentax no doubt!
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A link directly to the article in question, in case anyone finds this thread days from now and are wondering what we're talking about:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/11/mikes-new-camera.html

11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Miserere. I didn't even think to do that at the time
11-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mike Johnson is a photographers photographer. And an unashamed lens nut to boot! Pentax have a very nice opportunity here for a bit of exposure by loaning him a DA15, DA21 and even a DA35 f2.4 and hearing his opinion as expressed by his blog.
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is actually sort of a big deal for Pentax, and maybe even this forum as he linked in here in his post.

(I think we should all order through his links, if we're not ordering through the links here!)

11-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Interesting. I've always been keen to hear the opinion of real world photographers like the guys at ToP and Luminous Landscape and so on...
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is actually sort of a big deal for Pentax, and maybe even this forum as he linked in here in his post.

(I think we should all order through his links, if we're not ordering through the links here!)
Indeed. I've been trying to figure out why my video started getting hit like crazy in the last day in a half. Vimeo said they were coming fomr PF, but that thread had been dead for a few days, then I finally realized that he linked to it in his post.

Thanks, Mike!
11-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Interesting. I've always been keen to hear the opinion of real world photographers like the guys at ToP and Luminous Landscape and so on...
I was impressed by his comment that he gave 25% of his decision to the quiet shutter. he said that after a Leica shutter, he didn't want a noisy one. One can't take a quiet shutter for a given, even on a more expensive camera. I shoot occasionally with a friend that has the Nikon D300s. he thinks his shutter is noisier than the D300 and is sort of unhappy with it. I may be wrong, but i think camera makers buy the shutters from 3rd party vendors and may save on shutter costs if they are trying to make some price point on the final camera. There is flat out, not much to dislike on the K5, IMO.
11-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I was impressed by his comment that he gave 25% of his decision to the quiet shutter. he said that after a Leica shutter, he didn't want a noisy one. One can't take a quiet shutter for a given, even on a more expensive camera. I shoot occasionally with a friend that has the Nikon D300s. he thinks his shutter is noisier than the D300 and is sort of unhappy with it. I may be wrong, but i think camera makers buy the shutters from 3rd party vendors and may save on shutter costs if they are trying to make some price point on the final camera. There is flat out, not much to dislike on the K5, IMO.
Similar thing happened in Olympus-land. The E-1 shutter was much much quieter than the E-3. Odd kinda thing to go backward on...
11-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm of the persuasion that the K-5 shutter is even quieter than the K-7. There is a very noticeable difference by the naked ear. Although I supposed it could be that my old K-7 is beginning to wear a bit in the shutter mechanism, resulting in slightly looser tolerances and more noise. I guess the only way to be sure would be to compare new k-7 against new k-5.

The K-5 is so silent, that I was shooting a function last night for kicks, and I was walking around with the fisheye on the K-5, and I was shooting candids without the camera to my eye. I had to keep checking to see if it was actually taking pictures because I could hear anything over the moderate room noise or feel it in my hand. I kept pressing the shutter release, and then thinking, "Did it just take a picture? I didn't hear or feel anything."